What's new

Torn ACL, surgery or no?

Update. Going for surgery on February 21. Keep fingers crossed. Kind of lucky to get in so fast, usually wait time is 12-15 month here.... but somebody canceled and I got the spot. . Aiming to return for 2019 outdoor soccer season.

Sending my best.

Reactions: MVP
Good luck! Hope it goes well and you are running around sooner rather than later.

Anyone ever have hip surgery to repair a torn anterior superior hip labrum? I have one scheduled for Thursday and don't really know what to expect. My knee surgeries, although I've heard from people who've had the same surgeries and they weren't as bad for them, kicked my butt and were way more painful and hard to recover from. My biggest question is, how am I gonna be able to poop after surgery?

My biggest question is, how am I gonna be able to poop after surgery?

You'll be able to do that without too much trouble (unless opiates bind you up, i suffer from this terrible affliction) its more about who will clean you up afterwards... Nursing, if you're not getting spat on by arseholes you're wiping them. There is not enough money in the world...

You'll be able to do that without too much trouble (unless opiates bind you up, i suffer from this terrible affliction) its more about who will clean you up afterwards... Nursing, if you're not getting spat on by arseholes you're wiping them. There is not enough money in the world...
Opiates definitely clog my pipes. When I had my acl, mcl, lcl knee surgery, and the following year when I had both my knees operated on at the same time to fix meniscus tears, I remember just getting up to go to the bathroom was a nightmare the first 48 hours after surgery from all of the blood rushing down after keeping the knees elevated. I remember almost passing out in the bathroom, on crutches, just trying to pee, from the pain. I maybe just a wuss and all, but damn, I'm not looking forward to anything. I'm gonna make sure I'm as drugged up as possible the first week. Then again, there's the whole idea of taking pain pills which I don't like. A simple surgery and pain pills for my oldest brother was a recipe for death. Luckily, I've never had a problem with popping pills in the past.

Update - 2 weeks after surgery. Pain of knee after procedure was really not that bad and icing, NSAIDS and opioids controlled it very well. I had spinal anesthesia so was able to watch most of the surgery on the screen. According to surgeon my knee was "very nice" lol. So no meniscus damage, just acl tear. Worst part was about 1 hr post surgery when I started feeling some back pain and thought it is from spinal anesthesia, mentioned it to the nurse and she said that she will talk to anesthesiologist so he would come to check on me. But after 10 min or so I started feeling excruciating pain in my lower abdomen, tried to feel it and opps, my boxers were soaked - I realized I am leaking urine and my bladder must be really unhappy. Mentioned that to the nurse again, she started talking about placing a catheter to relieve the bladder and risks of infections, etc, etc... while I was about to pass out from the damn pain!... I told here that she should get that damn catheter as fast as possible and she rushed to get it done as my blood pressure started dropping and heart rate increasing and I was getting really dizzy. She finally got the damn catheter in ( when you are after spinal anesthesia you don't feel a thing below the waist, so freaky) and drained 700mls of urine... what a relief...all pain was gone in no time. Damn bladder!!!!
Anyway, doing physio now and trying to regain range of motion. Next week is a recheck with surgeon. Baby steps.

Update - 2 weeks after surgery. Pain of knee after procedure was really not that bad and icing, NSAIDS and opioids controlled it very well. I had spinal anesthesia so was able to watch most of the surgery on the screen. According to surgeon my knee was "very nice" lol. So no meniscus damage, just acl tear. Worst part was about 1 hr post surgery when I started feeling some back pain and thought it is from spinal anesthesia, mentioned it to the nurse and she said that she will talk to anesthesiologist so he would come to check on me. But after 10 min or so I started feeling excruciating pain in my lower abdomen, tried to feel it and opps, my boxers were soaked - I realized I am leaking urine and my bladder must be really unhappy. Mentioned that to the nurse again, she started talking about placing a catheter to relieve the bladder and risks of infections, etc, etc... while I was about to pass out from the damn pain!... I told here that she should get that damn catheter as fast as possible and she rushed to get it done as my blood pressure started dropping and heart rate increasing and I was getting really dizzy. She finally got the damn catheter in ( when you are after spinal anesthesia you don't feel a thing below the waist, so freaky) and drained 700mls of urine... what a relief...all pain was gone in no time. Damn bladder!!!!
Anyway, doing physio now and trying to regain range of motion. Next week is a recheck with surgeon. Baby steps.
Glad to hear you're doing well. I could have gone without reading that pain story post surgery though. That sounded horrific. I have surgery scheduled at 730 AM tomorrow morning and I'm not looking forward to it at all. Fml.

