What's new

Utah Jazz @ Portland Trail Blazers -- Sunday, Feb 11 7pm MST

Exum is 22, what if him and Mitchell just happen to go together like PB&J and grow awesome together? Is there a chance that the team already has all the players on the roster needed to compete down the road?

Full homer post, but **** it, 9 straight!
Yes. Yes there is.

I think the DM effect will be on full display with X. His confidence in RR may have contributed to Ricky finding his game. When Exum plays next to Donovan, he will either grow or fade away. I'm betting on him rising to his potential.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using JazzFanz mobile app

My thoughts on the game:

- Jae looked good. Nice to see him come in and immediately contribute in a meaningful way. A great way to get your foot in the door.
- Favors has zero lift. Every shot he took was flat/short. I think he may just be broken in an irreparable way.
- Jazz missed Rubio. Would have been really nice to have someone to handle that pressure at the end.
- Jazz keep feeding Gobert and it keeps resulting in turnovers. I think we lost 5-6 possessions that game trying senselessly to feed Gobert in traffic. I wonder if we will ever figure out how/where to get him the ball. Or simply stop forcing it.
- I thought I saw a lot of selfish plays from the Jazz. Mitchell calling his own number, Gobert calling his own number, Jae calling his own number. We won so it doesn't seem like a problem but I think we really need to keep teamwork a priority.
- Dame is stunningly talented. Love watching his individual ability.
- Ingles is ballin. Love it.
If i didn't watch the game and only read this post then i would think we lost by 15 or something.

I guess DM's 10 points, 1 rebound, and 1 assist in the last 4 minutes of the game -- when Portland was pushing for a win -- isn't handling the pressure?

It was the first eight minutes of the fourth that Rubio would have helped. For a rookie DM has played amazing, but needs to get a bit better at breaking double teams and holding onto his dribble. I know he will improve, but I don't see his strength as running the point, even though he does it pretty well. Even with DM's shot being off a bit that last couple weeks, he had another great performance overall. Or a quicker adjustment to stop screening off the top when the Blazers doubled. I'd love to see some sets with more off ball screens. Overall a great game. Very impressed with O'Neale's defense. Another solid performance playing to his strengths.

It was the first eight minutes of the fourth that Rubio would have helped. For a rookie DM has played amazing, but needs to get a bit better at breaking double teams and holding onto his dribble. I know he will improve, but I don't see his strength as running the point, even though he does it pretty well. Even with DM's shot being off a bit that last couple weeks, he had another great performance overall. Or a quicker adjustment to stop screening off the top when the Blazers doubled. I'd love to see some sets with more off ball screens. Overall a great game. Very impressed with O'Neale's defense. Another solid performance playing to his strengths.
I guess it's about expectations: I knew we would miss Rubio and I did not expect Mitchell to handle the point nearly as well as Rubio. But Ingles/Neto/Mitchell handled pg duties well enough to get us a win on Portland's home floor. I hope Rubio is back tonight against the Spurs.

My thoughts on the game:

- Jae looked good. Nice to see him come in and immediately contribute in a meaningful way. A great way to get your foot in the door.
- Favors has zero lift. Every shot he took was flat/short. I think he may just be broken in an irreparable way.
- Jazz missed Rubio. Would have been really nice to have someone to handle that pressure at the end.
- Jazz keep feeding Gobert and it keeps resulting in turnovers. I think we lost 5-6 possessions that game trying senselessly to feed Gobert in traffic. I wonder if we will ever figure out how/where to get him the ball. Or simply stop forcing it.
- I thought I saw a lot of selfish plays from the Jazz. Mitchell calling his own number, Gobert calling his own number, Jae calling his own number. We won so it doesn't seem like a problem but I think we really need to keep teamwork a priority.
- Dame is stunningly talented. Love watching his individual ability.
- Ingles is ballin. Love it.

I think this is a fair critique. The selfish plays were there, but they seemed to be mistakes that were still within Snyder’s scheme.

The defense, anchored by Gobert, was so good that it didn’t matter. And you could see that fact on the faces of Portland’s players. They were utterly frustrated and disgusted with their inability to dig themselves out of the hole the Jazz put them in.

