What's new

Trade deadline discussion

Justin Holiday fits in the Favors TPE. Not sure if IND will hand him over for a heavily-protected FRP, and I'm not sure how much he really helps us tbh.

Chris Boucher also fits the TPE. I don't know what to think about him. Raps fans really want to get rid of him.

Justin Holiday fits in the Favors TPE. Not sure if IND will hand him over for a heavily-protected FRP, and I'm not sure how much he really helps us tbh.

Chris Boucher also fits the TPE. I don't know what to think about him. Raps fans really want to get rid of him.
So you think we are going to take on 6-8M in salary and the tax hit that comes with it… I think we are talking like 25M on top of an already substantial tax bill.

So you think we are going to take on 6-8M in salary and the tax hit that comes with it… I think we are talking like 25M on top of an already substantial tax bill.
Also there isn't any space in the rotation to fit one more player without removing one. There isn't much point to expanding the rotation in the playoffs. Jazz are already on the lower end in minutes to starting five.

I have a challenge to name one deal or move that’s less complicating and has less asterisks than just signing Dunn.

I have a challenge to name one deal or move that’s less complicating and has less asterisks than just signing Dunn.
Lolz… he’s clearly dead otherwise he’d be playing.

I kid… he might be ded… but you could waive Oni and give him a 10 day to find out. Call it an extended physical.

I'm liking the Jerami Grant buzz. Long, athletic, defensive wing/forward that can score. Detroit has cap space, they may look for value to improve or maybe looking to start rebuilding again. The Jazz have no cap space and will have to move some salary. We have Joe on an expiring, Butler on a rookie contract with potential, Azubuike same, and picks.

Can we sell them on Joe/Butler/Azubuike/pick(s)? I'm not sure, but it leaves flexibility and a lot of future talent for DET . Bogey/Butler/pick(s) is another option, but I don't see the Jazz moving Bogey and his salary would be more sticky for DET.

Few ways to do Joe dirtier than sending him to Detroit
I've decided that Joe is untouchable... unless he gets hurt and we can use his salary to improve. I really do feel like he'd basically retire if we traded him, so I don't think we get any value out of the player that Joe is... just his expiring contract.

I also think if there is a good deal that requires expiring contracts or other salary fodder that another team would swoop in with a better offer. Phoenix is going to make one more move to improve. GS is more complicated because every dollar they spend is like 6-7 in tax on top of an astronomical bill.

Who is more valuable to the team right now, for this upcoming playoff run, Joe or Bogey?

I saw a tweet that really hit home with me, it said "my biggest fear is that Danny Ainge is going to come in and perform surgery on a team that he doesn't understand". Ainge has spent zero time around these guys and doesn't have a clue about the chemistry of this team. Now less than two months before the trade deadline he's been handed keys. Zanik has done a great job so far, they should've just let him stay in charge for now.

I saw a tweet that really hit home with me, it said "my biggest fear is that Danny Ainge is going to come in and perform surgery on a team that he doesn't understand". Ainge has spent zero time around these guys and doesn't have a clue about the chemistry of this team. Now less than two months before the trade deadline he's been handed keys. Zanik has done a great job so far, they should've just let him stay in charge for now.
I am worried about that too. He has a real cavalier/maverick attitude toward this stuff. I am afraid he is going to lean on his own "expert" status and new position as CEO, combined with his superficial "knowledge" of the team, and start making wholesale changes. I could see Rudy getting packed up and sent out to bring back like Bam or something, with some wings in the mix in some multi-team deal or something, because Ainge buys into the media interpretation that we lost in the playoffs last year because the greatest defensive center of this generation "can't guard on the perimeter", which is ********* plain and simple. I have definite concerns about that kind of thing happening. I hope they are unfounded but he saw success making big swings in the past and I imagine he will want to do the same thing here. I sure hope not though.

