What's new

Video Game Thread

Wolf Among Us only got worse. I think there is probably too much Walking Dead game greatness residue influencing the review scores on that one. Also, I played a few hours of the earlier Assassins Creed games and they are surprisingly bad. I pumped up Black Flag earlier in this thread, but I guess that's the only AC game I like.

Portal 2 is worthy of everything good ever said about it though. Currently playing that.

Wolf Among Us only got worse. I think there is probably too much Walking Dead game greatness residue influencing the review scores on that one. Also, I played a few hours of the earlier Assassins Creed games and they are surprisingly bad. I pumped up Black Flag earlier in this thread, but I guess that's the only AC game I like.

Portal 2 is worthy of everything good ever said about it though. Currently playing that.
Yeah, as I know I've said previously, I really didn't like the first Assassin's Creed, and I liked the second one only enough to finish it once. I didn't buy the third one, but I just started playing Black Flag two days ago and I'm liking it pretty well. The ship stuff really adds to it. I also started enjoying myself more when I stopped trying to avoid unnecessary kills and just started slaughtering everyone.

I just, recently, found time to pick up and play through the DLC for Dark Souls 2. Has anyone tried it out?

I just, recently, found time to pick up and play through the DLC for Dark Souls 2. Has anyone tried it out?
I liked it. Most of it was a bit better than the main game, I thought.

I had a really tough time beating those three thief boss guys. I played the DLC on playthrough 2 and that fight kicked my ***.

IGN just put up this developer walkthrough of the first 18 minutes or so of Bloodborne, due out for PS4 on March 24th. There's a lot of new details in the video on how the gameplay works. It's lookin' awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sbmzXkE6TI

I'm also way excited for Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, which comes out this Friday, February 13th for the Nintendo 3DS. It's the kind of game you can easily play for hundreds of hours without getting bored. I'm sure I'll be playing it to the exclusion of everything else at least until Bloodborne comes out. Other than Resident Evil 4 and From Software's series of action RPGs, this is probably my favorite series of games ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acHkUhkg6AY

Bloodborne looks amazing. I won't be able to get it right away though. I'll eventually have to go all in and buy a ps4 for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, apparently the review embargo for Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate is over, and it's currently got an 87 on Metacritic, with only 2/21 reviews below an 80/100 (and frankly, the complaints that those two reviewers make are quite silly, for reasons I could easily explain).

Although there are plenty of text reviews, I've only found one video review -- IGN's. They gave it a 9/10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyQqjUK40wE

I really can't wait until Friday. This game is about to eat up all my free time.

PSA: There's a PSN flash sale going on through tomorrow morning that's discounting many games to $1 or less:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/pay-less-than-1-in-new-ps4-ps3-vita-flash-sale/1100-6426065/

I'd recommend picking up Tokyo Jungle, Katamari Damacy, and Dead Nation (all for PS3, although you can also get Dead Nation for PS4). Those are all really good value for dollar... I'm particularly looking forward to putting in some time with Tokyo Jungle, looks like great goofy fun. There's other good stuff on there too, like Pac-Man Championship Edition and a lot of Telltale Games stuff.

Also, Bloodborne is coming out on Tuesday. Gonna be awesome for anyone who owns a PS4.

Katamari Damacy is one of the weirdest games ever made. Don't skip the cutscenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgrnIBlxZCk

Bloodborne is just in time, cant wait to pick up my copy tomorrow. Gonna keep me busy until the jazz come back. Or atleast until the Witcher comes out.

Bloodborne is just in time, cant wait to pick up my copy tomorrow. Gonna keep me busy until the jazz come back. Or atleast until the Witcher comes out.
Bloodborne is certainly rocking the review scores so far. The review embargo was lifted 83 minutes ago, and so far it's got a 93 on Metacritic based on 28 reviews. If it maintains that score, it will beat all but three games on current-gen consoles: Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, XONE), The Last of Us Remastered (PS4), and Super Mario 3D World (Wii U) (and notice how two out of three of these are remastered last-gen games...).

