What's new

Trump's Coup Attempt

@Red see this? Can democracy survive when 30-40 percent of the electorate views authoritarianism as being more attractive than democracy?
I do not know. I have wondered, since I believe conservatives and liberals respond to the world at large in fundamentally different ways, if favoring authoritarianism is more prevalent among conservatives. I also believe we might help ourselves if we simply recognize part of our problems, maybe particularly in the culture wars, is due to differences in how we respond to the world at large. Let’s get to know what makes us different better, and we might fight less.

But, and anyway, it’s a global thing in Western democracies:

Abstract​

Recent events have raised concern about potential threats to democracy within Western countries. If Western citizens who are open to authoritarian governance share a common set of political preferences, then authoritarian elites can attract mass coalitions that are willing to subvert democracy to achieve shared ideological goals. With this in mind, we explored which ideological groups are most open to authoritarian governance within Western general publics using World Values Survey data from fourteen Western democracies and three recent Latin American Public Opinion Project samples from Canada and the United States. Two key findings emerged. First, cultural conservatism was consistently associated with openness to authoritarian governance. Second, within half of the democracies studied, including all of the English-speaking ones, Western citizens holding a protection-based attitude package—combining cultural conservatism with left economic attitudes—were the most open to authoritarian governance. Within other countries, protection-based and consistently right-wing attitude packages were associated with similarly high levels of openness to authoritarian governance. We discuss implications for radical right populism and the possibility of splitting potentially undemocratic mass coalitions along economic lines.

“Nearly half of Republicans say they would prefer “strong, unelected leaders” over “weak elected ones,” according to a September Axios-Ipsos poll, and around 55 percent of Republicans say defending the “traditional” way of life by force may soon become necessary. About 61 percent of Republicans don’t believe the results of the 2020 presidential election.”.

“To call a party democratic—committed to democracy—they’ve got to do three basic things: They have to unambiguously accept election results, they have to unambiguously renounce violence, and they have to consistently and unambiguously break with extremists or antidemocratic forces,” says Steve Levitsky, a professor of government at Harvard University. “I think the Republican Party now fails these three basic tests.”

And, in a word, THIS!!:

““The problem is our incentives—the Electoral College, the Supreme Court, the fact that sparsely populated territories are dramatically overrepresented in our electoral system—allows the Republicans to wield a lot of power without winning national majorities,” Levitsky says. “If the Republican Party actually had to win over 50 percent of the national vote to control the Senate, to control the presidency, to control the Supreme Court, you would not see them behaving the way they’re behaving. They would never win.”

Last edited:
This is a bit of a read but it’s definitely worth it. It’s a warning to us normal people who want to preserve our democracy. There are too many similarities to ignore, a complacent moderate right too obsessed with preserving their own power and hating their enemies that they think they can control the psychopath they empowered. A far left that thinks the right placing a psychopath in power will after a moment of authoritarianism and chaos, benefit them. And a moderate left that thinks laws and process will constrain the psychopath. They were all wrong and empowering a psychopath can lead to just disastrous outcomes.

I get that some here might like conservative judges and tax cuts, but is that really worth putting Trump back into power?

It’s an endless grift of the rubes. She wouldn’t be pretending she was a redneck if she didn’t think it would sell. No one has more contempt for the rubes of rural America than Trump and his family.

View: https://youtu.be/KQML0_YASCI?feature=shared

Except for the people that insist on categorizing them as "rubes". At least the Trumps pretend they are real people and don't just dismiss them. That's part of why he gets their vote.

Just a reminder on how insane The Big Lie has become:

View attachment 16201
So when people on here whine about how they and their fellow trumpers “feel” like they can’t trust election results, it’s either because:

1. They’re trolling.
2. They’re dumber than rocks and don’t know what they’re talking about.
Also people forget that trump won close states in 2020 as well. Why aren't they being included in these discussions and concerns?

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

Also people forget that trump won close states in 2020 as well. Why aren't they being included in these discussions and concerns?

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk
No no no, those are the states that got it right. Obviously only states Trump lost had any fraud. Rampant fraud. The most fraud in history. But the state right next door, that he won by the same thin margin, had no fraud at all. None. Not a single questionable ballot. All good!

Do any of the “good” conservatives on this site wanna weigh in on this? I mean, you demand to be treated with respect and not labeled cultists, fascists, or Trump enablers. So here’s your chance!

What do you think of Trump describing immigrants as “animals?” Will you vote for Biden instead? Or do taxes and conservative judges justify this?

