What's new

Trade for Goran Dragic?

When a team trades for a UFA they usually get an agreement for the player to sign at the end of the season. Like Love and Rondo.

Generally happens. But there is always risk. Cavs thought they had an "understanding" with Boozer and his agent. Carlos bolted once he discovered he could earn a lot more on the open market. I think with Love and Rondo there is less risk because they're going to supposed contenders, which they had a hand in selecting. In Love's case, he probably gets a max contract, which will be larger than any other team can offer. With Rondo, there's more risk. He's not worth max money. And as a result, Boston didn't get as much back for him. Really, what was the cornerstone of that deal? Wright and a conditional 1st-rounder (which likely falls in the late 20's)?

I agree with those who say we shouldn't trade for an UFA. Even IF a player WANTS/DEMANDS a trade to Utah, it would be like the Carmelo situation. Wouldn't a player who truly wants to be a team-first guy be willing to accept a max contract with slightly lower increases which ensures the team he's going to is STRONGER because they haven't given up key players to get him?

And especially in this case, with the cap going up in 2016, FA's may want much shorter contracts this summer so they can opt out and sign a much higher deal later. I could even see some of the FA's this summer asking for 1-yr deals.

Boozer is the only player that I remember backing out of something he had agreed to.

IINM, he technically didn't agree to anything. Pelinka denied there had been any discussion regarding a new contract with Gund. Cavs provided the details of what they supposedly had agreed to, but there's the risk. A contract can't officially be signed and you rely on that player's word. Love hasn't committed to the Cavs yet. And even LBJ is making waves, first with his comments regarding Blatt and then supposedly telling Wade that “if things aren’t better this year, we’re gonna reunite again and do some bigger and better things, all right?”