What's new

Trade deadline discussion

I'm about to get off the Butler train. The fact that he can't beat out an undrafted free agent for minutes says a lot. He must really stink in practice and scrimmages. He supposedly showed up to the Stars with an attitude that's he's much superior to the GLeague. That's my BestBuy story and I'm sticking to it.
The "he must suck in practice" argument is dumb AF. During the season they don't practice a ton... travel/rest days are limited in between game days. How much do you think they scrimmage? Not much at all.

He led all rookies in scoring during the preseason. He played well in the G League but not amazing. That team is also craptastic so not a great thriving environment.

If we had JB on a 4 year deal then I'm all for the slow play here.... We have him on a two year deal... we need to see him out there early. Its really some classic player/asset mismanagement. Trent has been pretty much ******** the bed every other game and Quin still won't budge. We are now 50% through the season basically and I'm sure JB has learned the playbook a bit more and has improved... but the chances for getting him up to speed by season's end are dwindling fast. We took all the momentum he had coming off a strong preseason and neutered it to spend time on a solid defender who is likely the worst kind of offensive player... the low usage, high turnover, non-shooter.

My wacky trade ideas.

1. Joe Ingles to Boston for Marcus Smart. Celtics have 149 mil committed in salary for next season and need relief somewhere as they are currently the 9th seed in the East. Joe's expiring deal essentially saves them over 30 million.
2. Bojan Bogdanovic (plus 1st round pick or Jared Butler) for Jerami Grant.
3. Send Dwayne Wade and Danny Ainge to Spain and have them talk Nikola Mirotic into signing for vet minimum (2 mil) to win a ring.

C- Gobert, Whiteside
PF - Mirotic, R. Gay
SF - J. Grant, R. O'Neale
SG - D. Mitchell, J. Clarkson
PG - M. Smart, M. Conley

This gives our starting lineup some suffocating defense, but still allows us to play 4 out, the bench gets to run the same. Royce O'Neale becomes our 4th or possibly 5th best defensive player and gets to start guarding the opposing teams best 6th man, instead of their leading scorer.

My wacky trade ideas.

1. Joe Ingles to Boston for Marcus Smart. Celtics have 149 mil committed in salary for next season and need relief somewhere as they are currently the 9th seed in the East. Joe's expiring deal essentially saves them over 30 million.
2. Bojan Bogdanovic (plus 1st round pick or Jared Butler) for Jerami Grant.
3. Send Dwayne Wade and Danny Ainge to Spain and have them talk Nikola Mirotic into signing for vet minimum (2 mil) to win a ring.

C- Gobert, Whiteside
PF - Mirotic, R. Gay
SF - J. Grant, R. O'Neale
SG - D. Mitchell, J. Clarkson
PG - M. Smart, M. Conley

This gives our starting lineup some suffocating defense, but still allows us to play 4 out, the bench gets to run the same. Royce O'Neale becomes our 4th or possibly 5th best defensive player and gets to start guarding the opposing teams best 6th man, instead of their leading scorer.
Mirotic ain't coming. His wife hates the US.

So I see where one Joe Ingles and one Rudy Gay is good for one Jerami Grant on the NBA trade machine, which raises the following question. With the emergence of Bey and Cunningham, does Grant become expendable to a lottery team?

I mean it makes perfect sense from the standpoint of who wouldn't want a front court tandem of Bey and Gay, and on the other hand who wants the headache of having two Rudy's and two R.G.'s in their rotation?

So I see where one Joe Ingles and one Rudy Gay is good for one Jerami Grant on the NBA trade machine, which raises the following question. With the emergence of Bey and Cunningham, does Grant become expendable to a lottery team?

I mean it makes perfect sense from the standpoint of who wouldn't want a front court tandem of Bey and Gay, and on the other hand who wants the headache of having two Rudy's and two R.G.'s in their rotation?
Grant is basically a lock to get traded at this deadline. He will have many suitors and will come with a premium because of the lack of other big name trade candidates. I will set the bar at 2 late firsts, an okayish young player, and an expiring contract. I think Memphis is the team to watch. Atlanta and Chicago also have the goods to get something done (if Chicago is willing to move Patrick Williams). I could see Cleveland throwing in Sexton and a pick as well. Basically the Ingles, Butler, and a first platter is pretty meh.

Ingles numbers since the report came out last week that the Jazz almost traded him in the offseason: 3 ppg, 1.3 rebounds, 3.5 assists, 3/14 from the field, 1/12 from 3. Coincidence?

Grant is basically a lock to get traded at this deadline. He will have many suitors and will come with a premium because of the lack of other big name trade candidates. I will set the bar at 2 late firsts, an okayish young player, and an expiring contract. I think Memphis is the team to watch. Atlanta and Chicago also have the goods to get something done (if Chicago is willing to move Patrick Williams). I could see Cleveland throwing in Sexton and a pick as well. Basically the Ingles, Butler, and a first platter is pretty meh.
Dang I thought it would be a lock just for the Gay/Bey factor alone;)

But yeah, that figures!

Ingles numbers since the report came out last week that the Jazz almost traded him in the offseason: 3 ppg, 1.3 rebounds, 3.5 assists, 3/14 from the field, 1/12 from 3. Coincidence?
Interesting, first I'd heard of it. Kind of explains a lot actually, or at least provides more room for conjecture.

Nah he just got the Rona!

What was the supposed deal?
Nobody knows... it might just be Danny Ainge's influence "hey guys.... let's tell em we had a deal lined up and the coach killed it.... it was an awesome deal too!"