Not that I really doubted it would be well-received by critics, or that I would enjoy the hell out of it.

Came in hear just to read Preacher's review of Bloodborne, he must be too busy fixing his broken controllers from playing the game to post about it? I'm not sure how I missed it was made by "Souls" until just recently or I would've been more excited about the game (cautiously as I can feel my echoes of rage from old memories past coming back) I haven't gotten it yet as I am still finding fun in DA Inquisition that and as I get older I just have less and less time so the time commitment and mental exhaustion have kept me from getting it but I will probably cave in today and download it.

Also noticed y'all mentioned the Witcher, not sure what I think of that game yet so any opinions would be welcomed. Also thought there would be some talk of 1886 The Order just from graphics a lone I almost got it but glad I waited as I hear the game play is really short, so maybe it is one of those rentals or borrow from a friend (if I had any that owned the game anyway).

Bloodborne should be awesome.

Only downside I have heard is that there are alot of long and unnecessary load times

I know nothing about video games, but I did some work on one of the Bloodborne trailers!

It looks very violent.

Came in hear just to read Preacher's review of Bloodborne, he must be too busy fixing his broken controllers from playing the game to post about it? I'm not sure how I missed it was made by "Souls" until just recently or I would've been more excited about the game (cautiously as I can feel my echoes of rage from old memories past coming back) I haven't gotten it yet as I am still finding fun in DA Inquisition that and as I get older I just have less and less time so the time commitment and mental exhaustion have kept me from getting it but I will probably cave in today and download it.
Well, I'm heading to a medical procedure in about 10 minutes that will leave me pretty well zonked-out for the rest of the day due to sedatives, but I can give some early thoughts.

It is a Souls game in all but name. The big gameplay difference is that there are no shields, which makes the game faster and more offensive. There's also a system in place now where if you attack an enemy shortly after being damaged, you can get some of your health back... again, they're encouraging a more offensive style.

I have to tell you, even as a hardened Souls veteran, the lack of a shield left me frustrated for the first couple of hours. I actually ended up starting over so that I could pick a different starting weapon: Hunter's Axe instead of Saw Cleaver. That really helped. The two-handed strong charge attack with the axe is pretty great... uses a ton of stamina, but does a double spin attack that will knock most enemies over. I've been leaning on that attack pretty hard, and I've done well with it. Feels kinda cheesy, actually, but there's no such thing as cheesing in these games. You do whatever works.

Oh, and by the way, there doesn't seem to be any sort of viable ranged build. You have a gun in your left hand, but this is designed to stun enemies rather than damage them. No more ranged magic build to lean on, which to me was always the easiest way to play a Souls game when it came down to it.

In any case, I could go on for a while about all the tiny changes they made to the formula (like the fact that equip load no longer exists, and potions are now finite rather than being automatically restocked at bonfires), but the details don't really matter so much. What matters is that the game is very good indeed. Miyazaki's touch is back after being absent from Dark Souls 2. The bosses are much better, and the world feels more organic than it did in Dark Souls 2. The only real downside is what fishonjazz already mentioned: the load times blow, particularly since you'll be dying a lot. I'm talking 30-40 second load times every time you die.

All that said, if you love the Souls games, and you own a PS4, this is a no-brainer. Get it now. Hell, if you're a Souls fan and don't own a PS4, now may be a good time to get one. On the other hand, if you never liked the Souls games to begin with, I think this probably still won't be your cup of tea.

Well, I'm heading to a medical procedure in about 10 minutes that will leave me pretty well zonked-out for the rest of the day due to sedatives, but I can give some early thoughts.

It is a Souls game in all but name. The big gameplay difference is that there are no shields, which makes the game faster and more offensive. There's also a system in place now where if you attack an enemy shortly after being damaged, you can get some of your health back... again, they're encouraging a more offensive style.