Imagine the outrage if Biden, Clinton, or Obama described rural whites as animals. Or vermin. Or accused them of poisoning the nation’s blood. Seems kinda fascist, right?

View: https://x.com/sykescharlie/status/1775243660646404185?s=46

Do any of the “good” conservatives on this site wanna weigh in on this? I mean, you demand to be treated with respect and not labeled cultists, fascists, or Trump enablers. So here’s your chance!

What do you think of Trump describing immigrants as “animals?” Will you vote for Biden instead? Or do taxes and conservative judges justify this?

Imagine the outrage if Biden, Clinton, or Obama described rural whites as animals. Or vermin. Or accused them of poisoning the nation’s blood. Seems kinda fascist, right?

View: https://x.com/sykescharlie/status/1775243660646404185?s=46

Since the man is always projecting, I guess we should expect him to cancel elections in 2028, if he wins in 2024. I think that’s how you translate Trump Speak.

View: https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1775246126364422496

Since the man is always projecting, I guess we should expect him to cancel elections in 2028, if he wins in 2024. I think that’s how you translate Trump Speak.

View: https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1775246126364422496

The Rapist's Gestapo force doesn't even need to hide the fact that they're doing something they should be fired from the force for. This **** is so wrong.

"Many sheriffs from southwest Michigan flanked the former president when he gave public remarks Tuesday afternoon, including Berrien County Sheriff Charles Heit, Allegan County Sheriff Frank Baker and Van Buren County Sheriff Daniel Abbott.

Trump invited two West Michigan sheriffs to touch on crime in their communities.

"I ran some numbers yesterday from our jail facility. 40 percent of our inmates in our jail in Van Buren County Jail have out-of-county residency. Out of the 40 percent that do not live in our county that we're feeding every day, 10 percent of those have addresses in Mexico or Guatemala," Van Buren County Sheriff Daniel Abbott said. "The open southern border is the heart of lawlessness and crime you're witnessing, make no bones about it. We need leadership at the national level that is willing to solve this crisis."

According to the Van Buren County inmate roster on April 2, 2024, the jail is currently housing 153 inmates. Using Sheriff Abbott' percentages he shared about his inmate population, that would mean 6 of those 153 incarcerated people were from either Mexico or Guatemala. Abbott also did not share the immigration status of those inmates.

Sheriff Abbott said narcotics causing overdoses continue to plague the community, and he says there's a direct connection between U.S. border policy and the amount of illegal drugs that are funneled to southwest Michigan. "

"While crime statistics lag, the most recent data shows the number of murders in Michigan fell during Biden's first two years of office after peaking at 760 in 2020, the final year of Trump's tenure that was marked by COVID-19.

Most research indicates immigrants are less likely to commit crimes than native residents, regardless of their legal status, according to a 2019 study by the Center for Growth and Opportunity at Utah State University.

A February study by the libertarian Cato Institute also found that people who are in the country illegally have lower conviction rates for homicide than native-born residents."

"Former President Trump received an endorsement from the Police Officers Association of Michigan during his visit to Grand Rapids on Tuesday, where he addressed law enforcement members.

"We were proud and proud to do it. We were there in 2020. And I'll tell you, we're here in 2024," said Jim Tignanelli, president of the Police Officers Association of Michigan. "And today, on behalf of 12,000 law enforcement people that the Police Officers Association of Michigan represent, we want you to accept our endorsement for president of the United States."

How Steve Bannon guided MAGA’s rebound from January 6th.

‘Finish What We Started: The MAGA Movement’s Ground War to End Democracy’​

This is an excerpt from “Finish What We Started,” by Isaac Arnsdorf, which will publish next Tuesday, April 9.
The author will be discussing this book during a Washington Post Live event on April 9 at 11 a.m.
Wow. They’re not even attempting to hide their desire to overthrow our democracy.

“But I guess eggs were sort of expensive since for a few months and Biden is old, guess that means I should vote for the guy who wants to destroy American democracy.” /s

• Sad
Reactions: Red
Wow. They’re not even attempting to hide their desire to overthrow our democracy.

“But I guess eggs were sort of expensive since for a few months and Biden is old, guess that means I should vote for the guy who wants to destroy American democracy.” /s
My egg spending went from like $0.50 a month to like $0.65 a month, since I don't even buy 12 eggs every month. So yeah, I'm pissed and if this is the best our democracy (aka constitutional republic) can do than I'm done with it! Bring on dictatorship led by Putin's bitches.