What's new

Weird Possibly Dumb Question?

Gameface

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
So I was thinking about addiction the other day and I wondered:

If you were studying someone without their knowledge and had pretty much complete control over their environment and slowly got them addicted to heroin by adding it to various items they consumed, sometimes their coffee, sometimes their salad, sometimes their chewing gum, etc. how would the addiction affect them? They wouldn't be able to identify the source of the addictive substance, so what would they crave? If you slowly weaned them off would they be as likely as your average heroin addict to start using again? I mean, they wouldn't even know it was heroin they were addicted to. Would it be something that could easily be triggered, like if they got some lortab after a dentist visit or something they would go full blown nuts for the stuff immediately?

Maybe it's a dumb question. I don't know. Was just curious.

Reactions: ema
Sinister.

Actually good question that I wouldn't mind babe answering. haha (only serious)

Interesting thought experiment. I have one wrench to throw in before further comment: there is no singular "source" of addiction; a drug is always implicated in a culture of use (which includes dangers of acquisition, purity of materials, methods of consumption, etc. -- all of which feeds into the form addiction takes).

Now, on a biochemical level, this person who is habituated to heroin would certainly undergo withdrawal symptoms and attempt to self-medicate. I'd wager that even though he/she isn't imbricated in a culture of use, he/she would find his/her way to the sea of prescription pain pills to deal with the aches and pains. Those ****ers are ubiquitous.

Interesting, size. But would those pain meds satisfy the physical dependency of the heroine itself? I assume not. Would that lead to either seeking help (most likely psychological to start?) or to addiction to many drugs and eventual overdose experimenting toward the 'fix?'

I think high quantities of oxy or Vicodin would satisfy the biochemical habits attained with heroin. They're all opiates.

Now, heroin users caught up in the culture of use that surrounds heroin... they'd be less satisfied. We're speaking probablistically, of course.

Like has been mentioned, I would think the person would be more likely to become addicted to something. Subconsciously they would be craving something. Anything could fill that void.

As has been said, the biochemical and physiological repercussions of these actions would probably lead the person to seek medical assistance for the adverse symptoms he/she seemed to be showing-- some of which could potentially be opiates.

Interesting, size. But would those pain meds satisfy the physical dependency of the heroine itself? I assume not. Would that lead to either seeking help (most likely psychological to start?) or to addiction to many drugs and eventual overdose experimenting toward the 'fix?'

Actually mostly they would. They use methadone, in essense an opioid, to wean people off of heroin, so the other drugs in that and related families would probably suffice.

If they had no idea what the source of the euphoria/withdrawl was from why do we assume they'd turn to pain meds?

Log said:
Actually mostly they would. They use methadone, in essense an opioid, to wean people off of heroin, so the other drugs in that and related families would probably suffice.

Most heroin addicts that use methadone to wean themselves off said heroin end up methadone addicts.

So I was thinking about addiction the other day and I wondered:

If you were studying someone without their knowledge and had pretty much complete control over their environment and slowly got them addicted to heroin by adding it to various items they consumed, sometimes their coffee, sometimes their salad, sometimes their chewing gum, etc. how would the addiction affect them? They wouldn't be able to identify the source of the addictive substance, so what would they crave? If you slowly weaned them off would they be as likely as your average heroin addict to start using again? I mean, they wouldn't even know it was heroin they were addicted to. Would it be something that could easily be triggered, like if they got some lortab after a dentist visit or something they would go full blown nuts for the stuff immediately?

Maybe it's a dumb question. I don't know. Was just curious.

If it was a female we're talking about, and you used MDMA.. What would the effects be like?

Mollies!

As has been said, the biochemical and physiological repercussions of these actions would probably lead the person to seek medical assistance for the adverse symptoms he/she seemed to be showing-- some of which could potentially be opiates.

True, but the hermopathial rhythms running through her gellafial stream may disrupt the gestivial flow to the collaxuary, no?

This post brought to you by UGLI baby

True, but the hermopathial rhythms running through her gellafial stream may disrupt the gestivial flow to the collaxuary, no?

Just give her MDMA, like I said. She'll just think the D put her in some intoxicated lustful high. She'll be yours forever, until her brain is completely mollied to the point she can't even remember who her parents were.

this would be true, however, you seem to be discounting the effects of the fermathine present in the gellafial stream. this would negate the occurrence of the hermopathial rhythms and instead present signs of flagetrumellation. the only tested remedy to this malady is to remove the collaxuary altogether and replace it with a robotic mechanism to mimic the effects of the biofunctlaterial system.

this would be true, however, you seem to be discounting the effects of the fermathine present in the gellafial stream. this would negate the occurrence of the hermopathial rhythms and instead present signs of flagetrumellation. the only tested remedy to this malady is to remove the collaxuary altogether and replace it with a robotic mechanism to mimic the effects of the biofunctlaterial system.

Wow I think you are way off base here.

Removing the collaxuary would IMMEDIATELY cause the subject to go into dianphormic abrosia which leads to acute hymertosis of the liver in most individuals.

Recipe for disaster.