What's new

Westbrook post game interview thread.

America is racist period, but the NBA is one of the most racially tolerant "businesses" in the U.S. and really a model for integration. I don't live in Utah but I don't think you can judge LDS today on the views of their founders. Utah may be a red state traditionally, but I have a sense that it's changing. A friend from grad school who has been living in SLC for 20 years and who is American Indian told me that around 20,000 showed up to hear Bernie Sanders during his campaign stop in SLC -- anyone else go to hear him in SLC on this board? After the debacle that is Trump and the corruption of the DNC, I think many are coming to their senses and will look to the Progressives for leadership -- at least, that's my hope.
SLC proper isn't terribly Republican. They have a Democrat mayor (heck, who is also a lesbian), and haven't even elected a Republican mayor since the early 70s. They would probably elect a Democrat to the US House if the city wasn't so gerrymandered.

The rest of the state is pretty heavily Republican though. It is pretty much how the Mountain West is in general, with Colorado being the exception, and Colorado is a recent shift.

Last edited:
late coming to this thread, and I haven't read all the takes, so excuse me if I'm plowing a furrow that has already been planted.

If someone says something out of line at a game, e.g. about a player's family, or racially motivated or insensitive stuff, it should be called out and shut down.

However, the sideline reporter , Gutierrez?, said the half time incident was a fan asking him "how ( his) ankles were? " The confrontation at the end of the game was reported by ksl as just the fan getting too close to him with his phone. Now maybe there was something said by different fans, at another time and he had just had it with the cumulative "abuse" but that does not rise to the level worthy of the response.

This is where he would be smarter not making a big deal of it. There are fans who love to heckle players and try to get under their skin. He just let the league know where to hit him where it hurts.

I hate to see the Jazz fan base painted as bigots and jerks because of a few Neanderthals, or because of an overly sensitive super star. And we can not have an honest discussion about it. Because, if you are white and you do not support RW you are "part of the problem." If you are black and you question RW , you are an "oreo." Either way, you have to support him, or you will be on "the wrong side of history"regardless of merit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using JazzFanz mobile app

I do not recall hearing racist comments in the dozens of games I've attended. But I've heard a lot of ugly comments, and mostly stupid ones. The one that sticks out in my mind is one drunk guy who kept yelling that he had a gun and was going to kill the opposing team. After repeating it several times, he was reported to security. It made me a bit uncomfortable, but mostly because it was such a ridiculous thing to say.

But I have rarely been close enough to the players to know what fans say directly to them.

Yeah I don’t know. I would truly hope fans aren’t crossing the line, and if they are the people around them should be reporting them to security and the arena staff should be getting them taken care of.

This is a bad look for our state, for our franchise, for our fanbase, and even to our players here and around the league. I get that it might be 10 idiots but those 10 idiots are too many not to get under control. If it’s a few people they should be reported and removed or noticed by security.

I do not recall hearing racist comments in the dozens of games I've attended. But I've heard a lot of ugly comments, and mostly stupid ones. The one that sticks out in my mind is one drunk guy who kept yelling that he had a gun and was going to kill the opposing team. After repeating it several times, he was reported to security. It made me a bit uncomfortable, but mostly because it was such a ridiculous thing to say.

But I have rarely been close enough to the players to know what fans say directly to them.
I had an occasion to spend quite a few games in the 8th row behind the visitor's bench and there can be some, what is the current term...salty?...language thrown around. I have heard racial comments and other things like that, and the worst of it came from the fans that sit under and behind the basket. Not sure why but that always seems to be the rowdiest part of the crowd in this way.

I had an occasion to spend quite a few games in the 8th row behind the visitor's bench and there can be some, what is the current term...salty?...language thrown around. I have heard racial comments and other things like that, and the worst of it came from the fans that sit under and behind the basket. Not sure why but that always seems to be the rowdiest part of the crowd in this way.
But what comments specifically? I’m interested to know what you’ve actually heard? And why it isn’t stopped?