What's new

Trade deadline discussion

Not to discredit that article because I think the guy is credible... but I just think this is one of those articles where the headliners are the ones that really being discussed and the other stuff is just random strays that may not be that serious.

Shams also had a rumor about the Jazz looking for a wing, this article just builds on it. Think it’s fair to say the Jazz are in the market, whether they can find a deal or not seems less likely.

It hasn’t come from our bff Woj, however.

And I think those random strays come from common sense things people would say. For instance, a team may say something really general like they’re open to using a pick or whatever to improve _____, but in reality it’s a meaningless statement. Kinda like “hey, I’d retire tomorrow if I won the lottery,” and then state that so-and-so has been mulling retirement.

But the side note on this is that I think we’re kinda fragile and we rely a lot of chemistry and you put a few drops of uncertainty in the equation and we could quickly get some odd pudding. May not be totally inedible, but there’s going to be a “WTF is this aftertaste?” that gives us pause with each bite.
Yeah... its like when the reports come out that Buddy Hield and Marvin Bagley are available... yeah... no **** we kinda knew that. It can't be fun for guys to hear. At the moment I think this is pretty tame until the local media has nothing to talk about and then does 3 hours of radio about "which starter the Jazz will be trading".

I really wondering what the plan is in Houston. This winning streak is nice... but its really counterproductive to their long-term outlook. They need Green to be good and to add another blue chip young prospect. Think Gordon is for sure on the block... I am still wondering what it would take to wrestle Tate away. I just love him. I think he is young enough to be part of their "core" but he's a little older for a 2nd year guy.

I really wondering what the plan is in Houston. This winning streak is nice... but its really counterproductive to their long-term outlook. They need Green to be good and to add another blue chip young prospect. Think Gordon is for sure on the block... I am still wondering what it would take to wrestle Tate away. I just love him. I think he is young enough to be part of their "core" but he's a little older for a 2nd year guy.
Boston traded Doc Rivers for a first round pick. Do you think we could package Udoka and DL to Houston for Tate?

Boston traded Doc Rivers for a first round pick. Do you think we could package Udoka and DL to Houston for Tate?
If so then JZ is the GM of the year. Trades his (old) boss and a ded guy for a legitimate badass!

I wonder which starter we're looking to replace, Bogey or Royce and if we're looking to trade them or just move them to the bench and trade someone from the bench like JC or Joe?

I have my doubts that anything will happen... the list of guys that improve us over what Bojan gives us gets really small for wings that are gettable with Bojan and a 2027 1st. I think its basically Barnes and Grant. If the rumors aren't about starting level wings then things open up a bunch... but its more a grenade than a woj bomb.

I wonder which starter we're looking to replace, Bogey or Royce and if we're looking to trade them or just move them to the bench and trade someone from the bench like JC or Joe?
In my other post I kinda talked about this... if its a defensive minded upgrade as a starter it almost certainly means Bojan is in the deal or on the bench. Because I think we can't get an improvement over Bogey with just a first imo... I think it would need to be Bojan plus a first. Which is something I might do if I am Sacramento for Barnes.... they don't tank the season but pick up a future asset. The list just gets really small imo.

If it were me, I'd be open to trading Royce. He's limited offensively, he can't do much against defensive switches, he isn't long enough to guard big wings, and he isn't quick enough to guard talented guards. He looks good in the Jazz's system, but it's because he's the last guy teams need to guard. He adds toughness and some rebounds, but a lot of guys could do that. He's the most replaceable guy in our starting lineup.

Bogey is limited defensively, but he shoots 50% on corner 3s, which is pretty important to Quin's schemes. It doesn't look like Rudy Gay is going to play much more than 20 mins/night, so I don't think he's really a replacement for Bogey. The argument for trading Bogey would have to be that Joe Ingles is going to play a bigger role.

Last edited:
If it were me, I'd be open to trading Royce. He's limited offensively, he can't do much against defensive switches, he isn't long enough to guard big wings, and he isn't quick enough to guard talented guards. He looks good in the Jazz's system, but it's because he's the last guy teams need to guard. He adds toughness and some rebounds, but a lot of guys could do that.

Bogey is limited defensively, but he shoots 50% on corner 3s, which is pretty important to Quin's schemes. It doesn't look like Rudy Gay is going to play much more than 20 mins/night, so I don't think he's really a replacement for Bogey. The argument for trading Bogey would have to be that Joe Ingles is going to play a bigger role.
No... the argument would be that whoever we traded for would be playing a bigger role.

I wouldn't trade Royce for a lot of reasons.

There are like 3 guys I'd be open to replacing Bogey with that are reasonably gettable...

