What's new

U of U, Kuzma, Kentucky and others named in corruption scandal

The NCAA is so flawed. It can't be run like a business because some schools simply cannot afford to pay their players. If there was a pay system, the have and have nots will be so apparent. And if the pay scale is the same (lets just say minimum wage per hour), rich schools and donors will still compensate on the side. Its a lose lose scenario regardless.

The NBA needs to scrap the one year BS. That will help, but payments will happen regardless.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Or they could develop the G-league(and a 22 and younger league?) to compete with the NCAA for talent.

18 year olds should go to the NBA if they think they are ready. If they aren't, GLeague.... The one and done garbage is bad for college and these kids.

I know through a friend’s friend that UK paid Eric Bledsoe too fwiw. Not that it’s a surprise. Most of us know this stuff is rampant, even at my beloved Sparty program, which I’ve now soured on. Even if the NCAA is a garbage body.

Hopefully Donovan is completely clean. I have a feeling he is, but i've learned not to assume anything. I want so badly for Mitchell to be a poster boy for the Jazz and the NBA. I actually gave my daughter permission to have a crush on him if she wants. She shocked me by saying she already has one on a boy in her class. She's 12...and just last Fall, before school began, had the boys are 'yucky' attitude (which I highly encouraged).

I will never fault a kid for taking money, especially when the schools and coaches are making millions off their backs.

If he took money, it does nothing to change my perception of him. If anything, I'd empathize with him more and be even more impressed with how far he's come.

I hope more players go straigth to Europe where they can earn some money and play against better competition.

I know through a friend’s friend that UK paid Eric Bledsoe too fwiw. Not that it’s a surprise. Most of us know this stuff is rampant, even at my beloved Sparty program, which I’ve now soured on. Even if the NCAA is a garbage body.

Been going on for years, my neighbour played in the women's league here, one of her friends played on a bunch of our national junior teams, she got paid to play college ball in the US.

They should just allow the players to be paid by the agents/shoe companies and not worry about paying the players themselves. They don't have to worry about paying non revenue sports this way. Let the players earn money off of their name, licensing with agents and companies that want them to attach their name to their company. This way a lot of the players will get money and the schools don't have to actually pay them. Amateur status in college athletics is a joke in Football and Basketball anyway. The players should have the right to go out and earn money for what they do, the school doesn't pay business majors, why should they pay athletes. But the business major's earn money in their field in a lot of cases.

I have no problem with the players accepting money, I have no problem with the agents paying them. My problem is with the rules the NCAA established not allowing these players to earn money, that should be none of the NCAA's business. Unless it interfere's with the actual game (point shaving and other game related stuff). Then I blame the players and they should be arrested.

In before:
BUT THEY GET A COLLEGE EDUCATION. (They are largely coddled through the system--watch a season of Last Chance U to see how rigorous the academics are for them)
THEY GET FREE GEAR AND TRAVEL AND MEDICAL CARE. (Those jackets and backpacks and sneakers are a pittance compared to the income that they bring in)
IT'S LIKE AN INTERNSHIP/AUDITION FOR A PROFESSIONAL JOB. (If you started a business while getting your undergraduate degree in business and earned money, the school would be so psyched and use you as an example. If the NCAA standard was applied you would be kicked out of the program and your grades vacated)
Also, access to state of the art facilities, coaching, and marketing. It's expensive to run a university athletic program. There are maybe 25 programs in the country that make money. I get the arguments for both sides, but paying college athletes would doom schools not in a P5 conference. And don't give me "they're largely coddled " stuff. The vast majority of college athletes take their education seriously. They're not all super stars heading for the NBA or NFL.

If the ncaa model is so bad, let the players and agents start their own league. Let them find out what the public will pay to watch them play.

Meanwhile everyone can stop pretending about academics abd tax payers and students can stop subsidizing athletes.

And prosecute the heck out of everyone involved.

Asking that these players be given housing, a food stipend, and a huge cut of their own jersey sales is asking almost nothing and would mean everything to some of these athletes that would otherwise struggle to meet basic needs. It's preposterous.

To put $10,000 in perspective:

That's less than the absurdly-low poverty line in this country that was calculated decades ago. I consider myself lucky to have made ~$13k and had my tuition covered by grants, but still had to take on debt after sleeping in my car/couch surfing for 6 months, have spent $300 per month in rent since, and don't spend any money I don't have to.

Our system is a ****ing outrage. Taxpayers should not be subsidizing for-profit athletic programs, all for the schools to keep jacking tuition at a jaw-dropping rate. And the people's backs who make this sport watchable are condemned for being paid $10k. It's a disgrace.

I have worked in higher education for 12 years. It is incredibly flawed. Major issues:

1 - half the people who go to college never should. They should be in a trade (plumber, electrician, etc.) or something service oriented (waiter, retail, etc.).

2 - faculty have too much power. Almost all should teach their subnect and that's it. Faculty, however, feel like they are experts at everything and it cripples the system internally.

3 - they dont know how to run like a business. Many private institutions have and will eventually fail.

To put $10,000 in perspective:

That's less than the absurdly-low poverty line in this country that was calculated decades ago. I consider myself lucky to have made ~$13k and had my tuition covered by grants, but still had to take on debt after sleeping in my car/couch surfing for 6 months, have spent $300 per month in rent since, and don't spend any money I don't have to.

Our system is a ****ing outrage. Taxpayers should not be subsidizing for-profit athletic programs, all for the schools to keep jacking tuition at a jaw-dropping rate. And the people's backs who make this sport watchable are condemned for being paid $10k. It's a disgrace.

You only spend $300 a month on rent?

You only spend $300 a month on rent?
Yep. I understand how good of a situation it is and I would either be living in my car or my parents otherwise because, again, I don't really have money.

So this idea that we should be outraged that an NBA-talent made less than $10k to play four years for a program is stupefying.

and listen, y'all can hate me, my posts, my opinions, everything.. On this particular subject I am spectacularly and undeniably on point, I can get up on the soapbox and do the "Mr Smith goes to Washington" routine without preparing anything written....

You’re pretty self congratulatory considering literally EVERY person on the planet that even mildly follows college athletics knows how rampant the corruption is. But congrats I guess?

Yep. I understand how good of a situation it is and I would either be living in my car or my parents otherwise because, again, I don't really have money.

So this idea that we should be outraged that an NBA-talent made less than $10k to play four years for a program is stupefying.

Man. How old are you? What was your major? Are you working full-time? None of my business, I know. I'm just curious I guess.

I too had $300 rent for a few years out of college. Four of us rented a house from a dude. Total rent was just $1,200 a month.

Man. How old are you? What was your major? Are you working full-time? None of my business, I know. I'm just curious I guess.

I too had $300 rent for a few years out of college. Four of us rented a house from a dude. Total rent was just $1,200 a month.

From the time I was 19 until I was 33 I think the most I paid in rent was 450 and I usually paid less. Probably averaged about 300 per month over that 14 year span.

Lots of the places I lived were **** holes and often I was splitting rent with numerous people. (I used to track all the places I lived and all the different people I lived with. Can’t remember exact numbers anymore but ballpark numbers...... probably about 25 different places and 35 different roommates)