Glad to hear you're doing well. I could have gone without reading that pain story post surgery though. That sounded horrific. I have surgery scheduled at 730 AM tomorrow morning and I'm not looking forward to it at all. Fml.

Frankly its not dignifying to read stories about a grown man without any bladder control, followed furtive suggestions to a young woman that she not only handle his junk but stick stuff into it. Ive been to Germany, i've seen some kinky stuff but then to tell people about it on the internet, watch list stuff.

Frankly its not dignifying to read stories about a grown man without any bladder control, followed furtive suggestions to a young woman that she not only handle his junk but stick stuff into it. Ive been to Germany, i've seen some kinky stuff but then to tell people about it on the internet, watch list stuff.
Now that you mention it that way. Lol

LMAO. It could have been 13 hot virgins handling it I was not feeling a thing. Like it was not mine.

LMAO. It could have been 13 hot virgins handling it I was not feeling a thing. Like it was not mine.

yeah dude ketamine is dodgy you shouldn't play with that stuff. I like my nurse to have a bit of experience...

After I had ruptured my first achilles, it felt like the same quality pain as an ankle sprain. By the next day, I felt nothing at all unless I really moved it. So the surgeon asked me if I wanted pain medicine for after the surgery and I declined, but he ended up prescribing oxycodone anyway. I had a block done so my entire leg was numb, which was bothering me all night (not being able to feel) and I was just waiting to get feeling back because I hated having no control. Sometime mid-morning the next day that damn block started to wear off and holy **** was that a different experience of pain. One of the worst I ever felt. Called my wife to pick up the medication and threw down as much of that and ibuprofen as I could take. Eventually better but damn that hurt.

After I had ruptured my first achilles, it felt like the same quality pain as an ankle sprain. By the next day, I felt nothing at all unless I really moved it. So the surgeon asked me if I wanted pain medicine for after the surgery and I declined, but he ended up prescribing oxycodone anyway. I had a block done so my entire leg was numb, which was bothering me all night (not being able to feel) and I was just waiting to get feeling back because I hated having no control. Sometime mid-morning the next day that damn block started to wear off and holy **** was that a different experience of pain. One of the worst I ever felt. Called my wife to pick up the medication and threw down as much of that and ibuprofen as I could take. Eventually better but damn that hurt.
Surgery pain is brutal because surgeons are body carpenters and beat the **** out of your body to get what they need done.
The day after surgery pain is hard to explain unless you've had surgery (at least joint surgeries.) Ok, wait, nevermind. Not hard to explain at all. It ****ing ruthlessly hurts.

Hip surgery, so far, has been a walk in the park compared to knee surgery. The worst part about it was waking up and being in pain and not being able to get injected pain meds cause my heart beat dropped below 40 bpm so I had to take a pill and wait for it to kick in. That and I swear the doctor beeped up my ankle during the surgery cause it has hurt more than my hip, especially right after surgery. I still feel lucky considering cause I thought it was gonna be so much worse.

Update 3 month after surgery. Got permission from my surgeon to start plyometric exercises...jogging, hoping, jumping, etc... Went for a run first time since July last year - felt good at first and then after couple hundred metres my legs where like " WTF is happening, we did not do this for almost 11 month..." and all little muscles started hurting and complaining. But so much fun to have that feeling again even if I was slow as molasses. Realised how far I am from the game shape and how much work still needs to be done.

Reactions: RJF
April was 10 years since I blew mine. De-junking and found the FMLA paperwork with the date...

Glad you're doing better, @MVP. Sounds like an ugly thing to go through.