(please note, I use the Rudy example above simply as a spit-ball scenario off the top of my head as an example of the KIND of scenario we might see, not the EXACT one I actually think will happen, so I will not argue that point. Seems this board cannot grasp the idea of hypotheticals.)

I am worried about that too. He has a real cavalier/maverick attitude toward this stuff. I am afraid he is going to lean on his own "expert" status and new position as CEO, combined with his superficial "knowledge" of the team, and start making wholesale changes. I could see Rudy getting packed up and sent out to bring back like Bam or something, with some wings in the mix in some multi-team deal or something, because Ainge buys into the media interpretation that we lost in the playoffs last year because the greatest defensive center of this generation "can't guard on the perimeter", which is ********* plain and simple. I have definite concerns about that kind of thing happening. I hope they are unfounded but he saw success making big swings in the past and I imagine he will want to do the same thing here. I sure hope not though.

(please note, I use the Rudy example above simply as a spit-ball scenario off the top of my head as an example of the KIND of scenario we might see, not the EXACT one I actually think will happen, so I will not argue that point. Seems this board cannot grasp the idea of hypotheticals.)

I think Rudy's safe for the rest of the season but if we don't make a deep playoff run then I could definitely see Ainge moving him in the offseason.

Re: one other thought I had on the Rudy and Ainge thing. Obviously Ainge may not see Rudy the same way we do. There was some reassurance I had of assuming that Ryan probably feels more like we do about Rudy and that he probably would have been aware of that and sniffed it out before moving forward on Ainge. However, I think a bigger question is really what is Wade's opinion of Rudy. Is Wade a guy who sees Rudy the way a number of people in the league do where they'd rather unknowingly turn us into Portland? Wade is more likely to see things the way Donovan is. Does Donovan see Rudy the same way we do? Whatever Wade's opinion, that could certainly be a whisper in Ryan's ear. But if we fall short and overreact by selling Rudy for 5 cents on the dollar, we really will be Portland. But maybe those first round exits will look more sexy.

I almost feel this thread is a waste of time ever since Gay joined the rotation. Pardon the phrase because we always hated when the jazz gm would use it but gay getting healthy was like making a trade without giving up anything. We’ve been almost unbeatable since he made his debut. He’s defended well and can fill different positions and such. He just brings me a different confidence about how good the rotation is. Also. Bogey and JC are playing much better. A few weeks ago I said JC needed to stop hunting 3’s and hunt paint points and play make more. He’s been doing it more and Bogey has been on point with his shot lately.

Has he been handed the keys? Just total carte blanche?

I don’t think so. There’s a decision tree.

Has he been handed the keys? Just total carte blanche?

I don’t think so. There’s a decision tree.

From everything I've read and heard on the radio from guys like Tony Jones and Andy Larsen, Ainge is the guy and will have the final say on any moves that are made.

Lmao, you’re an idiot!!

Here is a paragraph from Tony Jones article about the Danny Ainge hiring, idiot.

"The Jazz currently resemble a much more robust version of those Celtics, with veteran depth players who know their roles and how to fit together. It seems the bigger questions are whether they can keep the other key scorers around Donovan Mitchell healthy in the spring and if they can find a way to keep Rudy Gobert in the driver’s seat against playoff scheming. If the Jazz fall short of the conference finals for the sixth year of legitimate contention in a row, Ainge won’t be afraid to finally move Gobert or consolidate Utah’s depth for a more potent three-level playmaker."

Here is a paragraph from Tony Jones article about the Danny Ainge hiring, idiot.

"The Jazz currently resemble a much more robust version of those Celtics, with veteran depth players who know their roles and how to fit together. It seems the bigger questions are whether they can keep the other key scorers around Donovan Mitchell healthy in the spring and if they can find a way to keep Rudy Gobert in the driver’s seat against playoff scheming. If the Jazz fall short of the conference finals for the sixth year of legitimate contention in a row, Ainge won’t be afraid to finally move Gobert or consolidate Utah’s depth for a more potent three-level playmaker."
6th year of contention huh? This is our third year in my estimate.