What's new

Was this season a success?

Was this season a success?

• Yes

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 51 75.0%

• Total voters
Slow and steady wins the race. In life and sports.

"If you're not getting better, you're getting worse"

the ramifications of this wasted season wont be fully absorbed til like 25games into next season, then we'll see who's steady...

Slow is really a bad thing in the NBA too... you can get ran off the court, like what just took place int he playoffs

The season was a mild success. Given that we weren't going to make the Finals this year anyway, we learned about our team. Now the front office needs to make one or more significant moves.
This

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

You are being too rigid imo... this season gave us the data we need to use this summer. Last year a valid case could be made for running it back... we discovered that this group kinda plateaued... not individually but as a group. If we don’t or can’t use this data then fine call the season a failure... if we do the. It’s a success.

DM and Rudy made solid improvements... those are the two most important guys to the franchise. We could have easily gone the other way and gotten worse... but they improved. It is hard for me to call this season a “failure”... “disappointing” sure... teams in several markets would call our season the best season for their franchises in the last 10 years. Pass and Fail is a tough grading system... forced to pick I’d say pass. Under a traditional grading system I’d say we got a B- or C+.

Gobert and Mitchell we’re improving period. And the team would have gotten the data they need regardless of the outcome. Failing to secure home court, failing to make a move midseason and failing to get out of the first round is a failure of a season.

C-

"If you're not getting better, you're getting worse"

the ramifications of this wasted season wont be fully absorbed til like 25games into next season, then we'll see who's steady...

Slow is really a bad thing in the NBA too... you can get ran off the court, like what just took place int he playoffs

Just curious how you live your life in general?

I built a successful business over the past 10 years. And it's taken consistent effort day in day out. Small increases over time that have grown into major changes and success. I have plenty of failures and disappointing losses, but, you stick with your plan, don't take short cuts, and things work out in incredible ways.

I believe each season is much more complicated than it seems. Patience is key in this process.

Gobert and Mitchell we’re improving period. And the team would have gotten the data they need regardless of the outcome. Failing to secure home court, failing to make a move midseason and failing to get out of the first round is a failure of a season.

C-

Failure isn't a bad thing. It's part of the journey. In fact it is absolutely necessary to fail.

Failure isn't a bad thing. It's part of the journey. In fact it is absolutely necessary to fail.

I agree. And this was a failure. Calling it that isn’t a problem. So now let’s see the FO work on solutions.

This season’s success or failure is really dependent on what we do this summer.
This is where I fall. I guess it's somewhat unfair to expect a huge jump in regular season wins or in the playoffs when your team is being led by a second year player, I'm fine with how that played out all things considered.

If this team is going to make a jump to the next tier it's going to have to come from roster improvement imo.

2 players improved, Rudy and Donnovan, that's a w. A+
The rest of the roster either stayed the same or very slightly improved or declined. C
Lindsey traded for Korver then took off the rest off the year. Huge fail. F
Coaching was phenomenal, the roster that Quin had to work with was hugely flawed and yet the Jazz still ended with 51 wins on the year. A+
Jazz financially was definitely profitable. A

Overall B

Offseason will be a ton of player turnover, it has to. If Lindsey wants to build a contender this offseason will show it. Let's see if Lindsey is a good salesman or if he's just full of excuses again.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

C-

Those things are not guaranteed at all... teams could have exposed DM as fools gold or both guys could have regressed. It’s tough to not give the team credit for the things the did improve on and to focus on their failures.

It’s a mixed bag but trust me it could be much worse. I just can’t call the whole thing a failure. I also don’t think we were winning it all this year and I don’t think we lost a whole lot in this “failure”. If we had beat the spurs in the first round then lost to Houston in 5 is that failure?

Again if we want to say it’s disappointing I would agree. Things just aren’t this black and white.

2 players improved, Rudy and Donnovan, that's a w. A+
The rest of the roster either stayed the same or very slightly improved or declined. C
Lindsey traded for Korver then took off the rest off the year. Huge fail. F
Coaching was phenomenal, the roster that Quin had to work with was hugely flawed and yet the Jazz still ended with 51 wins on the year. A+
Jazz financially was definitely profitable. A

Overall B

Offseason will be a ton of player turnover, it has to. If Lindsey wants to build a contender this offseason will show it. Let's see if Lindsey is a good salesman or if he's just full of excuses again.

How can you say DL tool off half the year? I just don't get this mentality. You LITERALLY know nothing that goes on behind the scenes. Like, zero. And yet you talk as if you were in the meetings and on the phone calls with him.

