What's new

Video Game Thread

IIRC, the only decent NBA game at all is the 2K series (I think the current version would be NBA 2K 14). Not that I've played either but the EA NBA series routinely gets killed in reviews. I don't know if there's any great differences between the 13 and 14 version so it could pay to get the 13 version that's probably $15 at Gamestop.

Only Nintendo game I care about is Smash Brothers.

Most fun game series ever invented.

I do love me some Smash. I'd also love to get my hands on Monolith Soft's X, as well as Bayonetta 2, but otherwise I have very little interest in the Wii U. And I agree with DR that the controller is ridiculous and completely unnecessary for most games.

IIRC, the only decent NBA game at all is the 2K series (I think the current version would be NBA 2K 14). Not that I've played either but the EA NBA series routinely gets killed in reviews. I don't know if there's any great differences between the 13 and 14 version so it could pay to get the 13 version that's probably $15 at Gamestop.

I LOVED nba 2k11, but then bought 2k13 (so I could start the core 4 and I traded big al for Damien lillard) and I hated 2k13 compared to 11.
Im definitely in the minority about that though, so ya hantlers you should get nba 2k

I bought the new Xcom UFO Defense for my PC and my PC died and I cannot play it!! ARGHH!!!!!! If I wanst moving into my house in 3 weeks I'd guy buy a new comp!

I bought the new Xcom UFO Defense for my PC and my PC died and I cannot play it!! ARGHH!!!!!! If I wanst moving into my house in 3 weeks I'd guy buy a new comp!
This is a sure sign from the gods that they, too, think the original was better anyway.

Seriously though, that sucks. Do you at least have most of your files backed up? What component of your PC died? How old was the PC?

This is a sure sign from the gods that they, too, think the original was better anyway.

Seriously though, that sucks. Do you at least have most of your files backed up? What component of your PC died? How old was the PC?

It couldn't really run it smooth enough to play anyways. It got a virus and crashed. Just need to take it in to clean up. But if I am going to play games I need a new one anyways. it is a Vaio and its like 6 years old.

It couldn't really run it smooth enough to play anyways. It got a virus and crashed. Just need to take it in to clean up. But if I am going to play games I need a new one anyways. it is a Vaio and its like 6 years old.
Ouch. Might I make a recommendation? Order something off ibuypower.com. You can set yourself up with a lot more power per dollar than going for one of the name brands. And they still offer you a warranty. I was in the hunt for something really high end about six months ago, but was too lazy to build a computer myself. I found ibuypower to be easily the best way to go overall. Very happy with my own purchase.

Also: live a little and get an SSD. The quality of life difference can't really be put into words.

Isn't that ish like dangerous though?

Can be. Publishers can potentially track and report your IP. Thing to remember is that your internet provider really doesn't care what you do, it's only the publisher that will report these things. For that they have to be monitoring the torrent at the time you're downloading it. And even if they do report you to your internet provider, on a first offense you're only going to get a stern warning message. There's too much piracy around for them to prosecute first-time offenders when so many stop after being warned once.

In short, the danger in practice is very low. But I don't blame you for not wanting to get into it.

So, there's some dude/jerkface who has already posted six YouTube videos of a Dark Souls 2 walkthrough. I was interested, but didn't want to totally spoil everything for myself, so I elected to watch just the first video -- which is about 45 minutes -- on the theory that I would've seen most of the areas already from other preview footage. Luckily, it turned out that this was pretty much the case, although there is footage of the first boss in it. And obviously it gives a much better sense of the way the world is connected in the early game.

In any case, I'm embedding the video below. If you don't want to spoil anything for yourself by seeing footage of the first 45 mins or so of the game, don't watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S_b0m9cbNE

BTW, if anyone cares, I can provide some info on the starting gifts.

Oh, one other bit of awesome Dark Souls 2 news. Apparently this time around, NG+ will do more than just boost enemies' health and damage. It will actually add new enemies (including a few bosses, I hear), and new, more powerful items to find. How awesome is that? Playthrough 2 will be almost like playing a different game. This should give everyone good incentive to play through at least twice.

Two things about this. First, every playthrough beyond the second one will not change enemy placement in this way. It is only the first playthrough that is different (easier) than all subsequent playthroughs.

Second, players on playthrough 1 will not be able to summon, invade, or be invaded by players in NG+ and beyond. Makes sense, since the game is actually different. It'll also hopefully help to cut down the amount of griefing in playthrough 1. Theoretically the hardcore PvPers will be more interested in NG+, where the full range of items and equipment becomes available. It won't stop a few a-holes from specifically keeping an alt character on the first playthrough just to mess with n00bs, but it should help.

Here's my evidence:

https://i.imgur.com/LfaCCak.jpg

and

https://fextralife.com/back-breaking-dark-souls-ii-news/ (click the grey button to show gameplay mechanic info)

Can be. Publishers can potentially track and report your IP. Thing to remember is that your internet provider really doesn't care what you do, it's only the publisher that will report these things. For that they have to be monitoring the torrent at the time you're downloading it. And even if they do report you to your internet provider, on a first offense you're only going to get a stern warning message. There's too much piracy around for them to prosecute first-time offenders when so many stop after being warned once.

In short, the danger in practice is very low. But I don't blame you for not wanting to get into it.
ISPs have a limit before they just shut off your service. Comcast is 6 warnings (allegedly) for instance.

I'm picking up Dark Souls 2 tonight at midnight my righteous dudes.

Good times. I'm doing the release-date delivery thing from Amazon, should get it tomorrow afternoon.

I actually received the guide today. Normally I don't get guides, but I made an exception just because I love these games so much and want to support them. It's a nice book... about 450 glossy full-color pages.