What's new

What’s the point of this season?

The main difference between today's roster and last season's post All Star roster is adding John Collins. I get that the Jazz aren't giving fringe minutes to JTA, and they'll give fewer minutes to Samanic and Fontecchio, but the roster is otherwise the same. Our PGs are still THT and Dunn. Clarkson will get more minutes relative to Ochai. Kessler is still Kessler. Yurtseven replaces Damion Jones and Dok. The Jazz only held out Lauri and Clarkson for a handful of games at the end of last season. Sexton missed games with a hamstring last season, but he's not exactly a game-changer either.

Post AS break last year, the Jazz were a solidly below-.500 team. That's where they're starting this season.
So it went from end of season to post AS break and from .350 to .500. Ok, now you are doing better. If we are a .500 team this season (we dont trade rotation players for nothing at the all star break again) then we will make the play in tournament. Which is really all I have been hoping for this season. So thats cool.

So it went from end of season to post AS break and from .350 to .500. Ok, now you are doing better. If we are a .500 team this season (we dont trade rotation players for nothing at the all star break again) then we will make the play in tournament. Which is really all I have been hoping for this season. So thats cool.

(...I said "below-.500")

I think the one obvious thing is that the Jazz want Goerge to take the starting spot from THT, then likely deal THT. This solves a lot of the knots and tie ups that we face. It also makes it understandable why we wouldn't patchwork a veteran PG into the lineup.

It looks like the Jazz want this to happen sooner than I would have figured.

Unless we suck so bad we can't get around it, I'm pretty sure the Jazz don't want or need a new late lottery rookie from a mid draft on the team. We have to sort our current youth.

I can't imagine anyone watching him and thinking they wanted him after last season and the beginnings of this one.
I can't imagine anyone watching our guard rotation and not being intrigued about the idea of bringing in a great playmaker guard who can space the floor.

I can't imagine anyone watching our guard rotation and not being intrigued about the idea of bringing in a great playmaker guard who can space the floor.
That 1-9 last game really spaced things out. Same with that chucking shellfish no defense play last year that killed his team and 33% 3 point shooting. Im happy to upgrade our guard spots but he isn't an upgrade.

That 1-9 last game really spaced things out. Same with that chucking shellfish no defense play last year that killed his team and 33% 3 point shooting. Im happy to upgrade our guard spots but he isn't an upgrade.
Trae Young isn't an upgrade over Kris Dunn or THT?

Okay

Ask Collins who he would rather be playing next to.

He was awful last season and a a net negative for his team.
I didn't know John Collins was making our personnel decisions. Collins went to the playoffs last year and took the Celtics to six games on a team led by Trae Young. He has also been to a conference finals with him.

Look, I'm not pounding the table over here. And he's not coming to the Jazz. But his strengths are exactly what this team lacks, and I won't ignore that just because he is a flawed player.
Bro

I don't even like Trae Young. If you guys think Kris Dunn and THT are better then it's because you hate him so much that you can't even think rationally.

I didn't know John Collins was making our personnel decisions. Collins went to the playoffs last year and took the Celtics to six games on a team led by Trae Young. He has also been to a conference finals with him.

Look, I'm not pounding the table over here. And he's not coming to the Jazz. But his strengths are exactly what this team lacks, and I won't ignore that just because he is a flawed player.

Bro

I don't even like Trae Young. If you guys think Kris Dunn and THT are better then it's because you hate him so much that you can't even think rationally.
You seem to be presenting me with a false choice

You seem to be presenting me with a false choice
What's the false choice? Don't really feel like I'm presenting you with any kind of choice.

Just stating that I believe Trae Young has skills that this team lacks, and is better than Kris Dunn and Talen Horton Tucker. And am surprised anyone would think differently (since Cy is banned)

What's the false choice? Don't really feel like I'm presenting you with any kind of choice.

Just stating that I believe Trae Young has skills that this team lacks, and is better than Kris Dunn and Talen Horton Tucker. And am surprised anyone would think differently (since Cy is banned)
Crucially, he would probably be available if we really, really wanted him with the assets that we have.

We would most definitely be sending George to Atlanta though, and a ton of picks. Would we be allowed to send back Collins?

I wouldn't send George or a ton of picks. I'd take the contract off their hands though, and throw in something.

Like I said, it's not gonna happen. He's not the missing piece to make us a contender. But he'd sure as hell improve us as a team.

GGT.

Go get Terry Rozier. Don’t think he’d cost that much (have ball handlers in Ball, Hayward and Miller) and he’s someone who actually knows how to run an offense. Can shoot, defend. Don’t think there’s many real choices out there, let alone one who wouldn’t cost much.

This has been a weird interaction