What's new

Trade deadline discussion

We should have drafted him, but why don't we just go ahead and trade for him? What would it take? He's a lock down defender.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app
Duh. It takes one second round pick, which we keep handing out for free. The kid was sitting right there in the second round but we just passed up the opportunity so now the ship has sailed. No way the Pels give up his cheap rookie contract.

Duh. It takes one second round pick, which we keep handing out for free. The kid was sitting right there in the second round but we just passed up the opportunity so now the ship has sailed. No way the Pels give up his cheap rookie contract.
This is true. Last game I went to they gave me a 2nd round pick because they were out of cheese for my pretzel.

Although I really advocated for drafting him, that time has come and gone.

I'm talking about going after him right now. He's attainable. He would be a great role player on a playoff team. With NOLA's Zion injury issues, they aren't a playoff team and might not be one for a while. Jones is only on a 2 or 3 year deal.

I think Grant and others would take more to get than Jones would. Go get this guy and he will address our perimeter defense this postseason.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

I would do Ingles, Butler and a protected 1st for Christian Wood. Rockets need a solid young guard with the Kevin Porter Jr. situation.

Jazz are going to need to go big if they matchup with Anthony Davis, Giannis or Kevin Durant. Plus, a Wood/Gay frontcourt would make the Jazz a much more dangerous small-ball team.

I would do Ingles, Butler and a protected 1st for Christian Wood. Rockets need a solid young guard with the Kevin Porter Jr. situation.

Jazz are going to need to go big if the matchup with Anthony Davis, Giannis or Kevin Durant. Plus, a Wood/Gay frontcourt would make the Jazz a much more dangerous small-ball team.
Look I'm all for a Gay Wood tag team.... I'm not sure its the best idea though... once you got Gay you didn't have as much need for Wood. I've wanted Wood for a long time, but I think now that I've seen Gay I actually prefer him.

I might be in the minority, but I think I'd rather trade for a guard perimeter defender than a wing. I'd take someone like Smart or even Josh Hart over Grant or Wood. Royce actually does a pretty decent job guarding bigger wings, but it seems to be the small fast guards that we really struggle to contain.

I might be in the minority, but I think I'd rather trade for a guard perimeter defender than a wing. I'd take someone like Smart or even Josh Hart over Grant or Wood. Royce actually does a pretty decent job guarding bigger wings, but it seems to be the small fast guards that we really struggle to contain.
I think Josh Hart is very Royce-y... I watched Donovan eat his soul last week on a crossover. For me its Smart or Melton... and I agree with your overall premise.

I agree that a guard defender should be the priority but I am not taking Hart over Grant or Wood. Smart for sure, though.

If Covington is available for Clarkson somehow, that’s a trade I’d do. Both players are not exactly peaking in terms of value right now.

The way I see it, we’re always going to have 2-3 easy targets on defense. It would be more effective to address that issue with a guy who is better at helping, rotating, covering space ect than someone who has a better chance at staying in front of one guy.

If you have a great on ball defender, it’s not useful if the other team gets the switch and chances are that great on ball defender is (take your choice of anyone in the league) is going to need to rely on his team against the very best players.

I agree that a guard defender should be the priority but I am not taking Hart over Grant or Wood. Smart for sure, though.
I think I’m the original Wood OG… I’m just not sure he’s more functional than Gay or Whiteside and I think he may not be locked in enough for Quin to ride with him. I think he’s gettable though. With each Boston loss Smart gets more gettable. I wonder if they end up biting on a BS for Brown deal (with other parts involved). I’d think Smart becomes very available at that point.

I think Josh Hart is very Royce-y... I watched Donovan eat his soul last week on a crossover. For me its Smart or Melton... and I agree with your overall premise.

Melton would definitely be another good target. From what I've watched of Hart he seems quicker than Royce and I think he would do a better job defending guards...Donovan definitely lit him up though.

Boucher would be the poor man version of Wood that is available at a more affordable price. Less offense, more rim protection

If Covington is available for Clarkson somehow, that’s a trade I’d do. Both players are not exactly peaking in terms of value right now.

The way I see it, we’re always going to have 2-3 easy targets on defense. It would be more effective to address that issue with a guy who is better at helping, rotating, covering space ect than someone who has a better chance at staying in front of one guy.

If you have a great on ball defender, it’s not useful if the other team gets the switch and chances are that great on ball defender is (take your choice of anyone in the league) is going to need to rely on his team against the very best players.
That's why its really Smart for me... he does well individually and rotating. RoCo is just such a turnstile that I think he'd actually be the one that gets targeted in some cases.

I get what you are saying... they could just screen a lockdown guy... or target a bad player... but maybe that guy can disrupt the action and you would at least make them move down the food chain a bit to target the guy they want.

I do like getting a disruptor... just wish RoCo wasn't so bad individually.

I think I’m the original Wood OG… I’m just not sure he’s more functional than Gay or Whiteside and I think he may not be locked in enough for Quin to ride with him. I think he’s gettable though. With each Boston loss Smart gets more gettable. I wonder if they end up biting on a BS for Brown deal (with other parts involved). I’d think Smart becomes very available at that point.
Wood is a 5 so he won't have many functional minutes alongside Gobert even if he makes do for some time. Also he is uninterested in defense and his performances waver a lot when things don't go his way.

Smart would be a great get especially if the price gets lower. We have been running some Conley-Clarkson-Forrest 3 guard line-up and I like the movement and defense didn't look half bad. To replace Forrest with Smart would be so gooood.

Look I'm all for a Gay Wood tag team.... I'm not sure its the best idea though... once you got Gay you didn't have as much need for Wood. I've wanted Wood for a long time, but I think now that I've seen Gay I actually prefer him.

The purpose of Wood here is to give the Jazz an alternative to Royce, so that we have more defensive length on the perimeter and more rebounds without losing spacing. Plus, if you give Wood the open looks that Royce currently gets Wood is going to score 20 pts a night. He'll make open shots and he'll drive down the lane for floaters and dunks. Harrison Barnes would do the same, for the most part, but he costs more. I get that there's some redundancy with Rudy Gay, but Gay is old and inconsistent.

If I'm Houston, bringing in local hero Jared Butler and a FRP is enough to make me do the deal. Plus, I can flip Joe Ingles to a 3rd team and probably get something for him.

Last edited:
Wood is a 5 so he won't have many functional minutes alongside Gobert even if he makes do for some time. Also he is uninterested in defense and his performances waver a lot when things don't go his way.

Smart would be a great get especially if the price gets lower. We have been running some Conley-Clarkson-Forrest 3 guard line-up and I like the movement and defense didn't look half bad. To replace Forrest with Smart would be so gooood.

Wood plays on the perimeter. He plays minutes next to Sengun right now anyway. Wood next to Gobert would be like Evan Mobley next to Jarrett Allen.

Last edited:
Boucher would be the poor man version of Wood that is available at a more affordable price. Less offense, more rim protection

Boucher sucks. I doubt he'd get minutes. If the Jazz want to improve from where they are, they need someone who is good enough to take some minutes from Royce. This is why the trade rumors said that the Jazz are looking for a "starting-caliber" player.

That's why its really Smart for me... he does well individually and rotating. RoCo is just such a turnstile that I think he'd actually be the one that gets targeted in some cases.

I get what you are saying... they could just screen a lockdown guy... or target a bad player... but maybe that guy can disrupt the action and you would at least make them move down the food chain a bit to target the guy they want.

I do like getting a disruptor... just wish RoCo wasn't so bad individually.

I'm not in on RoCo at this point. You might talk me into Larry Nance Jr. though.