What's new

Trump reverses migrant separation policy

Hard to say honestly. She's the First Lady with a retinue of aides whose job it is to take mind of her wardrobe choices, especially for public appearances. She's also got a background in fashion so it's hard to believe she just grabbed this jacket off the hanger without giving it any thought.

She spoke publicly against the policy tho.

Any first Lady would have been excoriated for wearing that jacket, rightfully so.

And she spoke publicly with that jacket.

It doesn't make sense for her to publicly and unequivocally attack the policy, then wear that jacket to make a contradictory statement.

I'm not talking about whether the jacket is appropriate for a first lady. I'm saying that the intention was not to underhandedly support the policy. That wouldn't make much sense. She doesn't seem very political to begin with.

It’s an awful jacket given what’s going on, but I cannot believe she would wear it purposefully to antagonize people. I think she’s just dumb and politically tone deaf.

Will someone explain to me why the misleading argument that something similar happened during Obama's, Bush's or Clinton's administrations have anything to do with our current immigration policy mess? And what's the point of trying to make people feel bad because they weren't up in arms about an issue that hadn't yet captured the collective imagination?

It's like saying that Abraham Lincoln should have not bothered with the slavery issue because George Washington and subsequent presidents didn't fix it. It's a lame argument that does absolutely nothing to further social progress. There are a million issues that aren't being dealt with yet that we will be upset about in the future, and it doesn't mean we are bad people now because we haven't realized yet that we need to care about them.

Our current executive and legislative branches are doing a pretty crappy job of governing considering the power they should be able to wield. Blaming former administrations just makes them look petty and even weaker than they already look.

It’s an awful jacket given what’s going on, but I cannot believe she would wear it purposefully to antagonize people. I think she’s just dumb and politically tone deaf.

And apparently so are all of the people who work with her. Not one single person figured out how bad that looks?

And apparently so are all of the people who work with her. Not one single person figured out how bad that looks?

Well ya, everyone in the White House is dumb and politically tone deaf apparently.

Will someone explain to me why the misleading argument that something similar happened during Obama's, Bush's or Clinton's administrations have anything to do with our current immigration policy mess? And what's the point of trying to make people feel bad because they weren't up in arms about an issue that hadn't yet captured the collective imagination?

It's like saying that Abraham Lincoln should have not bothered with the slavery issue because George Washington and subsequent presidents didn't fix it. It's a lame argument that does absolutely nothing to further social progress. There are a million issues that aren't being dealt with yet that we will be upset about in the future, and it doesn't mean we are bad people now because we haven't realized yet that we need to care about them.

Our current executive and legislative branches are doing a pretty crappy job of governing considering the power they should be able to wield. Blaming former administrations just makes them look petty and even weaker than they already look.

It makes you wonder why the media never brought it to large attention. It was reported on, sparingly, so clearly people knew about it. It seems to point towards a large bias towards/against certain people. Then you get people blaming all of it on Trump, even showing photos from 2014. Which yeah, we should blame Trump for a lot of this...but making it seem like he’s the only reason for it, that’s just not progressing things. It’s why the left lost. Y’all still can’t figure it out.

Do her clothes need to be vetted by the entire WH staff? I assumed she saw the jacket, said "cute!", bought it, then wore it.

It makes you wonder why the media never brought it to large attention. It was reported on, sparingly, so clearly people knew about it. It seems to point towards a large bias towards/against certain people. Then you get people blaming all of it on Trump, even showing photos from 2014. Which yeah, we should blame Trump for a lot of this...but making it seem like he’s the only reason for it, that’s just not progressing things. It’s why the left lost. Y’all still can’t figure it out.

I suspect it hasn't been brought up in a major way before because the vast majority of us didn't really want to think about the issue on anything other than a surface level. It didn't personally impact us enough to concern ourselves with, and so it wasn't a hot enough political issue for the media to focus on. But mistreated children break through otherwise uncaring hearts. Every issue has its time eventually. It just takes something to emotionally move us enough.

Do her clothes need to be vetted by the entire WH staff? I assumed she saw the jacket, said "cute!", bought it, then wore it.

But a lot of people would have seen her, and someone should have pointed out the problem. She doesn't live in a bubble.

That’s a possibility. I believe it’s also possible that someone saw her wearing and thought it to be a bad idea.

I suspect it hasn't been brought up in a major way before because the vast majority of us didn't really want to think about the issue on anything other than a surface level. It didn't personally impact us enough to concern ourselves with, and so it wasn't a hot enough political issue for the media to focus on. But mistreated children break through otherwise uncaring hearts. Every issue has its time eventually. It just takes something to emotionally move us enough.

Bogus. And you know it.

It doesn’t take 4 years to start caring about kids in cages. You know it, I know it, we all know it. Quit bullshitting yourself.

I guarantee you things like this are vetted. Probably not by the entire white house staff of course, but the First Lady has her own retinue of aides. I'm not even a public figure and I would consider how the words on my clothing appear to those around me.

I don't think she did it to undercut the policy or anything like that though. I think it's far more likely it was meant to cause a furor, and give Trumpers another reason think the media is against them.

I guarantee you things like this are vetted. Probably not by the entire white house staff of course, but the First Lady has her own retinue of aides. I'm not even a public figure and I would consider how the words on my clothing appear to those around me.

I don't think she did it to undercut the policy or anything like that though. I think it's far more likely it was meant to cause a furor, and give Trumpers another reason think the media is against them.

But why would she do that? It's Melania Trump, not Anne Coulter. It would be the first time she has done anything remotely ideological. Weird that'd she'd choose to start her career as a provocateur by rubbing it in the faces of the kids and families she publicly supported.