What's new

Trade deadline discussion

I really like this trade for the Jazz. I'd even throw in one or two second round picks if we had to.
They’re probably really high on Thybulle. With my expertise on the Philly situation, which is from JazzAvenues threads, they aren’t too hot on Green. He’d have to be included for salary but would also be rotational for us. Not sure how much more offensive firepower they need but JC could be good for them.

the big issue I see with it is that we'd be acquiring two players who play over 20 minutes a night, and sending out only one player getting rotation minutes. So, how do we put both acquisitions on the floor? If we can't, then that waters down the advantages for us.
Good problem to have. Also makes us very able to withstand injury.

Thybulle and Green absorb all of the Forrest minutes. Green moves from about 22 mpg to 18 mpg. Keep Thybulle at his current rate around 24 mpg. Drop Royce to the same amount. In fact, have Thybulle and Royce have no overlapping time and always have one on the floor. Gives Royce more ability to go out with energy rather than playing him more minutes.

Thybulle and Green absorb all of the Forrest minutes. Green moves from about 22 mpg to 18 mpg. Keep Thybulle at his current rate around 24 mpg. Drop Royce to the same amount. In fact, have Thybulle and Royce have no overlapping time and always have one on the floor. Gives Royce more ability to go out with energy rather than playing him more minutes.
I think they should be interested in JC. And I think your breakdown of the minutes in this post is good. I still don't give it a good shot of being a realistic scenario.

You want to drop Royce O'Neale to 24 mpg?

I said yesterday in a post that I'd be ok with moving Bogey for Barnes or Grant but now I'm starting to have second thoughts. Bogey adds so much value as a secondary scorer and he does it so efficiently and from all three levels. I just wish we could move JC instead.
I admittedly have not watched the Pistons much but my guess is Bogey for Grant is much more a lateral move than some here would think. Barnes I have watched enough of to feel pretty confident it would be a small upgrade once he is up to speed. I think either deal has about as much chance for a slight dip as it does for a slight bump... so depends on what JZ's risk tolerances are. I think he's more likely to do a deal that adds to the talent base and is a slam dunk... so second round pick or first for a player... doubt he is willing to give one of our top 5 players to get a slight but maybe meaningful upgrade.

I think they should be interested in JC. And I think your breakdown of the minutes in this post is good. I still don't give it a good shot of being a realistic scenario.
I don’t think it’s realistic, either, as I really don’t think any trade involving our core guys would be realistic. But that’s a move that makes me feel good.

You want to drop Royce O'Neale to 24 mpg?
With Thybulle and Green incoming? Yes. 30+ mpg is too high. He’s been our #2 on average minutes for a while (#3 now). As much good as he does, it’s hard to find a comparison of championship teams who has someone as limited being their #2 in minutes per game.

With Thybulle and Green incoming? Yes. 30+ mpg is too high. He’s been our #2 on average minutes for a while (#3 now). As much good as he does, it’s hard to find a comparison of championship teams who has someone as limited being their #2 in minutes per game.
Yes... but that won't happen in the postseason. Quin has done a good job spreading the minutes around. Danny Green and PJ Tucker would be the championship comparison of guys that are 3-D low usage types that play high minutes.

Also you ain't getting both of those guys... you might be able to land Green though.

Also you ain't getting both of those guys... you might be able to land Green though.
Well since we no longer have Tomic to throw in then I’m going to have to put DL into the package. Morey has familiarity with him.

Well since we no longer have Tomic to throw in then I’m going to have to put DL into the package. Morey has familiarity with him.
I think I'd be good with a straight JC for Green swap. We have enough guys to cover any minute deficiencies. I think Thybulle's trade value exceeds his on court value at this point... I think Green is the inverse of that.

Philly has no guys that can get a 3 off the bounce... I think they'd be interested in this type of deal but likely either have to trade BS first or get to the deadline with no takers... then decide to do the next best deal.

I think I'd be good with a straight JC for Green swap. We have enough guys to cover any minute deficiencies. I think Thybulle's trade value exceeds his on court value at this point... I think Green is the inverse of that.

Philly has no guys that can get a 3 off the bounce... I think they'd be interested in this type of deal but likely either have to trade BS first or get to the deadline with no takers... then decide to do the next best deal.
Clarkson for Green is interesting but I’d need to see some recent footage of his defense because it seems like Philly fans haven’t been too high on him at all. You may be right in him being a PJ Tucker. It would help the usage go to more efficient guys, at least on paper.

If we have them JC for Green then I’d also want something back.

Clarkson for Green is interesting but I’d need to see some recent footage of his defense because it seems like Philly fans haven’t been too high on him at all. You may be right in him being a PJ Tucker. It would help the usage go to more efficient guys, at least on paper.
Danny Green will always be hated by fans... he's just a winning player and it isn't always obvious. He isn't as "in your face" as Tucker... and there are times when he goes 0/8 from three when fans will roast him. Facts are facts though... he is second on that team with his on/off splits... Embiid is #1. He's been a part of three different title teams. He runs like he is holding in a turd and is old AF... but it still works.

Here's a thought RE: trading JC that I think we all need to consider:

Is there a team out there who's thinking "yeah, we can get everything out of Clarkson that Utah has been getting..."? The more I think about it, the more I think the answer is No. Not only have we provided him a historically well-spread floor, but our success has put him near the top of opposing teams' scouting reports. The word is out. Part of his struggles this year have been a struggle to adapt to this.

I think there are probably only a couple of teams in the playoff hunt who would be interested (Philly, Portland, Boston, maybe Toronto come first to mind). These are teams with offenses stuck near league-average and/or who lack off-the-dribble 3pt shooters, and who might be willing to gamble on JC as a sort of accelerant.

In a perfect world, I think the Jazz would replace Royce with Jerami Grant, Christian Wood or Mathisse Thybulle. I'm not saying any of those deals will happen, but I don't think the Jazz are in a hurry at all to take Bogey's shooting off the floor. Jazz lead the league in 3PAs and 3PMs, and Bogey is a big part of that. Royce averages 8/5, and a lot of other players could do that---I mean, the list is long.
I kinda buy in to Locke's thinking about watching shot distribution and how valuable it is to have a guy like Royce who isn't an offensive liability but who also doesn't require a lot of touches.