What's new

Trade deadline discussion

The thing that sucks the most is that Jared Butler isnt ready to take the Clarkson minutes yet. If he was, then I think a trade like mine would be perfect.

I'm fairly sure that the Raps wouldn't do it with their first... think they are closer to tanking than they are to competing for the playoffs. It likely would not convey if they did do a deal. baka is ded.

You want Yuta then you simply offer Oni and a second... done... He's not a proven guy so I doubt Quin would play him anyway.
But they are getting Keon Johnson, and it's a protected first. So they can still miss the playoffs (or narrowly make it) and still keep their pick. And I disagree they are closer to tanking than keeping the pick (unless they make some moves to deal FVV/Siakim/OG). Barnes is already a highly progressed rookie. They arent going to be looking to tank. This gives them a lottery type talent in Johnson without having to give up much of anything besides a first rounder down the line.

And no, I don't think you can just offer a 2nd rounder and get it done. Watanbe's defense is beyond that and he's a RFA next season.

But they are getting Keon Johnson, and it's a protected first. So they can still miss the playoffs (or narrowly make it) and still keep their pick. And I disagree they are closer to tanking than keeping the pick (unless they make some moves to deal FVV/Siakim/OG). Barnes is already a highly progressed rookie. They arent going to be looking to tank. This gives them a lottery type talent in Johnson without having to give up much of anything besides a first rounder down the line.

And no, I don't think you can just offer a 2nd rounder and get it done. Watanbe's defense is beyond that and he's a RFA next season.
OG is out for the foreseeable future. Siakham is perpetually on the block. They tanked the end of last year. They are a couple games out of the play in tournament. You think Massai cares about maybe winning the 7 or 8 seed?

I don't know what direction they head but I definitely think they are closer to rebuild than a playoff push.

OG is out for the foreseeable future. Siakham is perpetually on the block. They tanked the end of last year. They are a couple games out of the play in tournament. You think Massai cares about maybe winning the 7 or 8 seed?

I don't know what direction they head but I definitely think they are closer to rebuild than a playoff push.
Yeah, I think Massai would like to make the playoffs if he could. They arent going to be bad enough to tank into a top 5 pick. They got Barnes/Siakim/FVV/OG/Trent. They have a ton of talent. I think their focus is on winning with their young core and adding to it if they can (which is what my trade lets them do).

At the end of teh day this trade would probably center around their feelings towards Keon Johnson. This was a guy who many had as a late lottery pick for much of the pre-draft process.

Despite the way it can look at times, the Raptors are close to be pretty damn good. They need a guy who can use a lot of offensive possessions while being at least average in efficiency (not an easy piece to find, I admit).

Despite the way it can look at times, the Raptors are close to be pretty damn good. They need a guy who can use a lot of offensive possessions while being at least average in efficiency (not an easy piece to find, I admit).
They need the all star offensive player and he likely needs to be solid on defense if they are going to grow into a contender. They have a lot of guys who would be great as the 3rd or 4th best player on a title team. I think they will offload either Siakham or FVV this season in a deal that nets them future assets and helps them lock in as a lotto team. OG, Barnes, Trent are the long term building blocks imo.

So this Dame stuff is getting a little weird. I think he wants to stay there so he can get them to sign his 108M extension this summer... His deal would then be 5/250M. I think he may see his basketball mortality and wants to lock in as much as possible. By all accounts the dude is about his money. He is reportedly telling Portland to sell off the vets and rebuild around him.

I would trade him if I am Portland... passing on what you can get for him now combined with paying him on that deal is tough to swallow for a team that is clearly not going anywhere. I'd rather be the GM that pulls the plug a little early than a little late with those types of stakes.

Either way... I think there will be some changeover there.

So this Dame stuff is getting a little weird. I think he wants to stay there so he can get them to sign his 108M extension this summer... His deal would then be 5/250M. I think he may see his basketball mortality and wants to lock in as much as possible. By all accounts the dude is about his money. He is reportedly telling Portland to sell off the vets and rebuild around him.

I would trade him if I am Portland... passing on what you can get for him now combined with paying him on that deal is tough to swallow for a team that is clearly not going anywhere. I'd rather be the GM that pulls the plug a little early than a little late with those types of stakes.

Either way... I think there will be some changeover there.
It’s too bad Powell is hurt. I could see them looking to spike their offense and swapping him for JC.

Sabonis or Turner would be out of our reach. But it's possible to get guys like Craig or Justin Holiday out of Indiana at a fairly reasonable price. Then we can finally have a reason to convince ourselves to send Oni packing

One thing to monitor as well... Phoenix and GS have the ability to do another trade. GS has young talent and draft capital, phoenix has draft capital and some medium sized contracts to move. Those teams are likely to make a win now move that we aren't able to.

I'm worried about Golden State getting Myles Turner or Christian Wood. So far, their achilles heel is that they're small in the paint and Draymond isn't the same beast he used to be.

I'm worried about Golden State getting Myles Turner or Christian Wood. So far, their achilles heel is that they're small in the paint and Draymond isn't the same beast he used to be.
Wood is more possible than Turner... I think Turner's salary is a little prohibitive. I think they might use Wiseman to get a win now piece.

Watanbe is the exact player the Jazz need IMO. He would be a perfect fit in Quin's system. He's going to be one of those role players I always hope the Jazz can find a way to sign or trade for.

He's an excellent team defender. He's a versatile man defender. He plays super hard on defense. He's a legit 6'8/6'9 who can guard on the perimeter.

Offensively he can knock down shots and he's a high IQ player though he might not have the game to be an off the bounce scorer. More game off the bounce than O'Neale though.

The subtraction of Clarkson's D and addition of Yuta's D would put Utah as a top 5 defensive team again.

Watanbe has some strong early career Joe Ingles vibes too.

Now, as Watanabe has set his sights on the NBA, he has focused on others to model his game after. He said he watches film of Jazz forward Joe Ingles because he sees similarities in their game. “I see myself trying to be like him. He’s a lefty, a great shooter and a great defender. I’ve been watching his tape a lot,” Watanabe said.

4 years ago – via NBC Sports

This is what Watanbe said 4 years ago. Let this man play with his idol before he retires!

How about something realistic, instead?
I don't think anything is realistic from the Jazz side.

Both of these players have been available before at a low cost. Trent Jr probably is a bit out of our ability now. Although I think we could get him but the Jazz would have to give up more than I suggested.

Oubre on the other hand is more of a possibility. There are rumors Jordan is irritated by his dumb plays. They really need a scorer and a center. We could offer that. But then we would have to find another backup C. They are fighting to make the playoffs and need changes for that to happen.

I've been tempted on Oubre before... we'd all hate him within a few minutes. He would not fit what we want to do imo. His percentages are solid right now and maybe I have just watched him on bad nights... but when I watched him it was fairly off putting.
His offense is terrible at times, he forces things and makes dumb plays. But he has always been a versatile defender and I think in our system he wouldn't force things as much. We all want an athletic versatile defender. There are going to have to be warts somewhere. There isn't a perfect two way player we can get.

His offense is terrible at times, he forces things and makes dumb plays. But he has always been a versatile defender and I think in our system he wouldn't force things as much. We all want an athletic versatile defender. There are going to have to be warts somewhere. There isn't a perfect two way player we can get.
That’s fair. I just think we will like the idea of Oubre more than the actual play of Oubre.

Kelly Oubre reminds me of Jeff Green, in the sense that he will build an entire career on potential and flashes of brilliance but overall mediocrity