What's new

Was this season a success?

Was this season a success?

• Yes

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 51 75.0%

• Total voters
Well it really depends how you define success. I say the season was a success because we won more games and made the playoffs. However, it was disappointing because we lost in the first round and neglected to address obvious issues with the talent.

I am not surprised about the season and the Jazz losing in the first round. Many people were excusing our slow start to a difficult schedule which is partly true but not the whole story. We were struggling because we were playing playoff teams. The teams that the Jazz need to beat. The regular season is more about playoff positioning. When the playoffs start match ups can determine whether a team advances or not. You can't hide from a team in a 7 game series.

Going forward if the Jazz do not objectively look at the roster and make significant changes then I will consider it a failure. Progress is great to a certain point but ultimately success comes from winning a championship. So until the Jazz win a championship they have failed.

Let's not kid ourselves here. The season was not a success. Getting spanked in the first round by any team is a quantifiable step back.
This.
I voted "no" because I hope the players see it in that same general light. The FO will see things in finer detail and shades of grey.... but I hope they don't overthink it.

Reactions: RJF
Worst part of this season is all the posters coming out with some version of ******** “I told you so”.

Some ideas I’ve seen floated on here since yesterday are vomit worthy.

I told you guys Korver would **** the bed in the playoffs. No one listened. Everyone was super excited sbout his 7 points per game or whatever.

No, not the way we went out against Houston. I didn't expect to win but the series it should've gone seven games if we hadn't choked when it counted. And this is not on one person, either. I didn't listen to Ricky's exit interview. I think Ricky is kind of a dinosaur like the traditional post player. He's a point guard who can't shoot and I think his poor shooting also causes him to make some terrible passes because of indecision. Shooting has become the most important skill in the pro game now -- it also hinders Rudy from moving up to the level of superstar, and it might end up doing the same to Donovan, though I think he has it in him to overcome that. Let's hope DL finds a way to fix our roster.

I think the team was better than last year. But I can't call it a success. Didn't make it as far as last year and really struggled at times this season. This team is to the point that nothing short of the WCF is a success.

That said I like this team and think they are maybe 2 pieces away from really competing. Replace Rubio with a competent PG/SG that can make teams guard the perimeter and find 1 more 3 and D guy to replace Korver/Sef and Udoh. Don't even know if it matter which position those 2 players play. Just need more firepower without losing defense.

Is Lindsey still the GM?
Is he spouting nonsense about Ricky having Jazz DNA and scenarios where Ricky could be back?

Then no, Lindsey has not learned from history, he appears doomed to repeat it and the last 2 years have been a colossal waste of Donovan's talent.

But it gets me a year closer to following whatever team Donovan goes to in 5 more years.

The last 2 years have been a colossal waste of Donovan's talent.

Mitchell was as much the problem as the solution to this years record and success! You didn't expect him to step in and dominate the league right off the bat, did you? His ball control and ability to distribute the ball when double teamed will improve with time, I suspect!

No. We took a step back.

Last year we won 48 games with Rudy out for nearly half of the season, a rookie Donovan Mitchell who was learning everything on the fly, and Ricky Rubio who was brand new to the team. Had Gobert been healthy we would have likely won 55-60 games because we were playing AMAZING basketball when he was healthy. This season we won 50 games despite our key pieces being healthy for the majority of the season and both Mitchell and Rubio having a full season under their belt. 50 isn't bad by any means. But it's a step back from where we were. Furthermore many of our key players either flat out sucked this year (Rubio) or struggled for large stretches (Mitchell, Ingles) when they were very good for most of last season. And we played some flat out TERRIBLE basketball in the first half of the season for no reason. None. I still don't have the nasty taste of that 50 point loss to the Mavs out of my mouth.

There is no reason why we shouldn't have won 54-55 games this year, won the division, been top 3/4 in the west with homecourt in the west, made it to the 2nd rd/WCF, and been more competitive overall against the best teams. We were good enough to do that. That would have been a successful season.

Mitchell was as much the problem as the solution to this years record and success! You didn't expect him to step in and dominate the league right off the bat, did you? His ball control and ability to distribute the ball when double teamed will improve with time, I suspect!
Yes, it will. But to expect the Jazz to improve much without more weapons just ain't going to happen. They've essentially maximized their talent. If anything, maybe overachieved. So if Lindsey plays it back without any major additions, Utah is in trouble.

No we took a step back quite a bit. This team needs to step it up or be stuck in basketball puragtory/treadmill. Gotta be better than Portland & Denver in the regular season.