What's new

Trade deadline discussion

You can't win this bogey or ingles. You can't make up for Clarkson's offense. Yes I know he's hot or cold but we live and die by his production. Only Mitchell and Clarkson can create their own offense and get off their own shot. Bogey and ingles are gonna be traded not Clarkson.
I trust Conley and even Bogey far more to create for themselves and even others. Clarkson can create for himself but his career has shown that he is very low efficiency besides the very rare games and he gives up just as much on defense. He also kills his teammates with his lack of ball movement. At some point we needed his offense at any cost. We dont any more. If we keep him ill cheer for him and hope he gets hot when it matters because he seems like a good person. But if we can get someone that fits, we should.

He believed in the organization and loved the team. Plus Quin gave him the green light on offense
That is what he said, but we also gave him way more money than anyone else would have. That will make someone say nice things. We often overpay to keep people here like him. Its pretty normal for the Jazz over the years.

I trust Conley and even Bogey far more to create for themselves and even others. Clarkson can create for himself but his career has shown that he is very low efficiency besides the very rare games and he gives up just as much on defense. He also kills his teammates with his lack of ball movement. At some point we needed his offense at any cost. We dont any more. If we keep him ill cheer for him and hope he gets hot when it matters because he seems like a good person. But if we can get someone that fits, we should.
I'm not here to attack Bojan but he will get carved up defensively. His shot is either off or on. I predict the jazz trade Bojan before Clarkson

I'm not here to attack Bojan but he will get carved up defensively. His shot is either off or on. I predict the jazz trade Bojan before Clarkson
Uh... Clarkson gets carved up worse defensively. Bojan at least tries on defense and in certain matchups is okay. Clarkson is the same with his shot being on or off, but his is off way way more often.

Also Conley stayed with the team and chose to be here just the same, yet you want to trade him and he is a far better player than Clarkson on both ends of the court,

Its okay, I think you are a huge fan of Clarkson, so I get it.

Uh... Clarkson gets carved up worse defensively. Bojan at least tries on defense and in certain matchups is okay. Clarkson is the same with his shot being on or off, but his is off way way more often.

Also Conley stayed with the team and chose to be here just the same, yet you want to trade him and he is a far better player than Clarkson on both ends of the court,

Its okay, I think you are a huge fan of Clarkson, so I get it.
He’s just such a space cadet… I watch him play defense with the same thought I have watching my dog chase butterflies “wonder what exactly he is thinking”.

He’s just such a space cadet… I watch him play defense with the same thought I have watching my dog chase butterflies “wonder what exactly he is thinking”.
He seemed focused and better to start the season, but it went away quickly. He still tries at times but then just zones out and isnt trying at all most of the time. Its night and day difference between being a bad defender and not trying at all. Its okay to struggle to stay in front of someone as long as you try and you make good rotations. Look at Middleton for the Bucks. He is probably the least athletic player in the NBA ever, but he rotates pretty well, works hard, and moves his feet. Same as Ingles from a couple years ago. Although Ingles had other world reaction time with his hands for awhile somehow.

Sad too cuz Clarkson is extremely quick and has very long arms.

It's wild to me everyone complains about our guards being small when they all have extremely impressive wingspans (Conley included).

And he knows he won't get benched for playing like a jackass
Snyder is really hard on young PG/SG but gives vets the greenest light in the world. Exum got immediately yanked for any missed rotation on defense. Butler can hardly move without getting the ire of Snyder. But Clarkson can not even try on defense and jack up bad shots over and over again. I feel like with the young guys he is trying to teach them and make them into better players with learning moments, where he isnt trying to change some vets at all. Some of that is fine but you also need to let these guys play through mistakes and get minutes. Butler and Hughes should make Clarkson easy to trade away.

No way. Clarkson is a net-negative player on offense, let alone defense.
According to basketball reference Clarkson has the lowest offensive rating of any player who has gotten any minutes or playing time except for Butler and Oni. But he is lower than Forest and everyone else. Then on defense he is one of our lowest as well. Giving him a net rating of... team worst -8. The only players with worst net rating this season are... Oni and Cheatham. Clarkson's offensive and defensive box +/- are both negative. He has been really bad this year. If we keep him our best hope is he gets super hot like he did last season in the first half in the playoffs. Or someone on the team steps up and makes him play defense make better decisions on offense when he isnt hot. But that seems pretty unlikely.

The Jazz need one more player who is really good. It almost doesn't matter what position it is. It could be anyone who plays 2 - 4. They can find a way to fill in the gaps.

Last edited:
Just going to get ahead of the suggestion and say that Robert Covington is severely overrated.
Bringing back the 2nd comment on this thread due to the RoCo rumor:

Bad idea, especially if an unprotected 1st is involved. He doesn't bring much that Gay, O'Neale, and Paschall don't, except height. Maybe an extra steal or two.
Trading Ingles for him maybe could work; trading Clarkson for him, possibly worth it? But Bogie? Terrible. TERRIBLE.
I'm not even sure I'd trade Bogey for Marcus Smart and I'm stanning for Smart hard. Covington is a solid, solid tier below Smart in capability.

I swear, the Jazz better not overpay for this guy like Portland did. Maybe it wouldn't be a disaster, but it will definitely not be looked at as a steal.
Barring a third team getting involved and bringing in someone that's exactly what the Jazz need, I really think Roco should be avoided.

I trust Conley and even Bogey far more to create for themselves and even others. Clarkson can create for himself but his career has shown that he is very low efficiency besides the very rare games and he gives up just as much on defense. He also kills his teammates with his lack of ball movement.
Bingo. Right now, besides creating for themselves, the only guys that can initiate plays and distribute for others are Conley, Mitchell, and Ingles. Bogey can do it a bit when needed. Clarkson is just a heat seeking missile.

If you trade Bogey or Ingles for someone like Covington or Smart, that leaves just Conley and DM to run the offense. Bogey is easier to trade, but Clarkson and Ingles are the most replaceable.

Honestly, I think the Jazz should go all in for a guy like Sabonis or Brogdon, if those guys are really available. We need someone who raises the ceiling.

If the Jazz get Covington, I think he'll just be another rotational guy.

Brogdon is big enough to play on the wing, btw. He's practically the same size as Royce. So if the Jazz like multiple creators on the floor, he'd fit right in.

Last edited:
Jazz Out:
Bojan and a second to Boston
Jordan Clarkson, Udoka and a 2026 unprotected first to Detroit

Jazz In:
Jerami Grant
Marcus Smart

Boston Out:
Marcus Smart to Utah
2022 First Round Pick (lotto protected) to Detroit

Boston In:
Bojan Bogdanovic