What's new

Utah to the Pac 10? MWC to get BCS game?

SaltyDawg

So it looks like Utah is likely going to be joining the Pac 10. This would obviously be great for the Utes, but what does it do to the MWC?

It looks like Boise State will be joining the MWC, and the MWC receiving a BCS game because of it.

Would the MWC lose that BCS game if Utah went to the Pac 10?

What if the Big 12 gets pillaged during the Big 10 and Pac 10 expansions, and they have to take a few teams to get back up to 12? Do they take Boise State and TCU? I've seen rumors that Colorado State and even New Mexico might possibly get invites from the Big 12.

How do you see all of this playing out? What is the best case scenrario, likely scenario, etc?

I see Utah and Colorado going to the Pac 10, we pretty much know that much. What happens with the Big 12 depends on what the Big 10 does. It is looking like the Big 12 will almost certainly be looking to replace at least 2 or 3 teams though. I would have to say Boise State and TCU would be the most likely candidates.

You know the BCS wants to kill any momentum for a playoff too. So the perennial BCS buster candidates (Utah, Boise State, and TCU) will likely end up in BCS conferences. So if Utah leaves the MWC, Boise State and TCU probably won't be sticking around either.

Thoughts?

Out of curiosity, what kind of reaction do you think the zoobs should have?

"Yeah! Good for Utah, TCU and Boise State. We're so happy for them. They get to go play in a big boy conference and make millions of dollars. That is just precious. Meanwhile we get to keep beating the crap out the MWC. Yeah!!"

Out of curiosity, what kind of reaction do you think the zoobs should have?

"Yeah! Good for Utah, TCU and Boise State. We're so happy for them. They get to go play in a big boy conference and make millions of dollars. That is just precious. Meanwhile we get to keep beating the crap out the MWC. Yeah!!"
Honestly? I expected them to say "BYU will get into the Big 12 before TCU and Boise State" or something like that.

I personally think the whole thing is a bad idea regardless of what happens to BYU. I still like the idea of as many schools as can afford to field football teams doing so and being able to play for it all the end. I don't want to see 50 college football teams and that's it. It's bad for college football, it's bad for the NFL, it's bad for all the high school players out there that end up being overlooked.

But yeah, your omission is laughable. I don't care if you think they are going to be in a super conference or not, but you rattled off teams like Boise State and New Mexico without even mentioning them. Boise State has had trouble getting into the MWC. I think the "Super Conferences" are going to be so big that it's near impossible that anybody that has been good in the non-bcs conferences will get left out, but I still don't like it.

What is the supposed Utah announcement date? June 11th or something like that? So, at the very least, this topic should be a non-issue for another year very shortly.

I personally think the whole thing is a bad idea regardless of what happens to BYU. I still like the idea of as many schools as can afford to field football teams doing so and being able to play for it all the end. I don't want to see 50 college football teams and that's it. It's bad for college football, it's bad for the NFL, it's bad for all the high school players out there that end up being overlooked.

But yeah, your omission is laughable. I don't care if you think they are going to be in a super conference or not, but you rattled off teams like Boise State and New Mexico without even mentioning them. Boise State has had trouble getting into the MWC. I think the "Super Conferences" are going to be so big that it's near impossible that anybody that has been good in the non-bcs conferences will get left out, but I still don't like it.

What is the supposed Utah announcement date? June 11th or something like that? So, at the very least, this topic should be a non-issue for another year very shortly.

I think that June 11th data is something someone just pulled out of their rear end. I have seen it in tons of rumors too, but the Pac 10 has until the end of the year to make a decision, and even longer to make an announcement. Any changes will be for the 2012 season.

I agree with you though, a playoff that includes everyone is the way to go. But I still want Utah in the Pac 10 for the increased revenue.

Boise State, by the way, is only having trouble getting into the MWC because the MWC is not looking to add any teams. Remember, the whole reason the MWC was even formed was because the WAC had too many teams. But if the MWC was looking to add teams, Boise State would certainly be at the top of the list (as they are rumored to be joining next year anyway).

I am not saying BYU for sure will or won't get into the Big 12. But I have read a ton of rumors on various scenarios online, and BYU wasn't in any of them. New Mexico, Boise State, TCU, and Colorado State were all rumored to be going to the Big 12 under various scenarios. And of course, Utah and Colorado are rumored to be going to the Pac 10 under all scenarios.

