What's new

Trade deadline discussion

The Jazz need to ask themselves how much they really value Royce O'Neale. He gets praised because he doesn't take shots away from other guys, and he's a tough defender against certain forward matchups. But he isn't irreplaceable by any means. Royce + Joe + FRP might get some traction, since either player could then be flipped for another pick.

If the Jazz upgraded Royce with Harrison Barnes, I think that would put them in the Finals. They'd be adding rebounds and offense, while maintaining or improving their defense. Rudy Gay is also capable of picking up a few extra minutes if need be and Trent Forrest can continue to play some minutes against bigger guards. Paschall is also fine for a 9th or 10th guy.

I think Barnes is the obvious guy for the Jazz to go after. He's more skilled offensively than Jerami Grant, he'd be able to move the ball in Quin's system, and he's also a better rebounder than Grant. A lineup with Conley/Mitchell/Bogey/Barnes/Gobert and Clarkson/Gay/Whiteside off the bench is really solid and borderline unguardable.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y3ubbhff
may not even be Barnes. here's the actual guy that we almost signed in 2019 and he's having a career year with 16+9+1steal+1block on 48/42/80 shooting. His 2 triples per game is a career high

may not even be Barnes. here's the actual guy that we almost signed in 2019 and he's having a career year with 16+9+1steal+1block on 48/42/80 shooting. His 2 triples per game is a career high

He was a big part of their tittle run last year and he's having a career year this year so why would they trade him?

That doesn’t do the jazz any good
As a trade chip it could. Let’s say that Team A wants to trade for Ingles’s expiring contract and doesn’t care if he plays or not. They want to move salary. In fact they actually don’t want someone with a contract beyond this year. The player who they want to move would improve the Jazz, more than keeping Ingles would. That’s what I’m saying.

Last edited:
I imagine he'd be still quite valuable as a buyout/expiring.
When you say something like this, you need to explain why and demonstrate to whom he'd be valuable.

This idea that expirings are valuable made sense when most teams were positioned to be players in the free agent market. But free agency hasn't been where it's at for acquiring players for the past couple of years in most cases.

So I'd like to know specifically which teams would find an expiring contract valuable (and then perhaps what they'd be willing to give up to make that happen).

When you say something like this, you need to explain why and demonstrate to whom he'd be valuable.

This idea that expirings are valuable made sense when most teams were positioned to be players in the free agent market. But free agency hasn't been where it's at for acquiring players for the past couple of years in most cases.

So I'd like to know specifically which teams would find an expiring contract valuable (and then perhaps what they'd be willing to give up to make that happen).
You are exhausting. I don’t have to do a god damn thing. I didn’t think I would have to explain that expiring contracts can be considered valuable for NBA trades, which is all I was saying, it’s not a controversial statement. Hell, prove I’m wrong before you make demands. I’m not writing a paper on every possible scenario in which Ingles could be valuable even if he doesn’t play, which is literally all I was saying, your majesty.

Last edited:
I still wouldn't be shocked to see JC get moved. I think he still has quite a bit of value despite his poor play this season. I don't think Zanik would've traded him but I could totally see Ainge doing it.

I still wouldn't be shocked to see JC get moved. I think he still has quite a bit of value despite his poor play this season. I don't think Zanik would've traded him but I could totally see Ainge doing it.
I legitimately have no idea what Ainge will or won’t do and won’t be surprised at anything. I imagine no one is sacred at this point.

same here. he is cold blooded. the IT trade was brutal maybe hell trade conley too.
Conley is definitely who should be traded. Here are many of the reasons:

- We need more wing defense with size

- Joe doesn't have the trade value to bring an upgrade and losing his overall skillset could hurt us on both ends

- Conley's value is high right now

- Conley is injury prone and hasn't been there when we needed him

- Don, Mike and Rudy combine for an awful scenario for playoff perimeter defense

- Bojan provides lights out floor spacing so he shouldn't be traded

- Conley could be great off the bench, but we know Clarkson is fine with coming off the bench in his role

- Due to our lack of perimeter defending, we need more unselfish defenders like Royce so trading him is just a lateral move

- When the playoff comes, Don shines so Conley isn't as important as a defender would be

We should look to package Conley and Gay to get somebody like Jerami Grant. I'm not as high on Barnes, but maybe he's the answer.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

As a trade chip it could. Let’s say that Team A wants to trade for Ingles’s expiring contract and doesn’t care if he plays or not. They want to move salary. In fact they actually don’t want someone with a contract beyond this year. The player who they want to move would improve the Jazz, more than keeping Ingles would. That’s what I’m saying.
Imo we aren’t getting a better player in that scenario.
Conley is definitely who should be traded. Here are many of the reasons:

- We need more wing defense with size

- Joe doesn't have the trade value to bring an upgrade and losing his overall skillset could hurt us on both ends

- Conley's value is high right now

- Conley is injury prone and hasn't been there when we needed him

- Don, Mike and Rudy combine for an awful scenario for playoff perimeter defense

- Bojan provides lights out floor spacing so he shouldn't be traded

- Conley could be great off the bench, but we know Clarkson is fine with coming off the bench in his role

- Due to our lack of perimeter defending, we need more unselfish defenders like Royce so trading him is just a lateral move

- When the playoff comes, Don shines so Conley isn't as important as a defender would be

We should look to package Conley and Gay to get somebody like Jerami Grant. I'm not as high on Barnes, but maybe he's the answer.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app
The monkey wrench in all that fluff is the jazz are a far better team with Conley/without Mitchell then the jazz are with Mitchell/without Conley. So unless we are trading Conley for CP3 we are making the jazz worse, and the jazz aren’t doing anything to jeopardize their championship aspirations. Whether we believe the jazz are contenders or not I promis the organization does think they are. The jazz aren’t trading Conley unless some stupid team offers something the jazz can’t refuse.

Conley is very important to this team in the regular season and playoffs. If you are trading him it’s because you have decided you aren’t a contender or you got an offer that is stupid good.

If Joe or JC… and the way Joe has looked lately it feels like keeping JC for the playoffs is a better deal. I think JC makes more sense in some situations and especially considering our cap and repeater tax stuff.

Conley is definitely who should be traded. Here are many of the reasons...

Correct. But trading him midseason would likely be a disaster. He's the team's steady hand, even though having him and DM together is a structural flaw.
If he was Ricky Rubio's size and had his defensive skills, we wouldn't be as desperate to trade for someone like Grant or Barnes.

Really, what's been needed is either:

A) someone to cover up the defensive flaws by adding a Grant/Barnes/etc. or
B) a third star or all-star level guy. I know Conley made the all-star team last year but it would have to be someone that brings
more to the table. Neither Bojan or Conley are good enough, not that they aren't good. You need them to be your 4th or 5th best guy, not #3 (and i'm not even sure
who #3 is between them.) I've always thought Tobias Harris would have been perfect, he's not getable right now and I wouldn't want that insane contract anyway. I'm not sure off hand who
I could suggest, and I don't think it can happen midseason.

Look at Portland. What they've always been missing is a #3, or someone to be a better #2 than McCollum. PHX has Booker, CP3, and Ayton. I'm thinking along those lines.

I still think we are more likely to stand pat than make a big trade but Ainge made it closer to 50/50.

With our assets I just don't see a chance for a trade that would make us clearly better. We just have to pray to stay healthy and have a bit of luck. If we make a move it will be to get rid of Udoka or Oni.

I like the idea of Hart more and more. I’d think in an ideal world that Hart’s minutes come from a combination of Clarkson and Royce. I do believe that Joe existing as our PG when Conley is off the floor is important, even if that’s only 15 minutes and he’s terrible defensively, so it’s hard to pivot from that. JC for Hart would probably be a decent upgrade. In a very ideal world, I would package Ingles with Udoka for Hart, which would give us some real LT savings and it would give NOP the best player in the 2020 draft and the poor man’s 7 foot Zion. Then Ingles would need to either be traded to Boston (Ainge’s son) or Boston signs Ingles to a 10 day so we can then bring back Ingles as the PG.

Correct. But trading him midseason would likely be a disaster. He's the team's steady hand, even though having him and DM together is a structural flaw.
If he was Ricky Rubio's size and had his defensive skills, we wouldn't be as desperate to trade for someone like Grant or Barnes.

Really, what's been needed is either:

A) someone to cover up the defensive flaws by adding a Grant/Barnes/etc. or
B) a third star or all-star level guy. I know Conley made the all-star team last year but it would have to be someone that brings
more to the table. Neither Bojan or Conley are good enough, not that they aren't good. You need them to be your 4th or 5th best guy, not #3 (and i'm not even sure
who #3 is between them.) I've always thought Tobias Harris would have been perfect, he's not getable right now and I wouldn't want that insane contract anyway. I'm not sure off hand who
I could suggest, and I don't think it can happen midseason.

Look at Portland. What they've always been missing is a #3, or someone to be a better #2 than McCollum. PHX has Booker, CP3, and Ayton. I'm thinking along those lines.
I agree with this. The only guy I can think of is Siakam, though we probably don’t have the assets to get him.