Those things are not guaranteed at all... teams could have exposed DM as fools gold or both guys could have regressed. It’s tough to not give the team credit for the things the did improve on and to focus on their failures.

It’s a mixed bag but trust me it could be much worse. I just can’t call the whole thing a failure. I also don’t think we were winning it all this year and I don’t think we lost a whole lot in this “failure”. If we had beat the spurs in the first round then lost to Houston in 5 is that failure?

Again if we want to say it’s disappointing I would agree. Things just aren’t this black and white.
The title of this thread and the topic is whether the season was a success, not whether it was a failure. It seems you're indicating this season was not a success. Because it wasn't.

To repeat, other players, agents, and history do not care about the nuances of losing a first-round series in five games, what favors do we do ourselves by engaging in such apologetics? You know Gobert and Mitchell don't.

How can you say DL tool off half the year? I just don't get this mentality. You LITERALLY know nothing that goes on behind the scenes. Like, zero. And yet you talk as if you were in the meetings and on the phone calls with him.
I don't care about what he tried to do, I care about what he did.
He traded for Korver, that's what his entire season was. He didn't even sign 1 guy out of the g league this year. He made the least amount of moves of any team in the league. The Jazz have several holes on the roster and he didn't fix anything, he didn't even patch it.
The Jazz had to play Donnovan at point guard 25% of the year simple because there wasn't a healthy one on the roster. Naz was for some reason but he wasn't good enough to get any minutes.
Now he's already making up excuses about not signing free agents for this upcoming offseason because they're expensive.
Lindsey has to do more than he has, no more excuses.

This season was not a success. It was a big disappointment. Let’s be honest, we were thinking 3rd seed - and we were thinking 2nd round exit at the very least. I guess it could have been an improvement from last year if we had at least taken 2 games from Houston. Something just didn’t feel right all season long - unlike last year. Exum’s injury was a bummer too.

Grade: C

Order of business...

Get Rubio out of here and go get a star PG. Do everything in your power to either get Conley/Walker/Holliday

Upgrade at either the SF or the PF position. Ingles got exposed bad. He needs to be coming off the bench.

Hopefully see if Exum is part of the future once and for all, and if he isn’t, include him in a trade package before he loses all of his value completely.

Just curious how you live your life in general?

I built a successful business over the past 10 years. And it's taken consistent effort day in day out. Small increases over time that have grown into major changes and success. I have plenty of failures and disappointing losses, but, you stick with your plan, don't take short cuts, and things work out in incredible ways.

I believe each season is much more complicated than it seems. Patience is key in this process.

I’ve had overnight success that took 4-5 years to build... DM got 10% better... he’s due for a bigger improvement wit’s a healthy summer... hell just shooting better would unlock so much for him and us.

The title of this thread and the topic is whether the season was a success, not whether it was a failure. It seems you're indicating this season was not a success. Because it wasn't.

To repeat, other players, agents, and history do not care about the nuances of losing a first-round series in five games, what favors do we do ourselves by engaging in such apologetics? You know Gobert and Mitchell don't.

It’s the pass or fail nature of the question that I’m struggling with. People are like was this a success “no” then say I’d give them a C... which is a pass. So was it a success overall idk... was it a failure... I say nah.

I’ll just leave it at this... it was a disappointing season. We didn’t significantly add to the asset base of the team and have some clear flaws we didn’t address due to preferring continuity. The biggest failure in my mind that lingers on is the Dante contract. Had we waited him out and got him on a better deal we’d be better off... had we let him walk we’d be better off... had we kept him at the QO we’d be better off.

We tried to get Conley and that didn’t work... it seems we could have done other deals but who knows. This summer is the determining factor for me... last years offseason made sense but the data set on Ricky Rudy Favs is now pretty conclusive that we need to mix that up. If Memphis indicated they were doing our trade and we have Conley and maybe still have Favs then I’d feel pretty fantastic about where we are. DL can be blamed to a point there but it’s clear that group has some real issues and likely just screwed us.

I don't care about what he tried to do, I care about what he did.
He traded for Korver, that's what his entire season was. He didn't even sign 1 guy out of the g league this year. He made the least amount of moves of any team in the league. The Jazz have several holes on the roster and he didn't fix anything, he didn't even patch it.
The Jazz had to play Donnovan at point guard 25% of the year simple because there wasn't a healthy one on the roster. Naz was for some reason but he wasn't good enough to get any minutes.
Now he's already making up excuses about not signing free agents for this upcoming offseason because they're expensive.
Lindsey has to do more than he has, no more excuses.

So, you put injuries on DL then? Is he God?