What's new

"two blunts before every game"

Gas, would you prefer the doctor take care of their chronic pain before surgery by using some heroin? Because opioid-based pain medicine is heroin.

Do you think Klay, Steph, etc. sit around doing heroin? There's a really great chance MOST professional athletes have had a pain medicine prescription in their career and have used them before, during and after games.

Marijuana affects different people differently, as far as dopiness a goes. Me, if I smoke pot, I'm a dope. Not the same person at all, I function a few levels lower than normal. Because I realize I'm slower than normal I get really self-concious, get anxiety and don't want to be around other people. So for me, I would never smoke pot in a social setting or before I had to do anything remotely important. But my wife is not like that at all. I'm not saying she's her "best self" on pot, but the effects are not the same as they are for me at all.

So I don't smoke pot. It's not fun for me, it doesn't "help" me with anything at all. But if I had to choose between pot and opioids for pain, I'm choosing pot all day every day. Opioids are bad. They're highly addictive and they have ruined millions of lives, often people who just had some injury or some pain and their doctor prescribed them opioids and then before they even knew wtf was going on they were essentially addicted to heroin.

You're looking at pot like a party drug, but the fact is that many people don't use it like that. It can be used like that, just like opioids, or meth, or cocaine, or alcohol. But not everyone is hot boxing and watching Cheech and Chong when they smoke pot. And in places where pot is legal, smoking it becomes less and less the way people do it.

Im not sure why opioids have been brought up in this conversation.

Im also not sure why the topic of weed being a pain reliever is even relevant either. Im pretty sure NBA players arent in constant agonizing pain. In fact excercise feels good. This is about how good of a basketball player you are if choose to smoke weed vs not. I dont believe the best basketball players like Steph, Durant, and Lebron are using.

With all the social justice warrior action on this forum Im suprised to see some of the same people claiming the NBA is saturated with weed smokers. Seems like its a racist stereotype of black people, who make up the majority of the league.

With all the social justice warrior action on this forum Im suprised to see some of the same people claiming the NBA is saturated with weed smokers. Seems like its a racist stereotype of black people, who make up the majority of the league.
Silly *** **** right here...

Oh I get it now, you're just a moron.
Fine, you win bro.

Steph Curry smokes the weed for his sore ankles. The whole Warriors team hotboxes the locker room before the game.

Lebron gets hella lit before he goes off for 45 in a game 7

Harden ate some pot brownies at half time last night.

There, we agree now.

Lol. I bet more white people smoke than black people.

Im not sure why opioids have been brought up in this conversation.
Cause you wrote “And no, weed doesnt kill the pain as well as people claim it does. So it wouldnt be worth it.”
Im also not sure why the topic of weed being a pain reliever is even relevant either. Im pretty sure NBA players arent in constant agonizing pain.
It isn’t only people who are in constant agonizing pain who don’t want to be in pain. I recently had kidney stones and the pain pills I was prescribed were dangerous nasty drugs that helped the pain no doubt but I actually vaped some pot and it did wonders for my pain (I don’t normally use marijuana btw)

In fact excercise feels good.
Athletes get injured sometimes.
This is about how good of a basketball player you are if choose to smoke weed vs not. I dont believe the best basketball players like Steph, Durant, and Lebron are using.
If they use marijuana in their off time occasionally, whether for fun or pain or to help them sleep or for anxiety or whatever, then it would have little to no effect at all on how good they are at basketball.

I dony have any problem with weed and I think it should be legal, but....

Do you think Lebron, Harden, CP3, Steph, or Klay smoke weed? I seriously doubt it. I think you are kidding yourself if you believe you are the best version of yourself on it. You want to be at your best? You are better off not doing it. Certainly dont do it before a game or during the season.

Klay sure does, he was arrested in college for it: https://www.seattletimes.com/sports...n-arrested-charged-with-marijuana-possession/

And Durant posted this on Twitter after a playoffs loss before quickly deleting it:
KDH11014.jpg

Not sure about Lebron, Harden or CP3... But Durant and Klay are definitely partakers of the sticky icky.

Fine, you win bro.

Steph Curry smokes the weed for his sore ankles. The whole Warriors team hotboxes the locker room before the game.

Lebron gets hella lit before he goes off for 45 in a game 7

Harden ate some pot brownies at half time last night.

There, we agree now.
I think you are misunderstanding the big difference between the first one you listed and the others. I dont think anyone thinks very many players if any smoke just before a game or during a game.

After a game to come down from an adrenaline rush and get some sleep before the game the next day? Yes, some do. Do the ones you listed? I have no idea but I know plenty of athletes do who are high level athletes.

Do players use it for pain? Yes, that one is fairly common. Especially chronic pain that many athletes deal with.

https://www.webmd.com/pain-management/news/20100830/marijuana-relieves-chronic-pain-research-show#1

That is one of many studies showing the pain relief and sleep help due to pain.

Im pretty sure NBA players arent in constant agonizing pain. In fact excercise feels good.

Playing in the NBA is not "exercise." It can get you into shape but that is not the same as exercising. You run a very high risk of being injured which is not what exercise should be doing and is in fact could be argued the opposite of increasing your fitness and health. NBA players do exercise off the court regularly and rarely get hurt doing that. Most players are injured during the season even if they play though it. Most NBA players have many nagging pains. Have you seen players post game routines and how much they get their injuries dealt with?

Using marijuana in a responsible way will have no effect or a positive effect on most NBA players. It is not responsible to do it just before the game starts or during the game. Just like an NBA player who drinks now and then would never think of getting drunk in the middle of a game. Yes, some of the highest level athletes have used it. Just like some of the highest level athletes drink alcohol which I think we can all agree has a bigger negative effect. I am very doubtful that any current really high level players smokes or drinks just before or during a game though. Although some in the past have done both.

It's actually pretty even.

That is one of the easy things to point to in USA as a reason that racism is alive and well. White and black people use marijuana at about the same levels but black people get arrested and prosecuted for it at almost 4X the amount.

Many people struggle with this fact but white people use drugs just as much as black people.

Do you think Lebron, Harden, CP3, Steph, or Klay smoke weed? I seriously doubt it. I think you are kidding yourself if you believe you are the best version of yourself on it. You want to be at your best? You are better off not doing it. Certainly dont do it before a game or during the season.

I think that it is more like 98% don't smoke. They are tested for it and fined heavily. Kenyon Martin was probably high when he said that, and I wouldn't take anything he says and apply context to it. He was nothing more than an NBA memory that faded and he was and therefore never will be known as a great basketball player. I'm not against weed, I voted to legalize it in Nevada, even though I don't smoke myself. But people and that doesn't exclude basketball players abuse it and that's when it becomes a damaging thing. No NBA GREAT is going to say that they used it consistently, because I firmly believe most NBA players don't. We would here much more about it with the random drug testing that they do.

Do I think Thompson smokes weed? Yes. Yes, I do. His teammates call him big smokey and he's been arrested for it.

Dude...