I think this is a fair critique. The selfish plays were there, but they seemed to be mistakes that were still within Snyder’s scheme.

The defense, anchored by Gobert, was so good that it didn’t matter. And you could see that fact on the faces of Portland’s players. They were utterly frustrated and disgusted with their inability to dig themselves out of the hole the Jazz put them in.

Well I disagreed with his thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is tasty

Tell me if I'm way off base, but he reminds me of dreymond Green everytime I watch him play, only that he's more of a wing then a 4

He’s doing all the things I wanted Hood to do when his shot wasn’t falling. I love how Royce is impacting the game without having to shoot a lot. He’s turning out to be a glue guy the same way Ingles is. He makes his teammates better. I often felt like Hood looked for his own shot too much and didn’t make the extra pass. Maybe Royce is Draymond lite? I’d take that any day of the week.

I guess it's about expectations: I knew we would miss Rubio and I did not expect Mitchell to handle the point nearly as well as Rubio. But Ingles/Neto/Mitchell handled pg duties well enough to get us a win on Portland's home floor. I hope Rubio is back tonight against the Spurs.

True, but I still see not having an experienced floor general (or a more developed DM at PG potentially) as a big issue/stop gap. If Utah did not have the huge third quarter, the issues the team had the first 2/3 of the fourth could cost a win. It also took a frustratingly long time for QS to adjust the offense to stop screening at the top after we were struggling. The first two quarters were not great offensively either. I do agree that Quin's offense has less emphasis or need for a PG, but as much as that is a strength, it can also be a weakness.

When we play a team comprised of players made to switch picks (which almost every team in the modern NBA is striving to do), it hampers our offense a lot. I'd love to have a few additional sets with lots of off ball screens that make the opposing team work more. The teams sets work by exploiting mismatches, and taking advantages of defensive help/sagging to get open shots. The downside to this is outside of the on ball screens, the defenders largely get a break on defense. I loved the teams old sets (like the UCLA offense) that had a ton of back cuts and screens. If a defender rested for a second we got a layup, and I feel like we have the players to take advantage of these plays. Having an experienced floor general helps to mitigate some of the predictability of the current Jazz offense. So while the offense may not emphasize the talents of a PG, the need is definitely still there, especially as opponents adjust to our sets. This will be even more apparent in a seven game series, which is where my expectations for this team are focused.

Jazz keep feeding Gobert and it keeps resulting in turnovers. I think we lost 5-6 possessions that game trying senselessly to feed Gobert in traffic. I wonder if we will ever figure out how/where to get him the ball. Or simply stop forcing it.

Even when these plays break down, they still create situations for later. Defenses know they have to guard that play, they also start seeing it as a turnover opportunity. You can catch defenses sleeping that way. Rudy rolling to the basket draws defenders. You have to make it a credible threat in order for it to work.

Keep giving the ball to him. Even when it'd not working it keeps Rudy engaged. Plus Rudy is getting more comfortable with the ball ten feet and out. For this part of the Jazz's foundation to grow, his offensive game must expand. It looks like he's breaking out of his box.
This. Continue to challenge rudy on the offensive game. I have confidence that he will only improve.

I don't really agree. I think you try to incorporate what works and minimize what doesn't. Just blindly forcing a square peg into a round hole does'nt really sound like a recipe for success to me.

I don't really agree. I think you try to incorporate what works and minimize what doesn't. Just blindly forcing a square peg into a round hole does'nt really sound like a recipe for success to me.

I would agree with you if we weren't talking about a cornerstone of a franchise. Cornerstones are stones you build around, not stones that you fit into already set places. Rudy might be a square peg, but that means you also make the hole square. Of course Rudy`s development isn't the only priority of the team but a few wins now are not more important than getting him to be a legitimate offensive threat for the future.

I guess DM's 10 points, 1 rebound, and 1 assist in the last 4 minutes of the game -- when Portland was pushing for a win -- isn't handling the pressure?
I don’t think Portland were ever going to win.

Overall DM really needs to be more efficient.