What's new

Trade deadline discussion

I can't believe they wouldn't have taken Clarkson for the exact same deal. Wonder if we even reached out.
We likely would have had to involve another team to find a smaller deal... though they did take back like $8M-10M in salary for next year.

The part that would have been hard is giving them 6-7M in less salary this year. Of course Ryan could just bite the bullet... since we are ALL IN!!!!!

Involving a third team would get kinda tough because they might suck the value out the deal or cut you out entirely.

For Athletic subscribers, Tony’s article this morning has some great nuggets.

I think you should all subscribe and reward Tony for his good work.

Unless something else mind-blowing comes around in the next few days, I think we’re going to see a deal for Josh Richardson.

We should absolutely trade Mitchell for Brown this off-season.
That would be stupid. Next year Brown is in his last year. He wants to leave Boston because they are constantly mediocre. If he comes here for Mitchell, the team upgrade for Brown isn't that much especially considering the age of our team.

Brown would likely leave after a year.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

I do wonder if the pressure of trying to figure out the roster spots and what to do with House is going to cause any deal to shake out sooner rather than later.

He technically can’t play tonight, right? Unless we announce a full deal with him?

Bringing in more Mitchell friends is the wrong thing to do. This isn't a god damn country club.
Have you completely missed the fact that players like playing with players they get along with?

We got Paschall because we needed a guy like Paschall and the price was cheap. It's not some overarching trend. We've made one move.

Bringing in more Mitchell friends is the wrong thing to do. This isn't a god damn country club.
Listen, buddy. If the idea is that we need to iron out some frustrations of Donovan about trading a buddy away, we could do worse than replacing the buddy traded away for a different buddy, friend.

That would be stupid. Next year Brown is in his last year. He wants to leave Boston because they are constantly mediocre. If he comes here for Mitchell, the team upgrade for Brown isn't that much especially considering the age of our team.

It wouldn't be straight up. Boston would have to give back more. The Jazz would win a ring next year with Brown.

Listen, buddy. If the idea is that we need to iron out some frustrations of Donovan about trading a buddy away, we could do worse than replacing the buddy traded away for a different buddy, friend.

We also know that pleasing Donovan is very much a part of the Jazz agenda, whether you like it or not that's the truth.

Josh Hart is also great friends with Mitchell. Just saying....
His name is out there A LOT! I think he is really available. If the deal of Hart and stuff for CJ is out there I can't imagine something around Hart and JC is completely out of the realm of possibility. If you are NOP and you are having to add stuff and take a huge CJ deal.. maybe the JC deal where you get a lil something something is a nice substitute?

We also know that pleasing Donovan is very much a part of the Jazz agenda, whether you like it or not that's the truth.
It's the NBA, and has been this way for decades. People are acting like we are being unreasonable because we are making moves which might make Donovan Mitchell happy.

Well here’s an idea to blow everyone’s minds:

Prepare to sign him next offseason. Which means get off Clarkson’s money, and probably Mike. Maybe Royce but not necessarily? I’d have to run the numbers better but it might be within the realm of possibility.

Jerami Grant expires next year also FWIW.

Last edited:
For Athletic subscribers, Tony’s article this morning has some great nuggets.

I think you should all subscribe and reward Tony for his good work.

Unless something else mind-blowing comes around in the next few days, I think we’re going to see a deal for Josh Richardson.
The athletic has great content. One of the few subscriptions I think is worth it... not always the #1 fan of Tony because he kinda states the obvious sometimes, but he's solid.

I just dont see how anything happens seeing as the Jazz are:

1. Too cheap. They are dealing 2nd rounders to save pennies and dealing 1st rounders to save money as well. And that was when the team had hopes of being elite again this year. Now that we are back to just being a very good team, I doubt Ryan Smith is going to suddenly start spending. I don't see them dealing expiring contracts to get back long-term money like a Marcus Smart. Best case scenario is we trade Ingles for a dude(s) who makes around MLE money next year, so it would essentially act as our MLE signing for 2022-2023.

2. They don't have any good picks to trade

3. Clarkson is either untradeable without giving up assets, the Jazz are unwilling to trade him because Mitchell likes him, or the Jazz are unwilling to trade him because they think the gamble of him getting hot at the right time is better than what they could get for him. The Jazz for some stupid reason gave dude a player option, so he likely has 2 years left on his deal after this year.

So basically I think the only thing the Jazz do is maybe trade Ingles for a dude like Justin Holiday and Torrey Craig if Indy shops these dudes and realize they can't get back any draft capital for them, so they simply deal them for an expiring contract.

That would mean they have Holiday/Craig under contract next year for around 10 million combined. That might be too much for Utah tbh.

Well here’s an idea to blow everyone’s minds:

Prepare to sign him next offseason. Which means get off Clarkson’s money, and probably Mike. Maybe Royce but not necessarily? I’d have to run the numbers better but it might be within the realm of possibility?

Jerami Grant expires next year also FWIW.
I agree. If we can use our older guys, expirings, etc by this deadline or this summer to add a good, young piece next to Don and Rudy, we have a really good chance of spending big in summer 2023 on a guy like Grant or Brown. I don't think we can get Brown or Grant now, but maybe we could get them in 2023.

I have zero problem bringing in guys that players get along with if they are homies. As long as you don't pay a large premium to do so its just fine. Part of getting your best out of players is having them happy. Having guys around that are cool with each other will likely make them happier.

I'd actually love to land one of Rudy's homies. Not to create clicks but to help him have someone that understands him and can tell him when he needs to chill. Who does Rudy vibe with on this squad? Hassan?