What's new

Trade deadline discussion

Larry Nance Jr. fits the archetype somewhat. I also wouldn't give up entirely on pursuing Kyle Kuzma. Wizards can move somebody.
Nance has an injury right now... not sure how serious... but could tank his trade value/availability.

I told you earlier, I had a dream where the Jazz traded for Kelly Oubre. I'm guessing they traded Clarkson, but I'm wondering if it was Royce.

Last edited:
One trade isn't going to fix this team. It would take multiple moves and we likely don't have the assets to get it done.

I'd just like to reiterate that as lacking as Clarkson is on the defensive end, that's how lacking Royce is on the offensive end. Of all our perimeter players, Royce is the most limited offensively.

On a night when Donovan and Rudy Gay were out, Royce made 1 shot, was scoreless in the 2nd half, and winged an open 3pt shot past the rim when he was completely unguarded. We celebrate Royce's toughness and rebounds only because they're completely lacking elsewhere on the roster.

I'd just like to reiterate that as lacking as Clarkson is on the defensive end, that's how lacking Royce is on the offensive end. Of all our perimeter players, Royce is the most limited offensively.

On a night when Donovan and Rudy Gay were out, Royce made 1 shot, was scoreless in the 2nd half, and winged an open 3pt shot past the rim when he was completely unguarded. We celebrate Royce's toughness and rebounds only because they're completely lacking elsewhere on the roster.

If we're being honest, he's also pretty overrated defensively

If the Jazz want to be more bullet-proof contenders, I think they need two players: a) a versatile two-way guard with some size who can close games if matchups dictate, and b) a long, athletic wing who defends, rebounds and can score double figures when called upon.

I understand that Rudy Gay is supposed to be the second guy, but he's been too inconsistent to rely upon. Joe Ingles used to be a stand-in for the first guy, but he's pretty baked at this point. I'm pretty sure I saw him on a menu in Park City.

So I guess I'm not blaming other guys for their limitations so much as pointing out that two guys who are supposed to make us deeper and more versatile haven't really panned out.

Last edited:
this actually reminds me of the big AL/Millsap/Corbin era.

In 2012/2013, we were competing for an eighth seed/first round exit at best when we really should've just blown it all up and gathered as many assets as possible from big AL/Millsap's contract. Instead, we got the first round exit we wanted and allowed both of them to walk in FA for nothing.

Maybe this time we should do something different.

I'm now getting curious to see what would happen if Elijah Hughes took some of Royce's minutes depending on the matchup. If it's a perimeter defensive assignment, rather than down on the block, Hughes might be able to do it. Plus, Hughes is a bigger threat to score the ball. He's got the 3ball, floaters, and some at-the-rim finishes.

He had a game where he put up 26/8/4 in Toronto, and he's never been heard from again.

I can't imagine they'd trade Donovan. He's signed for another three years after this one. If there's a shock trade, it's because the Jazz got a strong offer for Conley.

When the Jazz traded DWill, the real reason was because they didn't want to give him another $100M max extension.

It's a bit conspicuous that Hassan Whiteside and Eric Paschall didn't play tonight. Both were available, I think.

I can't imagine they'd trade Donovan. He's signed for another three years after this one. If there's a shock trade, it's because the Jazz got a strong offer for Conley.

When the Jazz traded DWill, the real reason was because they didn't want to give him another $100M max extension.

It's a bit conspicuous that Hassan Whiteside and Eric Paschall didn't play tonight. Both were available, I think.
Whiteside was out tonight.

Makes me wonder how important Niang was to the locker room last year. The chemistry of this year’s squad is non-existent.

Makes me wonder how important Niang was to the locker room last year. The chemistry of this year’s squad is non-existent.

The problem is that Joe is declining due to age and Clarkson's shooting percentages are down. That's enough to expose the other weaknesses of the team. Plus, now everyone in the league knows how to beat the Jazz after the Clippers exposed us last season.

The problem is that Joe is declining due to age and Clarkson's shooting percentages are down. That's enough to expose the other weaknesses of the team. Plus, now everyone in the league knows how to beat the Jazz after the Clippers exposed us last season.

I think Clarkson's defense may actually be an even bigger problem than his poor shooting and ball hogging on offense.

Blaming JC, Joe or Royce for our issues is foolish.

There are 4 people to blame:

Quin - seems inconsistent yet unwilling to think outside his own box

Rudy - sure he's a hard worker, but I don't think he's a guy who really motivates his teammates. They respect him but also seem annoyed by him. I think his comments to the media maybe have finally taken their toll

Conley - he was brought in to be our missing piece and provide savvy vet leadership. I don't see **** from him other than being a great guy and solid player

Don - playoff superstar who has to find a way to carry this team in the regular season like he has in the playoffs. His effort is not enough.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app