What's new

Trade deadline discussion

He sucks at the 4. Only relevant as a player at the 5. Jazz fans obsession with him is overboard.
I think we have a better version of what we want from him in Gay. They aren't at all similar but Gay gives me what I'd theoretically want out of Wood. A guy that can help size up while spreading the floor still... allows you to play 5 out because they can survive as a small ball center.

On the Sam Vecenie podcast they threw out a Smart for Ingles and a first trade. They didn't seem to understand our pick situation but outlined why Boston could use Ingles. I can't approve any trade that has Ingles in it but it was interesting.

The other aspect to any Ingles deal where we add salary will cost mega money next year. I am not sure how committed Ryan is to spending but I would think going the other way and offloading JC for someone that has an expiring contract would be much more desirable. The mediocre deal where I suggested the three teamer with NOLA and OKC where we send out JC and get Williams/Temple would save like $50M over 2 years.

Unlike other years where I wanted us to make a big-ish move I think this year I very much prefer a smaller end of roster type move. We are in a good place if we are healthy... by all means try to fill some holes but don't go crazy... every roster has some holes.

On the Sam Vecenie podcast they threw out a Smart for Ingles and a first trade. They didn't seem to understand our pick situation but outlined why Boston could use Ingles. I can't approve any trade that has Ingles in it but it was interesting.

The other aspect to any Ingles deal where we add salary will cost mega money next year. I am not sure how committed Ryan is to spending but I would think going the other way and offloading JC for someone that has an expiring contract would be much more desirable. The mediocre deal where I suggested the three teamer with NOLA and OKC where we send out JC and get Williams/Temple would save like $50M over 2 years.

Unlike other years where I wanted us to make a big-ish move I think this year I very much prefer a smaller end of roster type move. We are in a good place if we are healthy... by all means try to fill some holes but don't go crazy... every roster has some holes.
I just dont want to win a title without Joe Ingles.

I just dont want to win a title without Joe Ingles.
Like I said I cannot approve of any trade that has Joe going out. I was just throwing the idea out in light of our recent hire. I also think there is a chance Joe does the JJ reddick if traded... doesn't report and basically retires. I'd keep him because I think there is an outside shot he will play one more for us at a discount. I'm like 75% sure he retires after this year and plays in Australia for a couple years before being a full-time soccer dad.

I’m pretty sure Houston did draft Mobley. Him and Stevie Franchise. Well maybe that was Vancouver on Franchise.

I'm not in on Marcus Smart. His offense is bad, he's not a great ball mover, and I think his defense has slipped a notch. There's a reason the Celtics are willing to trade him. I'd rather trade for Josh Richardson than Marcus Smart, tbh.

I like Smart, but I don't think we could afford to have all of Mitchell/Conley/Clarkson/Smart with none really able to play the 3 reliably. Just not enough minutes at the guard spots to make that worthwhile.

Here's a name to keep an eye on, and he's someone whom I think wouldn't cost too much -- Jeremy Lamb. I think he's come back from his injury more or less in good condition.

Here's a name to keep an eye on, and he's someone whom I think wouldn't cost too much -- Jeremy Lamb. I think he's come back from his injury more or less in good condition.
He would cost you one of our top 9 on salary matching alone.

He would cost you one of our top 9 on salary matching alone.

Yeah probably. He's the type of player the Jazz would be looking for -- a Jeremy Lamb or Josh Richardson type. Basically, a 2/3 with some length and athleticism. If the Jazz don't get someone of this ilk by the trade deadline, don't be surprised if they bring back Exum. Exum's contract in Barcelona is only through mid-Feb.

Yeah probably. He's the type of player the Jazz would be looking for -- a Jeremy Lamb or Josh Richardson type. Basically, a 2/3 with some length and athleticism. If the Jazz don't get someone of this ilk by the trade deadline, don't be surprised if they bring back Exum. Exum's contract in Barcelona is only through mid-Feb.
If Danny blocks this one event from occurring I will declare him a success.

To salary match for Lamb or J Rich it will take JC or Joe. not a probably... its a necessity.

A young player and a 2RP might get Kenrich Williams from OKC. He's not quite a starting-caliber player though, at least not normally.

To salary match for Lamb or J Rich it will take JC or Joe. not a probably... its a necessity.

Right. Make no mistake, the Jazz may be close to putting Joe Ingles out to pasture. I really don't think they're going to trade Bogey unless there is a clear upgrade, and I really don't think they're going to trade Clarkson, simply because he can do all kinds of crazy things that teams just can't scheme for. I think it comes down to Joe or Royce. Joe has barely been running the floor this year, and he's on an expiring deal.

The Jazz do have some of a trade exception from Derrick Favors still, I think, and they can offer a future pick. Maybe a team is interested in Butler. I just don't see what else the Jazz have. If the Jazz can get value for Joe Ingles, I think they'll be tempted to take it.

Last edited: