What's new

Trade deadline discussion

Given his age and lack of athleticism to start, I have to imagine that the two years of shortened offseasons plus playing in the Olympics has really taken its toll on Ingles. Unless he gets traded I say we give him a month off and then play him limited minutes the rest of the season in hopes he will have something in the tank for the playoffs, because right now he looks like he is running on empty.

If it was that easy it would be done already. We don't have what they'd want.... we wouldn't offer what it would take if we had it. He's one of their few bright spots this season.
Nothing is easy.

We might have identified the exact type player we need next to Don long term. We need to try to make it happen. Jones is a relevant player for the next 10 years. Make it happen.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

So the Oni deal tells us that we may only have one spot (House’s spot) where we can carry a guy that we pick up. Quin apparently made some positive comments on him, his size, hitting the three, and preforming well when we’ve played him. What I mean by the first sentence is that we see that we had to give up assets to dump Oni. I don’t think we’d be able to unload Hughes or Udoka if we’re looking to use the spot on another signing. And because of tax purposes I don’t believe we’ll fill that spot, unless it’s an obvious solid vet that gets bought out.

So unless we’re able to do a Hughes and Udoka 2-for-1. But that would require a team to want to “dump” someone with a longer contract who only makes around $3-4M. But that would still cost us more because we’d have to sign another person.

https://www.ksl.com/article/50323199/patrick-kinahan-say-it-aint-so-joe--jazz-may-trade-ingles

This is clearly on Joe's mind... man it does sound like something is going to happen. Also, Joe continues to be the best! Build him a damn statue.

Great article, thanks for posting. I think this has affected his play this year more than we know, maybe even more than age and wear and tear from the Olympics. I think he's gone by the deadline but if not I think we get a different, more locked in Joe Ingles the second half of the season. I recently came across this old quote from Rubio from his last season with the Jazz when he was involved in a lot of trade rumors. I think sometimes as fans we forget that athletes are human and not robots.

“Yeah, I’m not gonna lie. It hurt — I have feelings. … It’s a business here, and you understand that. [But] it feels uncomfortable. … A player like me, you play with heart. It’s tough to play with heart when you don’t know what’s going to happen.”

Nate Duncan suggested Ingles plus our 2026 and 28 first round picks might be a competitive offer for Jerami Grant on his podcast with John Hollinger.

Nate Duncan suggested Ingles plus our 2026 and 28 first round picks might be a competitive offer for Jerami Grant on his podcast with John Hollinger.
Came here to post that. Curious what people would think of that and curious of what that rotation would look like.

Also you’ve got to find more salary to send to Detroit.

Came here to post that. Curious what people would think of that and curious of what that rotation would look like.

I would imagine Grant would take Royce's place in the starting lineup and Royce would take Joe's place off the bench. Two firsts is a lot to give up.

I think Grant is a fine player... I also think he preferred getting buckets to being a key cog on a playoff team machine. I am not sure he is the defensive stopper we assume he is. I think he has gotten a tad over-rated.

The “two-way player” version of Robert Covington.
RoCo was wildly over-rated. I guess my issue with Grant here is I'm not sure it ramps up the offense like we think it will... and he's a good defender but may not be as interested in being a stopper. I think he's worth the acquisition price for some teams but we may not be one of those teams.

I didn’t want Grant as a Bojan replacement. I’d be somewhat curious with him as a Royce replacement (with Royce coming off the bench). That’s also to presume you don’t include Royce in the deal to make up the other $6-7M you need to match salary.