If the Mountain West is stonewalling Boise for any reason, it's pretty stupid.

As for those other teams, unless the thinking is that they can raise the level of those programs simply by bringing them up to the power conferences, they would seem to be pretty weak choices. You would need new infrastructure, fan enticement, etc. All those conferences would end with is a couple of cellar dwellers in every sport. I don't think that's what they want. If the Big 10 poaches good teams from the SEC/Big 12 or whatever alignment ends up happening in the overall college football landscape, you can't counter with New Mexico or Colorado State.

I'm excited to see what happens.

I wish all of the non-BCS teams had formed their own damn playoff years ago and called it the national championship. That would stick it too the pieces of **** BCS schools for trying to be elitist. But because of them being to scared to do so Utah getting into the Pac-10 is an acceptable 2nd option.

So it looks like Utah is likely going to be joining the Pac 10. This would obviously be great for the Utes, but what does it do to the MWC?

It looks like Boise State will be joining the MWC, and the MWC receiving a BCS game because of it.

Would the MWC lose that BCS game if Utah went to the Pac 10?

What if the Big 12 gets pillaged during the Big 10 and Pac 10 expansions, and they have to take a few teams to get back up to 12? Do they take Boise State and TCU? I've seen rumors that Colorado State and even New Mexico might possibly get invites from the Big 12.

How do you see all of this playing out? What is the best case scenrario, likely scenario, etc?

I see Utah and Colorado going to the Pac 10, we pretty much know that much. What happens with the Big 12 depends on what the Big 10 does. It is looking like the Big 12 will almost certainly be looking to replace at least 2 or 3 teams though. I would have to say Boise State and TCU would be the most likely candidates.

You know the BCS wants to kill any momentum for a playoff too. So the perennial BCS buster candidates (Utah, Boise State, and TCU) will likely end up in BCS conferences. So if Utah leaves the MWC, Boise State and TCU probably won't be sticking around either.

Thoughts?

Salty, what makes you think Utah is going to the PAC 10. Yes, I've heard the rumors, but do you have anything besides rumors? Just curious. TIA

Salty, what makes you think Utah is going to the PAC 10. Yes, I've heard the rumors, but do you have anything besides rumors? Just curious. TIA

Well I don't know if you have seen any of the data with the financial figures, but i'm sure you know the Pac 10 is negotiating a new TV deal next year. They will also make a lot more money (around $12-$20 mil per year) if they expand and add a championship game. They have to expand in order to add the championship game (NCAA rules state 12 teams minimum for championship game).

The NCAA has already refused to make exceptions for other conferences adding a chamionship game with fewer than 12 teams, and the Pac 10 recently announced that they aren't even going to ask for an exception (at least not this year). So if they are already expanding, adding SLC and Denver TV markets (at .50 to .70 per household, per month, in fees from cable and satellite providers) also adds millions to their new TV contract. These are the the only 2 schools meeting the Pac 10 academic requirements that would even consider the move.

Add to that the fact that the Pac 10 would be much more likely to get a second, high paying, BCS game any given year if they had a championship game.

So it is very likely to happen.

All of that aside, Kyle Whittingham had a luncheon with boosters the other day. At one point, he was talking about it, and said something to the effect of, "I don't know anything more than any of you guys, but I fully expect a conference realignment, and I am positive Utah will be a part of that, either this year or next year."

So there are a lot of rumors, no question about that. But if you look at the actual situation, it's pretty much a given that the Pac 10 will expand. And if they choose to expand, Utah is the school that makes the most sense- even more than Colorado, because Colorado is already in a BCS conference. Colorado has shown an interest though, because of the uneven revenue sharing in the Big 12 (their assistant AD even put out a student poll showing the viast majority of them want to join the Pac 10).

I have no doubt it is going to happen. I don't think it will be on June 11th though. The Pac 10 has until the end of the year to make a decision, and I can't really see why they would make a commitment so early.

Well I don't know if you have seen any of the data with the financial figures, but i'm sure you know the Pac 10 is negotiating a new TV deal next year. They will also make a lot more money (around $12-$20 mil per year) if they expand and add a championship game. They have to expand in order to add the championship game (NCAA rules state 12 teams minimum for championship game).