-Grant - not as big a fan of him as many others... but I get it.
-Barnes - Seems to be a hair better than Bogey in some key aspects. I think he might also have another mini-leap playing with more spacing and better talent.
-Gordon Hayward - Yeah I said it... would require some major pride to be swallowed but with the emergence of Miles Bridges and the fact that MJ is cheap AF... he might be willing to swap Gordon for a cheaper replacement like Bogey. I think it would require both Bogey and JC or more likely Joe.... and that is where I'd pause.

There are like 3 guys I'd be open to replacing Bogey with that are reasonably gettable...

-Grant - not as big a fan of him as many others... but I get it.
-Barnes - Seems to be a hair better than Bogey in some key aspects. I think he might also have another mini-leap playing with more spacing and better talent.
-Gordon Hayward - Yeah I said it... would require some major pride to be swallowed but with the emergence of Miles Bridges and the fact that MJ is cheap AF... he might be willing to swap Gordon for a cheaper replacement like Bogey. I think it would require both Bogey and JC or more likely Joe.... and that is where I'd pause.

In a perfect world, I think the Jazz would replace Royce with Jerami Grant, Christian Wood or Mathisse Thybulle. I'm not saying any of those deals will happen, but I don't think the Jazz are in a hurry at all to take Bogey's shooting off the floor. Jazz lead the league in 3PAs and 3PMs, and Bogey is a big part of that. Royce averages 8/5, and a lot of other players could do that---I mean, the list is long.

In my other post I kinda talked about this... if its a defensive minded upgrade as a starter it almost certainly means Bojan is in the deal or on the bench. Because I think we can't get an improvement over Bogey with just a first imo... I think it would need to be Bojan plus a first. Which is something I might do if I am Sacramento for Barnes.... they don't tank the season but pick up a future asset. The list just gets really small imo.

I said yesterday in a post that I'd be ok with moving Bogey for Barnes or Grant but now I'm starting to have second thoughts. Bogey adds so much value as a secondary scorer and he does it so efficiently and from all three levels. I just wish we could move JC instead.

I said yesterday in a post that I'd be ok with moving Bogey for Barnes or Grant but now I'm starting to have second thoughts. Bogey adds so much value as a secondary scorer and he does it so efficiently and from all three levels. I just wish we could move JC instead.

I think Bogey for Barnes is more or less a lateral move. You give up a few points worth of shooting and get back a few more rebounds. Both players are averaging 17 ppg on 12 attempts. Bogey's shooting percentage is a little higher and Bogey shoots more 3s. Unless you think Bogey is a serious defensive liability, there isn't much motivation to make that move. Bogey also plays well with Mike and Rudy, which matters since there isn't much time for the new guy to learn Quin's system.

Okay, Aaron Gordon can exploit Bogey in isolation. How many other guys are we going to face who can do that? If Aaron Gordon tries to post up Bogey, that takes the ball away from Jokic and Denver's 3pt shooters. If it gets bad, we can put Rudy Gay on the floor instead.

What the Jazz really need is someone who can slow down Paul George, KD and Giannis. That's where there's an opportunity to upgrade. Until then, the elephant in the living room is that Joe Ingles (if he's rested) can probably replace 80% of Royce's team defense.

Last edited:
Jared Butler and JC for Danny Green and Thybulle. And a pick or whatever.

I think Bogey for Barnes is more or less a lateral move. You give up a few points worth of shooting and get back a few more rebounds. Both players are averaging 17 ppg on 12 attempts. Bogey's shooting percentage is a little higher and Bogey shoots more 3s. Unless you think Bogey is a serious defensive liability, there isn't much motivation to make that move. Bogey also plays well with Mike and Rudy, which matters since there isn't much time for the new guy to learn Quin's system.

Okay, Aaron Gordon can exploit Bogey in isolation. How many other guys are we going to face who can do that? If Aaron Gordon tries to post up Bogey, that takes the ball away from Jokic and Denver's 3pt shooters. If it gets bad, we can put Rudy Gay on the floor instead.

What the Jazz really need is someone who can slow down Paul George, KD and Giannis. That's where there's an opportunity to upgrade. Until then, the elephant in the living room is that Joe Ingles (if he's rested) can probably replace 80% of Royce's team defense.

I honestly don't think the Jazz front office has the cojones to trade Donovan's best friend. I think Royce is probably safer than anyone on the team besides Rudy and Don.

I really like this trade for the Jazz. I'd even throw in one or two second round picks if we had to.
the big issue I see with it is that we'd be acquiring two players who play over 20 minutes a night, and sending out only one player getting rotation minutes. So, how do we put both acquisitions on the floor? If we can't, then that waters down the advantages for us.