What's new

Use Hayward to trade up or for another pick

Most everyone has been talking about using Burks or Kanter in trade up scenarios, or if not up, then to get another high 1st rounder. But I think it would better to use Hayward. For one, we know what we have in Hayward. He got the playing time and opportunities to show what he has and will probably be -- at best, a third option on a championship team and surely not a go-to guy on any time. However, we really don't know what we have in Burks and Kanter because of the limited opportunities that Corbin gave them. Both have the potential to be second options on very good teams and first options on middle-of-the-pack teams. Hayward also is far more coveted around the league, so the Jazz would not have to give up so much if he is part of the deal.

The question remains who is going to take Parker if the Jazz don't and would they be interested in Hayward.

Well, it is just a thought. Others on the site seem to be more informed about the draft than me.

Hayward, like all pending free agents, cannot be included in draft-day trades. And contrary to what people are piecing together on Twitter, he also can’t be involve in any Sign & Trade discussions that take place on Draft Day because it’s illegal for the Jazz or any other team to negotiate with Hayward until July 1, long after the draft has fully congealed.

Most everyone has been talking about using Burks or Kanter in trade up scenarios, or if not up, then to get another high 1st rounder. But I think it would better to use Hayward. For one, we know what we have in Hayward. He got the playing time and opportunities to show what he has and will probably be -- at best, a third option on a championship team and surely not a go-to guy on any time. However, we really don't know what we have in Burks and Kanter because of the limited opportunities that Corbin gave them. Both have the potential to be second options on very good teams and first options on middle-of-the-pack teams. Hayward also is far more coveted around the league, so the Jazz would not have to give up so much if he is part of the deal.

The question remains who is going to take Parker if the Jazz don't and would they be interested in Hayward.

Well, it is just a thought. Others on the site seem to be more informed about the draft than me.

You can't use Hayward to move up he is a FA. Everyone under contract be traded before the draft but FA must wait until July 1st or 9th I can't remember.

What do you think we could get for Millsap? What if we packaged him with rush for another late first round pick? Which side says no?

I heard on espn if the jazz are willing to package Millsap and Harpring and the rights to Rusty LaRue, we could move into top 3. Not sure whether coach Nissalke would sign off on it though.

I'm not sure I'd give up that much. Sounds steep. Maybe if they think Ben Gordon won't be there at 5 then I'd say move up.

Oh lord.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess they couldn't do a wink-wink, after the draft? I do recall now that someone did mention that earlier that he couldn't be traded. Oh, well. I don't like the idea of trading Burks or Kanter now because we haven't given them enough of a chance to prove themselves. And for my money, I think Burks already has shown that he is going to be a very good player.

I guess they couldn't do a wink-wink, after the draft? I do recall now that someone did mention that earlier that he couldn't be traded. Oh, well. I don't like the idea of trading Burks or Kanter now because we haven't given them enough of a chance to prove themselves. And for my money, I think Burks already has shown that he is going to be a very good player.

Are you ****ing high? Someone start a "post your verified IQ thread". *i want to kick this thread in the ****ing face......*

Are you ****ing high? Someone start a "post your verified IQ thread". *i want to kick this thread in the ****ing face......*

Chill ... I forgot we couldn't trade Hayward. Just would rather than trade him out of any of our core guys. Who knows we might end up signing and trading him, depending on who we draft, and it might involve some draft picks. It is a possibility given all the other teams interested in him

Well, based upon previous drafts, the Jazz have what they need to trade up (without untradeable Hayward). In 2005, when the Jazz drafted Deron Williams #3 overall, they were too unlucky in that year's NBA Draft Lottery. They finished with the 4th worst record in the league (26-56), yet, got passed by TWO teams in the lottery to finish 6th. They also had the 27th pick that year. They used the 6th and 27th picks (along with a future pick I believe) to trade up the day of the draft to #3 to draft Williams. Well, based upon that year's results, the Jazz have an even better chance to trade up if they wish. This year, they have the #5 pick (1 pick higher than 2005's #6) and the #23 pick (4 picks higher than 2005's #27). Based upon their past, the #5 and #23 picks should be good enough to get the Jazz into the top 3, if not the top 2 picks in the draft, which would land them either Wiggins or Parker. Remember, Utah traded their two first round draft picks last year to get up to #9 so they could land Trey Burke. Dennis Lindsey has been aggressive on draft day. I expect the same this year.

Yeah it's just math. If 6+27=3, then obviously 5+23=2 or even 1. Everything else is obviously exactly the same. It's a no brainer and it proves the Jazz FO is stupid if they don't take advantage of this mathematical certainty.

The wink wink deals go down all the time. Why do you think so much infomation gets leaked? Somebody leaks info that Utah potentially wants to S&T Hayward instead of signing him out right. Completely legal. In a completely unrelated interview *wink wink* Hayward can comment on the teams he would or wouldn't be interested in or the type of contract he's looking for if he were to be S&T'ed. Also completely legal under the rules.

Basically the team that's interested in Hayward knows he'll sign with them and have a basic stucture of the deal it'll take. Sure Hayward could rock the boat, but why? He'll be going to a team he desires on a deal he wants and most likely for the extra year he can only get if Utah signs him out right or S&T's him. None of it is against the rules as no team has officially contacted Hayward or his agents. So once the free agency period opens up Utah can officially go to Gordon and say we have a S&T to send you to X team for Y contract(both of which is something you know he and his agents wants). Utah would just have to be clear that team X is ok with meeting Hayward's contract demands(as they already know they are Hayward's desired destination). Once that agreement is reached all party can proceed knowing that all parties involved are happy. Again none of this breaks any NBA rules.

Well, I guess I don't have to wonder about you anymore.