What's new

Trade deadline discussion

I mean cool... he's not as good of a shooter. Getting a slightly better bogey (maybe) is awesome... but when you realize that Bogey is slightly underused already you start to ask why give up assets to make that deal. I mean if you can snake Smart for Bogey and also do the Barnes deal great. The Bogey deals are a little tricky.

I just don't see how it all comes together.
Bogey isn't underused... If anything, he's being overused which leads to him having more turnovers than assists for the season. Any player that has had more turnovers than assists means he probably shouldn't be getting the ball as much. Also for the season Bogey's shooting 38% from deep while Barnes is 40% on only 1 less attempt. So I'm not sure about the "not as good of a shooter" narrative either.

I honestly don't think we would give up Bogey for Barnes. If we end up with Barnes, I seriously doubt Bogey part pf the trade package.

Doesn't Barnes earn a kajillion dollars a year? I would think acquiring him would not help the Jazz luxury tax situation if that is driving the train.

I don't see how you possibly get Barnes without including Bogey. Sac is going to want someone serviceable back that can contribute while not taking on long-term money.

I don't see how you possibly get Barnes without including Bogey. Sac is going to want someone serviceable back that can contribute while not taking on long-term money.
I think Sacramento mainly wants Ingles' expiring and picks. If I had to guess, they were hoping to get Ingles who they could have then flipped to some contender like the Lakers for more value.

Bogey isn't underused... If anything, he's being overused which leads to him having more turnovers than assists for the season. Any player that has had more turnovers than assists means he probably shouldn't be getting the ball as much. Also for the season Bogey's shooting 38% from deep while Barnes is 40% on only 1 less attempt. So I'm not sure about the "not as good of a shooter" narrative either.
Ha... Bogey shoots 2.1 more 3s per minute and is at the same percentage as Barnes. He gets off 40% more threes than Barnes. Being able to get your shot if is part of being a good shooter.

He should be getting a few more shots per game. Doesn't mean he needs to try and create them. That is what I mean by slightly under used. For instance I'd trade a few JC shots per game for Bogey shots.

Its just wild we look at some mild differences and give those to Barnes like they are a huge win... but ignore the things that Bogey is mildly better than Barnes at. Its a shuffle the deck chairs move that costs a first and a useful player imo.

I think Sacramento mainly wants Ingles' expiring and picks. If I had to guess, they were hoping to get Ingles who they could have then flipped to some contender like the Lakers for more value.
They wanted to use him... we look at Sacramento all wrong... we assume they know they are trash... they want to make the play in. So they wanted to hopefully get picks and not fall too far... so they would use Ingles... now that utility is lessened.

They wanted to use him... we look at Sacramento all wrong... we assume they know they are trash... they want to make the play in. So they wanted to hopefully get picks and not fall too far... so they would use Ingles... now that utility is lessened.
Very possibly. Reports do say there was a trade out there with Sacramento which has changed since Joe went down.

Very possibly. Reports do say there was a trade out there with Sacramento which has changed since Joe went down.
I'm telling you... every report from the Kings is that the GM has a mandate to make the play in from ownership. They are about to set the record for most years out of the playoffs. They want to win now... will they collect some assets on a trade in... for sure! Will they do moves that are purely about space and picks... no damn way!

I actually think their current GM is solid, but Vivek gonna fire his *** if they don't make the play in.

So view Sacramento in that lense... I actually think they would do a Bogey and a first for Barnes... same contract length and doesn't murder your playoff chances. I wouldn't do that personally because I think they are essentially the same player.

I'm telling you... every report from the Kings is that the GM has a mandate to make the play in from ownership. They are about to set the record for most years out of the playoffs. They want to win now... will they collect some assets on a trade in... for sure! Will they do moves that are purely about space and picks... no damn way!

I actually think their current GM is solid, but Vivek gonna fire his *** if they don't make the play in.

So view Sacramento in that lense... I actually think they would do a Bogey and a first for Barnes... same contract length and doesn't murder your playoff chances. I wouldn't do that personally because I think they are essentially the same player.
Yeah but you buy yourself some prime years and can extend the window. But I think that also means the charade that the Jazz are contending this year is over since a player familiar with the system >>> player not familiar with the system.

I don't get the Barnes thing...

Everyone: We must get better defensively

Jazz: Let's get the guy on the worst defensive team in the league (almost 28th) with the worst on/off defensive splits... but he looks really athletic.

Maybe he's dogging it but its a weird target imo. Unless there is a second move where Bogey goes out for a guy who is actually good defensively.

He's not deficient defensively. He has size/length, stays in front of guys and rebounds. He's not a stopper, but he's a decent two-way player who would fit Quin's system. Having multiple guys on the floor with size and athleticism creates a compounding effect with our defense. Whereas, the Jazz have been conspicuously small and unathletic.

Last edited:
Doesn't have to be the Kings. We can send Bogey somewhere else in a three way deal

Maybe, but the Jazz can offer the Kings a pick and future pick swap without moving Bogdanovic. Teams that would want Bogdanovic would be Celtics, Nuggets, Lakers, ... not sure what they would add to the trade.

Kings aren't likely going to make the play-in. They'd have to leapfrog the Spurs, Pels and Blazers just to get to #10 and ensure themselves 1 post-season game. Word is, virtually everyone on the Kings is available for trade. The one exception is Haliburton.

Ha... Bogey shoots 2.1 more 3s per minute and is at the same percentage as Barnes. He gets off 40% more threes than Barnes. Being able to get your shot if is part of being a good shooter.

He should be getting a few more shots per game. Doesn't mean he needs to try and create them. That is what I mean by slightly under used. For instance I'd trade a few JC shots per game for Bogey shots.

Its just wild we look at some mild differences and give those to Barnes like they are a huge win... but ignore the things that Bogey is mildly better than Barnes at. Its a shuffle the deck chairs move that costs a first and a useful player imo.
Bogey isn't shooting at the same percentage as Barnes... One is at 38.5% on 6.5 attempt and one is 40.4% on 5 attempts, almost a 2% gap. And Barnes's now been shooting 38% or above from deep for 4 straight seasons and 6 times across his 10 year career, so it's not like this is some kind of outlying performance from him.

And like I said, ones being overused and ones being underused. Getting your shot isn't necessarily an indicator for being a good shooter. It has everything to do with your teammates and coaches.

We happen to have one of the leagues best screen setters in Rudy and top 10 PG in Conley so of course shooters will find it easier to get open looks. Especially for a guy who's been struggling with the ball in his hand all season like Bogey, he's already getting more shots than he normally would had he played on a team like the Kings where they just let Fox ball hogging with no regards to teammates whatsoever.

No reason Barnes can't get 6-7 shots from deep per game if we can get him on the Jazz. And keep in mind even without teammates creating for him, he can also create on his own more consistently without turning the ball over.

Last edited: