What's new

Trade deadline discussion

Jerami Grant in Detroit may not be entirely out of reach if the Jazz are serious about him. Detroit is clearly tanking. His contract is big though, so the Jazz would have to offer Bogdanovic-plus and involve a 3rd team.

Not sure I'd do it though. Knock-down shooting seems to be our thing.

I think Boston is pushing the luxury tax, and I could see them moving one of their wings to slip under it. It would probably be someone like Nesmith or Langford.

I think Toronto could be talked into moving Siakam, but his contract is just too big for the Jazz.

Ben Simmons would cost Conley, Bogdanovic and 2 FRPs as a starting point, and that probably wouldn't get it done. I think he's just too expensive for a non-shooter.

Last edited:
Actually, Ingles and Wood's salary match already. They can have an expiring and a pick. We get Wood
They would laugh at that if they wouldn’t be so insulted.

Wood is going to get at least two 1sts + or a mid-1st and promising young player. At least. Jazz would have to clear out the cupboard of anything resembling a rebuilding asset for Wood, which probably wouldn’t be enough to fetch Wood and who isn’t a player that would probably mesh very well here (not a very good passer or threatening shooter [works as a stretch 5 when given space and time to shoot], and the Jazz currently have some decent stretchy bigs right now).

Wood isn’t happening. Especially with Butler buried and/or playing poorly.

Ingles and a 2RP might get Cedi Osman if the Jazz do another annual Cavs holiday trade. Cavs may be trying to compete for POs this year though.

Clarkson + Butler + future FRP might get a deal with Houston for Wood if Houston can then flip Clarkson for another FRP. They'd be getting 2 FRPs and a decent young prospect for Wood's last 1.5 years. Wood probably isn't going to stick around with Houston long-term, and that's at least as good a return as Portland paid for Robert Covington. Bogey and Gay then replace Clarkson as our primary bench scorers, and our defense improves overall. Problem is, Warriors can beat that package if they want to.

Jazz could waive Miye Oni and bring back Exum.
Cleveland is desperate to make the playoffs so

Trade Clarkson and Oni or whoever for salary and picks for Gary Trent Jr. He's can make shots and create a little but he's become a pretty elite perimeter defenser at 6'5". I'm not sure why for Toronto so maybe a third team.

Clarkson for Oubre. A versatile defender would go a long ways for us. We wouldn't need him to create as much.

Trade Clarkson and Oni or whoever for salary and picks for Gary Trent Jr. He's can make shots and create a little but he's become a pretty elite perimeter defenser at 6'5". I'm not sure why for Toronto so maybe a third team.

Clarkson for Oubre. A versatile defender would go a long ways for us. We wouldn't need him to create as much.
How about something realistic, instead?

I think Boston is pushing the luxury tax, and I could see them moving one of their wings to slip under it. It would probably be someone like Nesmith or Langford.

I think Toronto could be talked into moving Siakam, but his contract is just too big for the Jazz.

Ben Simmons would cost Conley, Bogdanovic and 2 FRPs as a starting point, and that probably wouldn't get it done. I think he's just too expensive for a non-shooter.

Boston probably just pays 2nds to dump Juancho on an OKC type team at the deadline.

How about something realistic, instead?
Fine... they can have the rights to Ante Tomic (we don't actually have those rights anymore but I'm guessing we could trade em again)

One thing to monitor as well... Phoenix and GS have the ability to do another trade. GS has young talent and draft capital, phoenix has draft capital and some medium sized contracts to move. Those teams are likely to make a win now move that we aren't able to.

I think it's fallen a decent amount. The opinion on him around these parts has definitely fallen a lot. I still think he's a positive asset, but I also think Hart has played really well this year and is now signed to a favorable contract. And like I said, if reality wasn't setting in during the summer for NOP it has to be setting in now. Josh Hart is exactly the type of player they need, but so was Lonzo and they traded a first to downgrade. Hopefully for our sake it adds to more Griffin desperation but there's no way in hell they should let that guy make another move. He should be gone already.

Even if JC's value hasn't dropped a ton, I think the Hart situation is different. If they have anyone with a brain in that FO they'd realize that they accidentally stumbled upon a strong asset. If they still have the opinion of Hart that they did in the off-season, get the deal done.
Our opinion does not equal what GMs think. His value was likely not as high as some around here thought this summer and I doubt it has changed all that much among GMs. Maybe at the trade deadline last year at the peak of his hot shooting streak he had a lot more value but I think most GMs have less recency bias than we would. With young players I think it swings wildly because they don't have an established baseline. With vets you kinda know what they are going to give you... maybe you get a small pop because they are in a different situation.

I'd have to watch Hart more. I like him in general... I like the idea of him... I've just never watched him and thought "that guy is a defensive menace". I think he's very Royce-y. I like Royce so Hart for JC... sure why not. I am not sure it is the cure all some think it will be.

I've been tempted on Oubre before... we'd all hate him within a few minutes. He would not fit what we want to do imo. His percentages are solid right now and maybe I have just watched him on bad nights... but when I watched him it was fairly off putting.

I think it's fallen a decent amount. The opinion on him around these parts has definitely fallen a lot. I still think he's a positive asset, but I also think Hart has played really well this year and is now signed to a favorable contract. And like I said, if reality wasn't setting in during the summer for NOP it has to be setting in now. Josh Hart is exactly the type of player they need, but so was Lonzo and they traded a first to downgrade. Hopefully for our sake it adds to more Griffin desperation but there's no way in hell they should let that guy make another move. He should be gone already.

Even if JC's value hasn't dropped a ton, I think the Hart situation is different. If they have anyone with a brain in that FO they'd realize that they accidentally stumbled upon a strong asset. If they still have the opinion of Hart that they did in the off-season, get the deal done.
one lol wasn't enough. so, lol.

So are there developments on Smart that nobody is suggesting that anymore or is it just that people feel JC's value isn't enough to grab him so nobody is discussing it? People mentioned salary issues for Boston and that would save them $2M.

So are there developments on Smart that nobody is suggesting that anymore or is it just that people feel JC's value isn't enough to grab him so nobody is discussing it? People mentioned salary issues for Boston and that would save them $2M.
It feels like a pipedream to me, tbh. Boston has the bare minimum of ball-handlers who distribute the ball, so swapping Smart for Clarkson doesn't make much sense to me.

This isn't to say that Boston couldn't use JC, though. I think they definitely could.

They were losing before and have turned it around a bit. Smart makes more sense on their roster than JC. If they move Smart I think it is in a deal for Ben Simmons or something bigger. Maybe this offseason they move him in a smaller deal.

I think you'd be more likely to get a JC for Richardson trade done than a JC for Smart deal.

I think the discussion about JC trades needs to focus on some teams that are likely to get particularly desperate and those that are likely to realize their offenses are stuck at league average and therefore want to roll the dice on an accelerant like JC. I'm looking at Portland (Larry Nance.... again), LAL (would Horton-Tucker be a defensive upgrade? I honestly don't know his game). Two examples of the "stuck-in-average" offenses are the 76ers and Wizards. Shake Milton would be a good get, but would require a 3rd team to balance salaries. KCP would be a defensive upgrade over JC.

I'm not endorsing any of these trades, btw. Like, I can't see how Nance gets on the floor enough with how Q managing his rotations.

But I think the biggest break on the possibility of a JC trade is our own front office. So, this post likely represents the most brainpower I'm likely to devote to this question. I'll continue to laugh at some of the suggestions on this board, though

I'm starting to really like the idea of replacing JC with Kenrich Williams. We don't need to replace JC with a guard. In most lineups he plays with 2 of mike, Don, or Joe... having a bigger guy shifts everyone up a spot. Kenrich does a lot of things well and has had tremendous on/off numbers over the last two years. I think he's a guy that will help you win games. The cost savings in my original deal would be enormous.