What's new
  • This community for NHL hockey in Utah will migrate from JazzFanz.com to a stand-alone location in the coming months. For now, lets talk hockey!

Utah Getting an NHL Team

Just saw this discussion on another sports forum. These are just posters making these posts and not articles or anything so take it for what its worth but I dont want to fund a new arena. If Ryan wants to pay for on himself then cool but I dont think billionaires should get welfare from tax payers to fund their hobbies:

Multiple economic studies have confirmed that municipal funding of stadiums and
Arenas is dumb.
Most studies show that it generally is just a transfer of wealth to the owners
Of the team , so basically taxpayers giving money to billionaires, and the economic benefits of a new team (new jobs, more spending on local surrounding restaurants, impact on property values, etc) don't come close to making up the cost.

Last edited:
Just saw this discussion on another sports forum. These are just posters making these posts and not articles or anything so take it for what its worth but I dont want to fund a new arena. If Ryan wants to pay for on himself then cool but I dont think billionaires should get welfare from tax payers to fund their hobbies:

Arenas is dumb.
Of the team , so basically taxpayers giving money to billionaires, and the economic benefits of a new team (new jobs, more spending on local surrounding restaurants, impact on property values, etc) don't come close to making up the cost.
I thought the new plan was to remodel the Delta Center to better accomodate hockey?

Arenas is dumb.
In the end this is exactly what will happen. Whether they get tax breaks to help remodel the Delta Center or tax money to open a new stadium or both, somehow Ryan will get plenty of the taxpayer's money. That's how our economy works: feed the rich.

I thought the new plan was to remodel the Delta Center to better accomodate hockey?
Maybe that is all that will happen. Maybe they build a new hockey arena. Maybe we get a baseball team and need a new baseball field.

Point is that when billionaires want a new building for the billionaires franchise then those who don't want to pay for it shouldn't have to. The billionaires should have to. The economic benefits of a new team (new jobs, more spending on local surrounding restaurants, impact on property values, etc) don't come close to making up the cost.

And in the end, if the billionaires pay for the arenas, they will still end up making money on their own investment. In that scenario everyone wins. The billionaires thrive and make money AND the people living in the city/state get economic benefits as well.

That is the way.

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Maybe that is all that will happen. Maybe they build a new hockey arena. Maybe we get a baseball team and need a new baseball field.

Point is that when billionaires want a new building for the billionaires franchise then those who don't want to pay for it shouldn't have to. The billionaires should have to. The economic benefits of a new team (new jobs, more spending on local surrounding restaurants, impact on property values, etc) don't come close to making up the cost.

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk
Part of the problem is the demand for pro sports teams is higher than the number of pro sports teams so they threaten to leave, or to not come, unless they get what they want. Until all U.S. cities agree to never give handouts to these franchises it is going to be a deciding factor in which cities get teams and which ones don't.

I mean the reason the Coyotes are leaving Phoenix is because they didn't have an acceptable arena and there was no prospect of one being built there in the next few years.

SEG took 28k deposits for season tickets in two days. They can only accommodate around 12k until 2027 when renovations are done. Doesn’t seem they’re worried, nor they should be, about local support.