What's new

Utah Trade Deadline Discussion

My point is that the Jazz made a great trade in a tough market. Jae Crowder on a great contract > a late 1st in the 25-30 range btw.
The liquid asset of a 1st rounder > Crowder

I would've tried to package that hypothetical pick in another trade.

Honestly, I think the trade made today was a message that we are going to be very aggressive in the summer. Getting Crowder not only let us avoid a big Hood payday but also helps us avoid a Favors payday as well. A month ago, we probably thought Hood and Favors would cost us $25+ this summer. With Crowder, we have what we need to be secure for a bigger objective and he only costs us $7.5.

2018-19 numbers:

Gobert ($23.5), Rubio ($14.5), Ingles ($13), Crowder ($7.5), Mitchell ($3), Bradley ($1.7), and O'Neale ($1.5) = $65 million.
Burks is a $11.5 expiring
Exum expected to get $10
Jerekbo is nonguaranteed ($4.2)
Thabo is nonguaranteed ($5.2)
Udoh is nonguaranteed ($3.4)
Neto is a qualifying offer ($1.8)
So $15 in non-guaranteeds

The salary cap this year (2017-18) was around $99 million and luxury around $120. According to all reports, both are only going up a little next year. So let's just assume the 2018-19 salary cap is $100 and luxury is $121:

If we bring everybody back, we have 13 players at $101.5 million ($19 of luxury cap space).
If we bring everybody back but Burks, we actually have $10 million in space.
If we let everybody walk and trade Burks, we would have $25 million in cap space.

It is conceivable that we could offer Gordon or Parker or LeBron a max contract this summer and still have space under the luxury.

Maybe right now, but I think if he starts playing well again Jae>1st... I understand their thinking at least.

Honestly, I think the trade made today was a message that we are going to be very aggressive in the summer. Getting Crowder not only let us avoid a big Hood payday but also helps us avoid a Favors payday as well. A month ago, we probably thought Hood and Favors would cost us $25+ this summer. With Crowder, we have what we need to be secure for a bigger objective and he only costs us $7.5.

2018-19 numbers:

Gobert ($23.5), Rubio ($14.5), Ingles ($13), Crowder ($7.5), Mitchell ($3), Bradley ($1.7), and O'Neale ($1.5) = $65 million.
Burks is a $11.5 expiring
Exum expected to get $10
Jerekbo is nonguaranteed ($4.2)
Thabo is nonguaranteed ($5.2)
Udoh is nonguaranteed ($3.4)
Neto is a qualifying offer ($1.8)
So $15 in non-guaranteeds

The salary cap this year (2017-18) was around $99 million and luxury around $120. According to all reports, both are only going up a little next year. So let's just assume the 2018-19 salary cap is $100 and luxury is $121:

If we bring everybody back, we have 13 players at $101.5 million ($19 of luxury cap space).
If we bring everybody back but Burks, we actually have $10 million in space.
If we let everybody walk and trade Burks, we would have $25 million in cap space.

It is conceivable that we could offer Gordon or Parker or LeBron a max contract this summer and still have space under the luxury.
How are the Jazz trading Burks to have cap space next year, realistically?

That's a hypothetical, please stop doing what you do for at least today.

Last edited:
Really weird not to see any Jazz players wish Rodney well on this one. I've seen guys welcome Jae but nothing on the Hood front. Lots of whispers about Locker room issues as well with him. Jazz do a decent job of keeping these kinds of stories in the Locker room I think.

I've been on team trade Favs for a while now. But if the JAzz can actually somehow re-sign him to a good deal (it would have to be pretty great, imo) then maybe it's worth seeing how they all play together down the stretch. Locke reporting that there's a chance they re-sign him. I'm still pretty skeptical of that.

Really weird not to see any Jazz players wish Rodney well on this one. I've seen guys welcome Jae but nothing on the Hood front. Lots of whispers about Locker room issues as well with him. Jazz do a decent job of keeping these kinds of stories in the Locker room I think.

Information is slowly leaking out and some of it is quite shocking to me.

I’m really happy for Jae Crowder trade. I wanted to see him in Utah during Hayward drama since he was also such a great fit to this team. Now we have the chance to see how it kicks.