What's new

Trade deadline discussion

It's shocking to me that we set out to build a contender around Don and Rudy, yet the only value we have outside of them is...

A 34 year old good but undersized PG

A 32 year old floor stretcher with finger issues who isn't great at anything but shooting

Royce who is not a great NBA starter and is required to play 40mpg

Clarkson who many feel is more negative than positive

Our FO has really ****ed up what could be an amazing era in our franchise.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app
Only one borderline all-star, the top two in 6MoY voting and another guy who averages 18 & 4 outside of the Rudy & Don. What a failure of teambuilding.

Only one borderline all-star, the top two in 6MoY voting and another guy who averages 18 & 4 outside of the Rudy & Don. What a failure of teambuilding.
Despite all those cute things, we are only 6 players deep and not a soul, outside of a few Jazz optimists, think we have a shot in hell this year.

And, we are millions into the luxury with this experiment.

Yuck. If we’ve really dangled a first for Gordon with him owed $19 million next year at age 34, then fade me, I’m done.

I'm not trying to be mean or disrespectful. We had our Atlanta Hawks year where we had a fantastic record while a ton of guys got recognition. Hell, even Kyle Korver went to the All Star Game.

This year, we've clearly taken a step back plus Ingles is out which is a crushing blow. I see no reason to continue as planned. We gotta do something.

Yuck. If we’ve really dangled a first for Gordon with him owed $19 million next year at age 34, then fade me, I’m done.
Only 7 more than JC and next year is his last year. He also has an extra non guaranteed year, so he would be a big trade asset next year

I'm not trying to be mean or disrespectful. We had our Atlanta Hawks year where we had a fantastic record while a ton of guys got recognition. Hell, even Kyle Korver went to the All Star Game.

This year, we've clearly taken a step back plus Ingles is out which is a crushing blow. I see no reason to continue as planned. We gotta do something.
Lmao shut up. The Jazz we're not the Hawks last year

I am beginning to think that outside of Grant or Barnes there really is nothing worth throwing any assets at any better than someone like House really. No real needle-movers, and we have Paschall, House, Forrest, and even Butler who have all been passable to good with glimpses of great on perimeter D. Those guys could all give us about what we would get from anyone outside of a Grant or Barnes, and we have them already so we don't need to waste assets. I think Clarkson will have more value during the off-season, tbh.

However this requires Quin to actually play those guys enough to see what we really have, and I just don't see it. Paschall might get 6-8 MPG depending on circumstances. Forrest will continue to get 8-10 MPG. Butler and House will be used sporadically. For some reason Quin loves dribble-and-chuck way way more than energy and defense and good 3 pt shooting or play-making. I don't get his mind-set. Time for us to switch coaches, imo.

Yeah we were. The Hawks went 60-22 and made it to the Eastern Conference Finals. They had 4 All Stars.

We went 52-20 last year and didn't even make the conference finals. We had 3 All Stars and the 6th Man of the Year.
and DPOY

Yeah we were. The Hawks went 60-22 and made it to the Eastern Conference Finals. They had 4 All Stars.

We went 52-20 last year and didn't even make the conference finals. We had 3 All Stars and the 6th Man of the Year.
I think Rudy is better than Horford and Don is better than anybody that was on that Atlanta team, but teams are measured by results.

Worth noting - after their fantastic season ended in an Eastern Finals sweep at the hands of Cleveland, Atlanta dropped 12 wins the next year to go 48-34.

Atlanta 2014-15 Win Percentage of 73%
Atlanta 2015-16 Win Percentage of 59%

Utah 2020-21 Win Percentage of 72%
Utah 2020-21 Win Percentage if we lose to the Warriors tonight 60%

I would definitely give up a first for Gordon. That's his market. Scores and plays defense and is an immediate Clarkson upgrade. Knows what it takes to win and plays accordingly. Would be a great addition to the Jazz who sound more babyish with every report. Gordon has dealt with Harden and CP3. Experience helps.

I am not sure what the deal with Sato is but the gamble is probably worth a 2nd. Not a great shooter but he can run the PnR, is tall and defends some. He is better suited to be off-ball PG and can play of Mitchell or others. I understand the deal would be lackluster on its own, though.

I would definitely give up a first for Gordon. That's his market. Scores and plays defense and is an immediate Clarkson upgrade. Knows what it takes to win and plays accordingly. Would be a great addition to the Jazz who sound more babyish with every report. Gordon has dealt with Harden and CP3. Experience helps.

I am not sure what the deal with Sato is but the gamble is probably worth a 2nd. Not a great shooter but he can run the PnR, is tall and defends some. He is better suited to be off-ball PG and can play of Mitchell or others. I understand the deal would be lackluster on its own, though.

Some people on this site don’t understand how good Gordon is amazingly even after he has torched us in the playoffs.

Some people on this site don’t understand how good Gordon is amazingly even after he has torched us in the playoffs.
If we could have added Gordon for Clarkson and pieces while Joe was still healthy, it would have been brilliant business. Now, it seems like a massive risk for an unlikely reward while it also really complicates our 2022-23 finances.

If we could have added Gordon for Clarkson and pieces while Joe was still healthy, it would have been brilliant business. Now, it seems like a massive risk for an unlikely reward while it also really complicates our 2022-23 finances.

He’d be a huge expiring contract next year. We’d save money this year as well. Not sure how that really complicates things.

Agree, he was the only Rockets player I was never able to hate, really liked his game and character.

Am I remembering this wrong or is Eric Gordon not a great defender? I'm not talking bad, just not above average? I know he can score and shoot, I just don't see the need for a 6'3" 33 year old injury prone combo guard right now,
especially considering how few assets the Jazz have. I'd think there are better ways to use what they do have, especially since defense should be the focus on potential acquisitions.

Ingles/Clarkson/1st for Gordon and Tate. Save 5M this year which equates to even more due to the tax. If we could grab Tate in the deal as well it’s a home run.

He’d be a huge expiring contract next year. We’d save money this year as well. Not sure how that really complicates things.
If we kept the current roster going into the offseason, we would have a $141 million roster when the luxury is set at $147. After filling out the roster, we will be right at the luxury if not barely beyond.

If we added Gordon for Ingles and Clarkson, we would be at or around the luxury without adding the remaining 6 players of the roster. Bojan and Gordon would both be expirings, but we would have to do a lot of work to get under the luxury. Also add in that expiring contracts don't seem to have the power they once did.

Am I remembering this wrong or is Eric Gordon not a great defender? I'm not talking bad, just not above average? I know he can score and shoot, I just don't see the need for a 6'3" 33 year old injury prone combo guard right now,
especially considering how few assets the Jazz have. I'd think there are better ways to use what they do have, especially since defense should be the focus on potential acquisitions.
This. He is a better defender than Clarkson, but not by a ton, and I guess if we could swap straight across it might be a moderate gain, but not enough to risk future assets.