What's new

Walker Kessler Bench Appreciation Thread

During a recent practice scrimmage at training camp, Utah Jazz coach Will Hardy playfully threatened Walker Kessler.

“If you don’t shoot the next open 3, I’m going to fine you $10,000.”

Dutifully, Kessler shot the ball.

The 22-year-old spent a lot of time this summer examining his shot and trying to correct some of the imperfections, and has shown off some of his progress during the preseason.

I did not accuse him of saying they are the same player. I said he compared them. Describing one player in relation to another is comparing them. It’s a fact. You cannot describe one thing in relation to another without comparing them, because that is a comparison. Saying Brook and Kessler both shot 0 threes is a comparison. Bringing up an example because of similarity is a comparison.

He even said Kessler is a “more accomplished shooter than Lopez in his second year”. It is not possible to say one thing is “more” than the other without it being comparison lol.
Example is a sample, not an argument of similarity. People take different paths to the same place all the time.

The latter part is a comparison, but only of a data point not the players or their skillsets.

Again, I dont think Kesslers path still leads there. At least not before I actually see him start taking some 10 ft jumpers or something.

Example is a sample, not an argument of similarity. People take different paths to the same place all the time.

The latter part is a comparison, but only of a data point not the players or their skillsets.

Again, I dont think Kesslers path still leads there. At least not before I actually see him start taking some 10 ft jumpers or something.

Comparisons don't necessarily need to be arguments of similarity. It just so happens that he directly compared Brook's shooting to Kessler's. The only reason we're having this semantics conversation is that the actual argument, is a very stupid one. Lopez's shooting improvement is a dumb (insert any term for example/comparison) for Kessler. I could not care less about the terminology, go ahead and call whatever he did whatever you want. Point is this Lopez/Kessler discussion is dumb.

The part about it being a data point and not the players/skillsets....yeah I agree with that. When you ignore all context you get the same data point. It's useless and stupid to use as a reason why Kessler might also improve. Embiid and myself both had zero MVP's at the age of 28. That is a true data point, and also completely useless information when it comes to my chances of winning MVP at age 29. When you have a data point and go out of your way to ignore any kind of surrounding context, it's irrelevant.

Last edited:
Anyways, the real offensive improvement Kessler needs to make is to be less soft around the basket. I believe a big reason why he can often be soft is that he avoids contract and does not want to shoot FT's. He doesn't even need to make that big of an improvement at the line to be effective, you could argue he's already there. But at 60% from the line you're well in the green as far as it being effective offense. A tiny improvement in his FT% and a stronger mentality around the basket would go a long way for him.

Comparisons don't necessarily need to be arguments of similarity

According to the dictionary (and my high school English classes), that's exactly what they are.

I cannot believe what I’m seeing lol.

If describing one player in relation to another is not comparing the two….man who tf cares. Whatever yall are doing with Kessler and Lopez is dumb as **** and it’s a reoccurring thing.

Embiid age 28 (zero mvp)
Me age 28 (zero mvp)
Embiid age 29 (MVP)
Me age 29 (MVP??????)

I’ve got a chance guys!
I’m not comparing or even describing Kessler and Brooks for hell sakes. Someone said Kessler 100% would never become a floor spacer no matter what. I disagreed and showed precedence for a none floor spacer becoming one to show it’s possible. There was no comparing in any way. It was an example of someone learning how

According to the dictionary (and my high school English classes), that's exactly what they are.

Verbatim from the link you provided:

an examination of two or more items to establish similarities and dissimilarities

I’m not comparing or even describing Kessler and Brooks for hell sakes. Someone said Kessler 100% would never become a floor spacer no matter what. I disagreed and showed precedence for a none floor spacer becoming one to show it’s possible. There was no comparing in any way. It was an example of someone learning how

Sure....lol. I don't care what you call what you're doing, it's dumb and easily one of the dumbest reoccurring things that pop up on this forum.

BTW, not describing or comparing Brook or Kessler haha.

Walker actually shot threes in college. Brook never even considered shooting threes in college or his first 6-7 years in the nba just stop. Lol

Last edited: