What's new

Trade deadline discussion

I could definitely see this happening. I really hate that the rumors are already starting when the trade deadline is still two months away. This reminds me of Rubio's last season here when there was a ton of rumors swirling and him and the rest of the team played really poorly in the weeks leading up to the deadline.
ehhhhh... this is one article... the rumors were much more rampant then and it really didn't bother the team until deadline week... when we basically had already traded Rubio but Grizzlies duped us.

I trust his shot more than Covington. I think he’s a little less flammable one on one… he gets less deflections though. I just think he’s a super smart player.

Danny Green is and always has been super underrated. If we're able to get one of these long, rangey defenders it will go a long way during the playoffs. I think Royce has gotten a lot better at creating turnovers and making plays defensively, but he's not at the same level as Green or Covingrton IMO. Royce's defensive value still comes from being a B or B+ at most defensive things, but he's not a super high level on or off ball defender and that shows up against the best talent.

Player for player I agree... but that first has to be in 2027 with limited protections... unless its a fake first. That means we are on the edge of where this team can take us and we are giving up a large part of our draft future. I also think the Smart contract has a very good chance of becoming a bad contract quickly... the deal just sucks the life out of our future and I'm not sure how much it improves our chances this year. We also go up in salary instead of down... and we very much need to go down.

I see the concern, but I'm all about the here an now. I think this is the best chance the Jazz will have to win a championship for a LONG time. 2027 is beyond the end of both Gobert's and Mitchell's current deals. Even if we fall short and pay dearly for it, I can live with it knowing that we put the chips in the table when we were at our best.

Danny Green is and always has been super underrated. If we're able to get one of these long, rangey defenders it will go a long way during the playoffs. I think Royce has gotten a lot better at creating turnovers and making plays defensively, but he's not at the same level as Green or Covingrton IMO. Royce's defensive value still comes from being a B or B+ at most defensive things, but he's not a super high level on or off ball defender and that shows up against the best talent.
I was kinda shocked when Lakers moved him.

The fear I have for trading anyone is that the one big positive this team has is real on and off the court chemistry. Trading any piece of that has a major chance at disrupting it, which I guess is the downside of having real on/off court chemistry.

I mean there are instances where you do have to roll the dice there, but I'm guessing the Jazz won't unless it's a deal too good to pass up, or they go into a real bad slide a few weeks before the deadline.

ehhhhh... this is one article... the rumors were much more rampant then and it really didn't bother the team until deadline week... when we basically had already traded Rubio but Grizzlies duped us.

It's not something I'm worried about right at this very moment but this is already two or three articles in two days and the deadline is still two months away. As we get closer to the deadline the rumors are going to really heat up and start coming in bunches. Hopefully it won't be a problem but this team can be a bit mentally weak at times so I could see it impacting our play and possibly costing us some games near the deadline.

Somehow the ended up without Caruso, Green, and KCP. THT is good at making circus layups though.....
They didn't deserve AC Fresh.

Rumor has it they could have had Lowry last year (and likely this year) if they had put THT in the deal. He's fine but calm the hell down.

The difference in salary between Clarkson and Green is about $2.5M, so that saves a lot of tax money.

They didn't deserve AC Fresh.

Rumor has it they could have had Lowry last year (and likely this year) if they had put THT in the deal. He's fine but calm the hell down.
Why would you trade for Lowry though when you can have a dynamic playmaker like Westbrook?

The difference in salary between Clarkson and Green is about $2.5M, so that saves a lot of tax money.
He's also non-guaranteed for next year... so if he's awesome we can keep him... if not we are out of tax hell with Ingles and Green expiring.

The fear I have for trading anyone is that the one big positive this team has is real on and off the court chemistry. Trading any piece of that has a major chance at disrupting it, which I guess is the downside of having real on/off court chemistry.

I mean there are instances where you do have to roll the dice there, but I'm guessing the Jazz won't unless it's a deal too good to pass up, or they go into a real bad slide a few weeks before the deadline.
If the Jazz have a move that improves their weaknesses while not significantly diminishing their strengths they need to go for it, even if it affects their good vibes. A content locker room has so far yielded two playoff collapses.

Just spitballing

Attachments

• B2E76856-D8E6-45F3-AFF9-32E4312EA547.png
    B2E76856-D8E6-45F3-AFF9-32E4312EA547.png
    796 KB · Views: 32
Crap... GS is going to end up with Turner, aren’t they? Seems kind of obvious. And this is clearly very bad for us.

Crap... GS is going to end up with Turner, aren’t they? Seems kind of obvious. And this is clearly very bad for us.
I don't think so... the salary matching is really tricky.

They would need to include Wiseman, Looney, and one other minimum deal. Or Moody or Kuminga I guess. I think they’d really want to keep Looney… they love him but I guess if they have Turner maybe they cool. By all accounts they are super high on Wiseman. Said they won’t deal him (also GMs lie like mfers). I think Indiana would flip wiseman or look to move Sabonis too. They might do it but there will be real costs and he’s had a dicey health history. May be the deal that kills them.

If the Warriors don't trade their young players they are idiots. They should have traded their picks instead of drafting with them.

Just like CP3 and the midrange against us, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen Turner miss a jump shot when we play them.