The NCAA has already refused to make exceptions for other conferences adding a chamionship game with fewer than 12 teams, and the Pac 10 recently announced that they aren't even going to ask for an exception (at least not this year). So if they are already expanding, adding SLC and Denver TV markets (at .50 to .70 per household, per month, in fees from cable and satellite providers) also adds millions to their new TV contract. These are the the only 2 schools meeting the Pac 10 academic requirements that would even consider the move.

Add to that the fact that the Pac 10 would be much more likely to get a second, high paying, BCS game any given year if they had a championship game.

So it is very likely to happen.

All of that aside, Kyle Whittingham had a luncheon with boosters the other day. At one point, he was talking about it, and said something to the effect of, "I don't know anything more than any of you guys, but I fully expect a conference realignment, and I am positive Utah will be a part of that, either this year or next year."

So there are a lot of rumors, no question about that. But if you look at the actual situation, it's pretty much a given that the Pac 10 will expand. And if they choose to expand, Utah is the school that makes the most sense- even more than Colorado, because Colorado is already in a BCS conference. Colorado has shown an interest though, because of the uneven revenue sharing in the Big 12 (their assistant AD even put out a student poll showing the viast majority of them want to join the Pac 10).

I have no doubt it is going to happen. I don't think it will be on June 11th though. The Pac 10 has until the end of the year to make a decision, and I can't really see why they would make a commitment so early.

Thanks for the explanation. At least you concede the June 11 thing is likely ********.

Birgeneau said that expansion is a real possibility in the near future, and that the Pac-10 is seriously considering "a couple of schools, at least one of which meets the academic standards of the rest of the Pac-10."

So who is the 2nd school and why would they even be considering them if they don't "meet the academic standards of the rest of the Pac-10"?

I would love to watch Utah in the Pac-10. I always thought that Utah/BYU would be a better fit though... it kinda fits with the In-State rivals theme that the rest of the conference has.

A question: What the academic requirements that the Pac 10 has? Does it involve student admissions, or level of classes taught at the institution?

I am sticking with the same position I have had from the beginning; I will believe it when I see it. I think a lot of speculation has been mistaken for fact.

A question: What the academic requirements that the Pac 10 has? Does it involve student admissions, or level of classes taught at the institution?

The PAC-10 is a "research based" conference so the academic qualification is that any school which is part of the PAC-10 must be a research institution. Utah definitely qualifies.

I've seen it argued that this automatically discounts BYU but they are also research oriented. Just as much so as some of the schools already in the PAC-10 I'd be willing to bet. I don't buy this as a legitimate reason to count BYU out.

I think one of the biggest perceived sticking points is that BYU will not play on Sunday. Again, I don't find this insurmountable.

My guess is that it has more to do with BYU's religious affiliation and the PAC-10 not wanting to be part of any such thing. Think about it. If you're wanting to build your TV market which team brings more to the table in this regard? BYU and Utah already split the TV market in Utah but once you leave the state Utah loyalty drops drastically whereas BYU has somewhat of a national following because of the religious affiliation.

The PAC-10 is a "research based" conference so the academic qualification is that any school which is part of the PAC-10 must be a research institution. Utah definitely qualifies.

I've seen it argued that this automatically discounts BYU but they are also research oriented. Just as much so as some of the schools already in the PAC-10 I'd be willing to bet. I don't buy this as a legitimate reason to count BYU out.

I think one of the biggest perceived sticking points is that BYU will not play on Sunday. Again, I don't find this insurmountable.

My guess is that it has more to do with BYU's religious affiliation and the PAC-10 not wanting to be part of any such thing. Think about it. If you're wanting to build your TV market which team brings more to the table in this regard? BYU and Utah already split the TV market in Utah but once you leave the state Utah loyalty drops drastically whereas BYU has somewhat of a national following because of the religious affiliation.
BYU does not meet the qualification of "research institution" as defined by the Pac-10. I won't pretend to know too much about it but some committee has decided what makes for a research institution and what does not and BYU does not according to them and that is what the Pac-10 uses.

BYU does not meet the qualification of "research institution" as defined by the Pac-10. I won't pretend to know too much about it but some committee has decided what makes for a research institution and what does not and BYU does not according to them and that is what the Pac-10 uses.

part of it has to do with the number of PhD granted and the number of different programs offered, I'm not sure about the specifics however

this might help explain some of the differences
https://www.ehow.com/about_5401660_definition-tier-university.html