I have to tell you, even as a hardened Souls veteran, the lack of a shield left me frustrated for the first couple of hours. I actually ended up starting over so that I could pick a different starting weapon: Hunter's Axe instead of Saw Cleaver. That really helped. The two-handed strong charge attack with the axe is pretty great... uses a ton of stamina, but does a double spin attack that will knock most enemies over. I've been leaning on that attack pretty hard, and I've done well with it. Feels kinda cheesy, actually, but there's no such thing as cheesing in these games. You do whatever works.

Oh, and by the way, there doesn't seem to be any sort of viable ranged build. You have a gun in your left hand, but this is designed to stun enemies rather than damage them. No more ranged magic build to lean on, which to me was always the easiest way to play a Souls game when it came down to it.

In any case, I could go on for a while about all the tiny changes they made to the formula (like the fact that equip load no longer exists, and potions are now finite rather than being automatically restocked at bonfires), but the details don't really matter so much. What matters is that the game is very good indeed. Miyazaki's touch is back after being absent from Dark Souls 2. The bosses are much better, and the world feels more organic than it did in Dark Souls 2. The only real downside is what fishonjazz already mentioned: the load times blow, particularly since you'll be dying a lot. I'm talking 30-40 second load times every time you die.

All that said, if you love the Souls games, and you own a PS4, this is a no-brainer. Get it now. Hell, if you're a Souls fan and don't own a PS4, now may be a good time to get one. On the other hand, if you never liked the Souls games to begin with, I think this probably still won't be your cup of tea.

About 6 hours in I unlocked the Kirkhammer, sold my hunters axe to afford to buy the hammer, and realized i was 4 strength short of equipping it. No other weapons for sale. i spend the next 2 1/2 hours killing townsfolk by hand to save up the 10k echoes needed to lvl STR up. I was so pissed. Other than that the game is awesome. I find the difficulty more in line with the original demon souls, with the exception of boss battles. The 2 boss' I've killed have been pretty easy. The new combat system is stellar. As someone who never really used a shield in any of the previous games, I find this system a lot more enjoyable for the way I play. I also love the lack of gear drops and availability. Everything you find is that much more exciting and meaninful. It doesn't knock demon souls of it's perch, but so far I think I'm going to end up liking it more than either dark souls games. It's a must own game for sure.

About 6 hours in I unlocked the Kirkhammer, sold my hunters axe to afford to buy the hammer, and realized i was 4 strength short of equipping it. No other weapons for sale. i spend the next 2 1/2 hours killing townsfolk by hand to save up the 10k echoes needed to lvl STR up. I was so pissed. Other than that the game is awesome. I find the difficulty more in line with the original demon souls, with the exception of boss battles. The 2 boss' I've killed have been pretty easy. The new combat system is stellar. As someone who never really used a shield in any of the previous games, I find this system a lot more enjoyable for the way I play. I also love the lack of gear drops and availability. Everything you find is that much more exciting and meaninful. It doesn't knock demon souls of it's perch, but so far I think I'm going to end up liking it more than either dark souls games. It's a must own game for sure.
What about the load times doe?

I wonder if the Digital download will help (it's downloading as I type this) with the load times, even if it does I doubt it is more then 1-2sec.

I also never was one for shields and I know that the magic builds was the popular way to go but I guess I just wanted to make things more difficult on myself and used bows and then would flip to a fast sword when they got close so I guess as a plus I don't have that style/experience to unlearn from. I never did play DSII I think I bought the PS4 just around the time that game came out so couldn't justify spending money on a PS3 game.

Reading your guys' posts and what I've read online I do think it sounds like it will be more like Demon Souls then Dark Souls, not that there was huge differences nor am I as knowledgeable as Priest or Chris but I think there was subtle differences between them and like Demon Souls better.

At any rate thanks for the replies.

I must have some unknown curse on me.

So I'm starting Fallout 2 with the latest Restoration Project once again.

Well, can you consider life a waste of time if you enjoy it? So I'll call this one a good thing.

War...War never changes.