What's new

Voter Suppression and Why The Republicans Love It So Much?

I suppose it is as stupid and wrong as the US Constitution, Article 4, Section 4, Clause 1 which says in no uncertain terms what kind of government we have. The word democracy doesn't appear a single time in the US Constitution, but it does appear in Federalist 10 written by the same guy who wrote the US Constitution to explain why the US wasn't a direct or representative democracy but was in fact a republic.

No offense intended @fishonjazz, but I'm going to make a guess that you've never taken a Political Science class.
I actually did take a political science class at SUU.
Don't need that to know we are a democracy though. Just have to listen to the presidents of our country, the people of our country, the dictionary, Google, really pretty much anyone and anything other than you.

Did you know that I went to the doctor once and had to fill out paperwork asking me questions about myself. Not once did I put on that paperwork that I'm a human. The word human didn't appear anywhere on that document. But I am a human. Probably didn't need the word human on that document as it's obvious and unnecessary.

The problem is that the underlying reading of early American documents is quite wrong. When the founders inveighed against “democracy,” they were warning against something very different — direct democracy rather than the election of representatives — that isn’t really on the table in modern America.
When James Madison critiqued “democracy” in Federalist No. 10, he meant the Athenian sort
when they talk about “democracy,” they don’t mean the concept as we ordinarily understand it. As the New York Times’s Jamelle Bouie shows in an excellent 2019 column, the founders were actually preoccupied by democracy as practiced in ancient Athens, a society where all adult male citizens voted on policy measures rather than electing representatives to do the voting for them

In short, what we call “representative democracy” today — a system of government where people elect leaders to make policy — is what the founders called a “republic.” Their attacks on “democracy” in the Athenian sense does not mean that America is not a democracy in the contemporary sense

This article would be good reading and informative for some people here.

Don't need that to know we are a democracy though. Just have to listen to the presidents of our country, the people of our country, the dictionary, Google, really pretty much anyone and anything other than you.

Did you know that I went to the doctor once and had to fill out paperwork asking me questions about myself. Not once did I put on that paperwork that I'm a human. The word human didn't appear anywhere on that document. But I am a human. Probably didn't need the word human on that document as it's obvious and unnecessary.
Like… literally our presidents and former presidential candidates refer to our country as a democracy. I guess mitt, Obama, Bush, Clinton, etc are all wrong?

Yep and the Bible said wherefore art thou.
Today we say, where are you.
Crazy how language and meanings and interpretation changes over time.

It's weird how some people just hold on to literal references of the past that no longer apply in today's world. And for what? Probably just like to be contrary I guess.
Get a kick out of it or something.
I mean basically the entire world recognizes the US as a democracy. Even more than that pretty much the entire world thinks of the US as the main representative of democracy. It's like the first thing people think of when they think of the United States. Yet for some reason that seems to stick in his craw. What's the big deal anyway. Potato pototo. I don't really care this much what AI wants to call America.
I'm bowing out of this silly and petty debate

I've just pointed where in the US Constitution it says that we are a republic, and to the supporting document in which it says specifically that we are not a democracy.

You've proven over and over that you know how to Google the word 'democracy'. Now try Googling the word 'republic' and try explaining why we are not a republic. That is the piece you are missing.

The Roman Republic had citizen who voted for representatives to conduct the business of the government just like in the representative democracies that came before in Greece, but what made the Roman Republican system different was the creation of the Constitution of the Roman Republic which limited their power.

Not too long ago duly elected Joe Biden had enacted an eviction moratorium that had public support. It was struck down as unconstitutional. In our system of government, it doesn't matter how popular a thing is if it is unconstitutional because we are not a democracy where the will of the people are the ultimate power. It doesn't matter if Joe Biden is duly empowered to represent the people if a thing is unconstitutional because we are not a representative democracy and the US Constitution overrules him. We are a republic. That is how a republic functions.

That article is just double-speak for the 2+2=5 crowd who like to redefine terms to explain away the obvious.

Democracy is a form of government. It is a noun.
A Republic is a form of government. It is a noun.
A Monarchy is a form of government. It is a noun.

