What's new

Trade deadline discussion

My eye's bleeding analysis has also been super negative. It just feels like he is capable of playing a little more reserved and now that we have him on the floor with better offensive players maybe he should slow down a bit on the LFF style of shot evaluation.

Routing a few possesions to Gay, Ingles, or Conley/DM when they are on the court with him seems to be a good idea.
Agreed. I see that starting to happen, though. FWIW.

So if you look at our 9 man rotation, you can break these into a few tears:

Tier 1 of not being moved
1. Donovan
2. Rudy
3. Conley

Tier 2 of could be moved in theory but multiple reasons of why they would be fairly unlikely
4. Ingles (huge emotional barrier for us to overcome + not getting as much value back as what's going out)
5. Royce (we'd be looking to obtain a somewhat similar type player and that deal doesn't make sense)
6. Gay (similar to Royce issue, only contenders would be looking for someone like him, etc.)

Tier 3 of being more likely than tier 2 but still a number of barriers
7. Bojan (his still our second leading scorer... as much as we can theorize upgrading that position, I believe moving our second leading scorer is too tall of an order and too big a barrier for the organization to swallow when they're looking at amalgamated numbers that look great and would view our first secondary scorer as being too big of variable there... i.e. how important of a variable is the second-leading scorer [per minute and overall] to a historic offense?)
8. Hassan (he may be able to get you a Craig-type guy but that's creating a new problem and I think the idea of defaulting to small is only a fan-driven idea)
9. Clarkson (is this too big of a culture and chemistry hit to make that move?)

I'd say my belief that if there was a trade, that I'd be 85% confident it isn't any of the above. My feels on the odds of a trade would maybe be 40% or lower (probably lower, that's a high estimate), so in reality I'd say that my highest suspicion of any of the above being moved would be in the ballpark of 6% at the highest (and even that sounds too high). It would likely be patching together whatever guys we have to take a peripheral guy like Craig, which would be a pretty sweet deal if you could land him for spare parts. One question is how much value Butler has. My consistent view has been to survey what's out there and go grab it (Dunn) because it doesn't have to alter the configuration of the above. But Clarkson would appear the most likely to move.

Like someone else said in either this thread or another one, the guarantee date for Oni is a few weeks away and it would be interesting to see what happens. My suspicion would be that that date comes and goes.

We should have traded Dok already. Oni will be cut, Forrest will take his roster spot. I like Oni but all fine for me...but Dok is just wasting away a roster spot. I wish we could find a way to get rid of Dok to open up another spot for a vet or unproven G-League guy and then use the second two way for an emergency C....but that's going to cost assets and we don't have any to give up.

Speaking of buyout guys, the player I have my eye on is Tomas Satoranksy. I'm refusing to believe that he suddenly forgot how to play basketball. He was really good last year and had been a good player for some time. Great size, good athlete, isn't a horrible shooter, and makes good passes out of PnR. If not this year, maybe next year as an Ingles replacement.

So if you look at our 9 man rotation, you can break these into a few tears:

Tier 1 of not being moved
1. Donovan
2. Rudy
3. Conley

Tier 2 of could be moved in theory but multiple reasons of why they would be fairly unlikely
4. Ingles (huge emotional barrier for us to overcome + not getting as much value back as what's going out)
5. Royce (we'd be looking to obtain a somewhat similar type player and that deal doesn't make sense)
6. Gay (similar to Royce issue, only contenders would be looking for someone like him, etc.)

Tier 3 of being more likely than tier 2 but still a number of barriers
7. Bojan (his still our second leading scorer... as much as we can theorize upgrading that position, I believe moving our second leading scorer is too tall of an order and too big a barrier for the organization to swallow when they're looking at amalgamated numbers that look great and would view our first secondary scorer as being too big of variable there... i.e. how important of a variable is the second-leading scorer [per minute and overall] to a historic offense?)
8. Hassan (he may be able to get you a Craig-type guy but that's creating a new problem and I think the idea of defaulting to small is only a fan-driven idea)
9. Clarkson (is this too big of a culture and chemistry hit to make that move?)

I'd say my belief that if there was a trade, that I'd be 85% confident it isn't any of the above. My feels on the odds of a trade would maybe be 40% or lower (probably lower, that's a high estimate), so in reality I'd say that my highest suspicion of any of the above being moved would be in the ballpark of 6% at the highest (and even that sounds too high). It would likely be patching together whatever guys we have to take a peripheral guy like Craig, which would be a pretty sweet deal if you could land him for spare parts. One question is how much value Butler has. My consistent view has been to survey what's out there and go grab it (Dunn) because it doesn't have to alter the configuration of the above. But Clarkson would appear the most likely to move.

