What's new

Trade deadline discussion

I don't see how you can play RoCo and Royce together. RC is more aggressive getting his shot off but neither guy should be dribbling or passing much.

Swapping Royce for RoCo and likely getting the Portland second might low key be a good budget move for next year. He replaces Royce for the year then you open up some salary with Joe and RoCo expiring. Get a solid second or two and replace Royce next year with a budget version.
I mean, it won't be pretty or as good offensively as what we are use to from the Jazz, but they can just go to more hero ball from Mitchell while those two are on the court.

That said, I'm not a big fan of Covington. His reputation exceeds his performance. TBH, I think I'd prefer Kuzma.
I'm with you. I'm just not a big fan of Covington. Maybe he steps up for us in his contract year, but I just don't like the fit. I feel like we would have to throw a pick their way, and we don't have any to give.

I think the Jazz are going to move Ingles, Clarkson and multiple picks to try to come away with Covington and Smart. Royce may soon be coming off the bench.

Smart, Covington and Royce give the Jazz more defensive flexibility, while Conley, Mitchell and Bogey do the bulk of the scoring. Gay does a bit on both ends.

I am not a fan of Covington. As someone else said, I think the reputation or the idea of Covington is better than the actual player. And with him we get older, not younger, and the athleticism will start to wane. And his 3 pt shot is suspect. He is a good team defender, but average to below-average on-ball defender. Not sure he would be the price, depending on what they pay of course. No way we can flip him and Bogey, that is a big loss for us, but it unfortunately definitely feels like an on-brand move for our front office.

Jazz get Covington

Pels get Clarkson

Portland gets Satoransky (and save $3 million in the process getting very close to under the luxury)

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ybklfaxp
Pels would have to throw in a 2nd round pick to Portland for sure. They have a lot of picks so that wouldn't really be a problem if they want Clarkson, but that is the basic framework of something that could be possible.

I think Portland basically has 3 options with RoCo:

1. Stay the course and play for the play-in game, hope whole team gets healthy and they pull off some fun upsets.
2. Trade RoCo for expiring contracts and 2nd round picks
3. Trade RoCo for a young player they like that is on a multi-year deal (like a Jared Butler) and expiring contracts

I dont think they are getting a 1st round pick from anyone.

Roco still doesn't solve our issues guarding guards though. He'll help of course, but I still think we should be pursuing Marcus Smart.

I think Portland basically has 3 options with RoCo:

1. Stay the course and play for the play-in game, hope whole team gets healthy and they pull off some fun upsets.
2. Trade RoCo for expiring contracts and 2nd round picks
3. Trade RoCo for a young player they like that is on a multi-year deal (like a Jared Butler) and expiring contracts

I dont think they are getting a 1st round pick from anyone.
I agree. They will need to cut 3M in payroll as well to avoid the tax... something they should do.

One thing to watch... if they win the play in tournament they lose their first round pick. So I think they would honestly rather bottom out and ensure they keep their pick. This becomes a reset year or they move Dame in the offseason. They have so much salary tied into players and will be losing Nurk, Roco, and need to re-sign Simons to a semi-large contract. I don't see them having enough money to keep everyone, so some turnover is coming.

They really should just rip the bandaid off... Simons being good should help that.

I agree. They will need to cut 3M in payroll as well to avoid the tax... something they should do.

One thing to watch... if they win the play in tournament they lose their first round pick. So I think they would honestly rather bottom out and ensure they keep their pick. This becomes a reset year or they move Dame in the offseason. They have so much salary tied into players and will be losing Nurk, Roco, and need to re-sign Simons to a semi-large contract. I don't see them having enough money to keep everyone, so some turnover is coming.

They really should just rip the bandaid off... Simons being good should help that.
Someone like the Thunder going to max out Simons lmao.

The Lakers are desperate to add somebody to help them. They are offering THT, Nunn and their 2027 1st. Why not...

Blazers get THT and a 2nd from Utah
Lakers get Clarkson
Jazz get Covington, an expiring player from the Lakers, and that 2027 1st

Blazers completely avoid the luxury but get a young player in THT.

Lakers get a difference maker in Clarkson.

Jazz get Covington and a future 1st

Roco still doesn't solve our issues guarding guards though. He'll help of course, but I still think we should be pursuing Marcus Smart.
We can get both. Jingles and JC would've got it done had we retained our second rounders as sweeteners. Like JC and two picks for Smart or Jingles and a pick for RoCo. I'm not sure if they would take the player swap straight up without any picks involved

As badly as we all want JC to be moved, I'm honestly not sure the Jazz front office feels the same way. His name hasn't been brought up in a single trade rumor since he's been on the Jazz. Hell, even Bogey has been in more rumors than him.

The Lakers are desperate to add somebody to help them. They are offering THT, Nunn and their 2027 1st. Why not...

Blazers get THT and a 2nd from Utah
Lakers get Clarkson
Jazz get Covington, an expiring player from the Lakers, and that 2027 1st

Blazers completely avoid the luxury but get a young player in THT.

Lakers get a difference maker in Clarkson.

Jazz get Covington and a future 1st
They are offering that for Jerami Grant... Eric Gordon maybe? I mean sure I'd ask, but I think its awfully generous for us to get out of JC's deal, get a wing defender, and get a good first.

They are offering that for Jerami Grant... Eric Gordon maybe? I mean sure I'd ask, but I think its awfully generous for us to get out of JC's deal, get a wing defender, and get a good first.
Yeah, I'm not sure how valuable that trade offer is from LA. It's easy to see that it's not enough for a Jerami Grant. THT is an uneven prospect and the 1st rounder could be garbage.

I think the Lakers are the type team desperate enough that they would take on Clarkson who is a willing 6th man who averages 15+ppg off the bench.