What's new

Tomic to the Jazz

Think I'd rather have Pleiss than Tomic. I watched a few minutes of youtube clips (so you know I've done my homework) and he operates a lot in the post. He is skilled and moves well but still really skinny. I am not sure he'll be able to hold his position in the pros.

He does seem like a smart player and seemed to have a decent jumper from 15 to 18 feet. I'd like him a lot more if he could shoot the 3.

Locke on DJ PK -- Quin loves Tomic, he talks about him all the time.

Locke says Tomic could come over and be a backup big...it will cost more than it should, but the jazz could pay him more for two seasons before Gobert gets his big contract.

If Quin likes him, then I am sold.

Also, the google translation of that article is some underrated comedy. They said they would be low on Mario Hezonja, kind of like people are low on gas and need to fill up. There are some gems, courtesy of google.

Locke said on 1280 that Q is really high on Tomic and that he is more than likely coming over next season. Sweet. I never thought I'd see the day....

O_O

would like a better source

awesome??!

sportando is a really good source for eurostuff. Like, the best as far as I'm aware. I cannot recall them every blowing a call.

Locke said on 1280 that Q is really high on Tomic and that he is more than likely coming over next season. Sweet. I never thought I'd see the day....

He was talking about Tomic as the backup C, and as a decent passer, decent offensively, but not great defensively.
That's fine for a backup, and it would be nice to have a 7 footer as a backup C.
A buyout of a contract like this does not affect the salary cap, correct? It is just a hit to the owners wallets?
Either way I'm encouraged that they are willing to finally pull the trigger on something like this enough for rumors to get out.

He was talking about Tomic as the backup C, and as a decent passer, decent offensively, but not great defensively.
That's fine for a backup, and it would be nice to have a 7 footer as a backup C.
A buyout of a contract like this does not affect the salary cap, correct? It is just a hit to the owners wallets?
Either way I'm encouraged that they are willing to finally pull the trigger on something like this enough for rumors to get out.

I think they only have a certain amount that we can pay... However if his season is over we still have some cap space this year. We could bring him over and pay him a chunk this year just to get acclimated and maybe he'd take a little less next couple years in a contract to help us still have cap space.

I'd like to see his contract bought out then used in a trade for a better draft pick then bring the other guy over. From everything I've heard his defense is atrocious. I don't want him screwing with our new identity on defense. And we aren't even sure how good he will be in the nba think he has more value as a trade chip with the reputation of best big on the best team over sea's. We've seen tons of these guys come over that are the best at their positions come over and fail at the nba. We might be better off trading him before he ever plays his first nba game.

Thoughts?

I don't think he's a worse defender than Kanter. And, we need his offense. This would be huge.

So, his season is done in Europe, why not bring him over now? Is that possible?

1. it's too late for him to get into this year's rookie of the yar comp

2. then his contract would count against the cap and ruin all of our max contract fever dreams

I think he would be much better than anything they could do in FA for a backup C. With him, Burks, new SF/SG in the draft, I think we have a pretty good team next year. Just need Exum to improve.