Like someone else said in either this thread or another one, the guarantee date for Oni is a few weeks away and it would be interesting to see what happens. My suspicion would be that that date comes and goes.
Basically agree. I think we are shopping in the bargain bin at the walgreens like 2 weeks after the holiday already happened. I doubt a guy like Craig is even happening based on our tax situation. Even merging 2 minimum salaries for one smallish salary will raise our bill significantly.

A JC trade could happen if we got a solid deal that also brought in less salary. I think it would have to be a deal that is pretty universally viewed as a significant win.

I think Oni is cut and then we likely do some 10 day deals with pauses in between to meet the minimum roster requirements. If something good pops up they will sign a minimum guy... if not they will convert Forrest's deal and sign a different two-way guy.

Speaking of buyout guys, the player I have my eye on is Tomas Satoranksy. I'm refusing to believe that he suddenly forgot how to play basketball. He was really good last year and had been a good player for some time. Great size, good athlete, isn't a horrible shooter, and makes good passes out of PnR. If not this year, maybe next year as an Ingles replacement.
Been a fan for a while. Think he is a guy that would fit well and is about as bad a fit as possible on NOLA.

Basically agree. I think we are shopping in the bargain bin at the walgreens like 2 weeks after the holiday already happened. I doubt a guy like Craig is even happening based on our tax situation. Even merging 2 minimum salaries for one smallish salary will raise our bill significantly.

A JC trade could happen if we got a solid deal that also brought in less salary. I think it would have to be a deal that is pretty universally viewed as a significant win.

I think Oni is cut and then we likely do some 10 day deals with pauses in between to meet the minimum roster requirements. If something good pops up they will sign a minimum guy... if not they will convert Forrest's deal and sign a different two-way guy.
As long as my man Dunn gets one of those 10-days to try out. The alternating 10-day guys while ultimately converting Forrest makes the most sense financially (how much does it save?) if they are off the Oni bus.

Actually, if we’re all-in on championship this year, then we should 10-day a bunch of Jazz legends so they can get a ring.

As long as my man Dunn gets one of those 10-days to try out. The alternating 10-day guys while ultimately converting Forrest makes the most sense financially (how much does it save?) if they are off the Oni bus.
No idea on the savings... too complex for me.

The situation in NOLA has to be pretty dire. I doubt Griffin is focused on winning this year now that Zion is out but not sure how much flexibility ownership is giving him... or what they are mandating. I'd be calling daily to check in if I was JZ... feels like they will do at least one more dumb thing this year.

I don't even think he's a bad fit for NOP that franchise is just toxic. He's kind of in a Batum situation before he got to LAC.
I think he needs a smart team with creators around him. Shooting might help as well... I just don't look at that roster as a great place for anyone to thrive and a guy with a more subtle game might just disappear.

Saw that Galloway signed a g-league deal. He may not be on the free agent waiver wire much longer. I'd be waiving Oni to sign him. I'd try to get him on a 1+1 deal to keep him around next year if he becomes a good find.

The situation in NOLA has to be pretty dire. I doubt Griffin is focused on winning this year now that Zion is out but not sure how much flexibility ownership is giving him... or what they are mandating. I'd be calling daily to check in if I was JZ... feels like they will do at least one more dumb thing this year.
Have JZ get Griffin drunk. Commiserate with him. Validate him. Then tell him that Zion really wanted his friend Lonzo to stay. Then suggest to him that you need to trade for Zion's friends like we did with Paschall. Next, you convince him that Zion's friends are Dok, Hughes, and Oni, and offer them up for Garrett Temple.

https%3A%2F%2Fraptorsrapture.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fgetty-images%2F2018%2F08%2F1311863857-850x560.jpeg

There is some part of me that believes everything will fall apart if we trade Clarkson for some reason. Like even though he's clearly the worst player out there and he takes a ton of shots, his intangible likability factor just trumps everything else and somehow makes Utah better.

Have JZ get Griffin drunk. Commiserate with him. Validate him. Then tell him that Zion really wanted his friend Lonzo to stay. Then suggest to him that you need to trade for Zion's friends like we did with Paschall. Next, you convince him that Zion's friends are Dok, Hughes, and Oni, and offer them up for Garrett Temple.
That's a lot of work to get Garrett Temple.

There is some part of me that believes everything will fall apart if we trade Clarkson for some reason. Like even though he's clearly the worst player out there and he takes a ton of shots, his intangible likability factor just trumps everything else and somehow makes Utah better.
I think there is something to this for sure. No one ever hangs their head or looks the least bit disappointed when he shoots a bad shot or misses a defensive assignment. His name was not one of the ones I remember being in trade rumors this offseason... heard Ingles, Bojan... I think its unlikely he is moved.