What's new

Twitter Space Convo

I'd trade everyone on the team but Lauri, Walker, the 3 rookies, and 'MAYBE' Collins.... Although, trading takes time, I WOULD make these changes immediately: bring the 2 rookies back up and start giving them time. I'd bench and/or reduce the playing time of players that just sucked all year long and give the development to the rookies.
I would trade everyone but the three rookies

I have sorely disappointed in Agbaji. I think he plays good defense but his offense has struggled so much. If he can't hit his shot he can't play. That means a lot less defense gets out there.

I would trade anyone on the team for the right price.

Keyonte is the closest to untouchable.

I hate to say it I would trade Lauri but it would be a pretty hefty price. Something like 3 unprotected first and a young player.

There has got to be a contending team drooling to get their hands on Clarkson. Milwaukee makes a ton of sense, Lakers also.

I have sorely disappointed in Agbaji. I think he plays good defense but his offense has struggled so much. If he can't hit his shot he can't play. That means a lot less defense gets out there.

I would trade anyone on the team for the right price.

Keyonte is the closest to untouchable.

I hate to say it I would trade Lauri but it would be a pretty hefty price. Something like 3 unprotected first and a young player.

There has got to be a contending team drooling to get their hands on Clarkson. Milwaukee makes a ton of sense, Lakers also.
If I was Lauri there is no way I'd want to resign as things stand. I really hope Clarkson, THT and Sexton get moved. The Jazz should focus on team playmaking on both ends and dumping inefficient players.

What is on the floor now is awful to watch. Selfish play and lots of turnovers.

I liked watching the relatively low talent Jazz teams in l 03 and 04(think they won around 26 and 41 games those years) but they played together, and ran good sets. Even losing was enjoyable to watch.

This team should run a lot of off ball screens to get Lauri open, and get the ball out of Clarkson's hands until the shot clock is low and nothing has developed on the possession.

Also, poor team defensive habits are contagious. They need to figure things out quickly.

Reading between the lines here but:

Dec 15th - Trade Deadline expect major changes

Hendricks needs an opportunity before then so we can see what we have but he probably won't get a big opportunity until after the trade deadline.

MAN did we suck at tanking last year. Bugger.

If I was Lauri there is no way I'd want to resign as things stand. I really hope Clarkson, THT and Sexton get moved. The Jazz should focus on team playmaking on both ends and dumping inefficient players.

I liked watching the relatively low talent Jazz teams in l 03 and 04(think they won around 26 and 41 games those years) but they played together, and ran good sets. Even losing was enjoyable to watch.

This team should run a lot of off ball screens to get Lauri open, and get the ball out of Clarkson's hands until the shot clock is low and nothing has developed on the possession.

Also, poor team defensive habits are contagious. They need to figure things out quickly.
I think Lauri re-signs because we are the only team that can pay him a year earlier. And we can give him all teh monies and then some.

If the mega offer comes from OKC then I may trade him but next year we will have full visibility into his thinking this summer… we can move him then if we must.

A bit off topic, but David Locke is constantly bringing up how disconnected the team is personally. He mentions how no one on the team has a natural person to hang with. Says it's a team of introverts who don't necessarily connect with each other.
Welcome to 2023. I am surprised this even needs to be said. This is where I start with society and work backwards.

Why would that matter to him?
Because he hasn't gotten his big bag yet. He was on a rookie deal and his current 2nd contract is only paying him $17 mil this season.

Excluding rookie contract guys he's one of the most underpaid players in the league.

Seems like there were other teams looking seriously at Hardy and Ainge had to offer a generous contract to get him
This would be a disaster on all sides if they fired him
What the hell are you responding to? I feel like you may be hallucinating.

Lauri makes the most money signing here. So... if you are Lauri you are saying you don't want to maximize your returns in exchange for spiting Utah? Besides, as argued by others, signing an extension makes him arguably MORE tradeable because the value is set.

Whether Lauri wants to stay in Utah longterm or not? Well... he very likely may not. But he will not negotiate from a bad position imho.

Lauri makes the most money signing here. So... if you are Lauri you are saying you don't want to maximize your returns in exchange for spiting Utah? Besides, as argued by others, signing an extension makes him arguably MORE tradeable because the value is set.

Whether Lauri wants to stay in Utah longterm or not? Well... he very likely may not. But he will not negotiate from a bad position imho.
This will be one of those situations that a player signs their contract and gets traded shortly there after. Well, atleast, that is what I think.

Because he hasn't gotten his big bag yet. He was on a rookie deal and his current 2nd contract is only paying him $17 mil this season.

Excluding rookie contract guys he's one of the most underpaid players in the league.
And getting that big bag a year early would only matter in case of a career-ending injury or a major injury from which he wouldn't recover to be a max player again. That might be a major thing for someone who hasn't made his bag at all (career earnings <$10M or something).

Lauri's career earnings are $70M so far.

Some NBA players buy their mommas $5M mansions, have 12 cars, their wives have an expensive jewelry habit and they roll everywhere with an entourage 6 deep. Then, sure, you need to keep that money going. However, Lauri's most expensive hobby is disc golf, his parents live in his childhood home, his personal trainer is a dude that has a 200 sq ft gym in a basement and his wife cares about the environment and sustainability, not diamonds. The dude already has more money than he will ever spend.

Getting the max still matters of course. It's how these guys compete and measure each other. It's a sign of respect. And it gives you status. If you're a max player, then you get treated as a max player & star - by the media, by your team, by the fans.

But in terms of Lauri's priorities for his next contract, getting it a year early probably doesn't make the top10.

Plus with the salary cap going up every year, signing something a year early might not even be a good deal in terms of career earnings - depending on his career progress and the contract that comes after the next one.