In the term 'representative democracy', the word 'representative' is an adjective while 'democracy' is a noun.
In the term 'democratic republic', the word 'democratic' is an adjective while 'republic' is a noun.
In the term 'authoritarian monarchy', the word 'authoritarian' is an adjective while 'monarchy' is a noun.

A representative democracy is a (noun) democracy while a democratic republic is a (noun) republic. A democratic republic is not a (noun) democracy. So what kind of government do we have according to this author?
You can have democratic republics like the United States, where the elected president is both head of government and head of state. You can have democratic monarchies, like the United Kingdom, where the elected prime minister is the head of government while the monarch is head of state. You can have authoritarian republics, like Russia, and authoritarian monarchies, like Saudi Arabia.
The rest of it is just playing a shell game mixing the adjective of 'democratic' with the noun 'democracy' with the intended purpose to confuse.

You've proven over and over that you know how to Google the word 'democracy'. Now try Googling the word 'republic' and try explaining why we are not a republic.
I see why you are confused now. I was never arguing that we aren't a republic. A thing can be two things at once. I'm a man and also a human. I live in a city and a state and a country and a continent and a planet all at the same time. The country I live happens to be a Democratic Republic.

That's the last I will discuss this with you. Too petty and to stupid to debate further. Good day

Yup.

Nailed it.

Correct again.

Totally agree.

@fishonjazz, you're the people. Do you rule us? Do you have supreme power vested in you? Nope, because you live in a republic and not a democracy.
"The people" not "any single individual". Big difference.

I see why you are confused now. I was never arguing that we aren't a republic. A thing can be two things at once. I'm a man and also a human. I live in a city and a state and a country and a continent and a planet all at the same time. The country I live happens to be a Democratic Republic.

That's the last I will discuss this with you. Too petty and to stupid to debate further. Good day
Your don't live in a state. You live in the city of Utah.

Lol at him conflating democracy with direct democracy. Now I understand why his argument seemed so stupid and wrong. He was saying that we aren't a direct democracy. Well duh. Like is that even possible? Does it even exist anywhere?
Silly argument
It exists in my house. It's completely fair, because my wife set it up. I get 1 vote. My kids each get a half a vote. My wife gets 10 votes. But hey, we all vote! Then we do what my wife wants to do.

Yes, I have no *********.

Big leaps in logic here bud. Like assuming you're a human when you went to your vet.

At this point there have been thousands of tests of Einstein's theory of relativity, and scientists continue to think up new ones.
IIRC, the General Theory of Relativity still has point singularities. It's going to fall at some point. @colton might tell me I'm wrong here.

I suppose it is as stupid and wrong as the US Constitution, Article 4, Section 4, Clause 1 which says in no uncertain terms what kind of government we have.
The Constitution has been amended since then. Perhaps you didn't hear about that? Changes include the direct election of Senators and increased voting eligibility for non-property owners, non-whites, women, that those aged 18-20. We started out as a republic where one legislative branch was unelected and white property-owning men decided things for the country, and have since moved on to being a democracy.

You're fooling yourself! We're living in a dictatorship! A self-perpetuating autocracy in which the working classes--

Sent from my Pixel 5a using JazzFanz mobile app
There you go bringing class into it again...Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!

In other news, I once dated this witch. Outside of turning me into a newt (I got better) it was nice. I could easily carry her around as she only weighed roughly the amount of a duck. Don't know what happened to her, that bridge was burned a while ago.

There you go bringing class into it again...Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!
Oh! Now we see the violence inherent in the system! Help, help, I'm being repressed!
In other news, I once dated this witch. Outside of turning me into a newt (I got better) it was nice. I could easily carry her around as she only weighed roughly the amount of a duck. Don't know what happened to her, that bridge was burned a while ago.
You Americans, all you do is talk, and talk, and say 'let me tell you something' and 'I just wanna say.' Well, you're dead now, so shut up!

Oh! Now we see the violence inherent in the system! Help, help, I'm being repressed!

You Americans, all you do is talk, and talk, and say 'let me tell you something' and 'I just wanna say.' Well, you're dead now, so shut up!
I'm not Exum. Plus I don't want to go on the cart. I feel happy! I feel happy!