What's new

What’s with the hate for Donovan Mitchell?

I think there’s an unfortunate element of the fanbase that finds him, basically, Uppity. The hate he’s received for no reason has been pretty revealing. And I think it’s a major problem going forward. Going to be tough to ever have a star player here if this is how the fanbase is going to act.
:rolleyes:

People here still believe that Rudy is some great offensive player that just don’t get the ball enough when we’ve seen that even MVP caliber bigs don’t win in the postseason and Rudy’s nowhere near guys like Jokic or Embiid offensively.

Can anyone find me a max contract player that averaged 12 ppg or less in series his team got eliminated in back to back years and was still considered an elite player?
Perhaps there’s middle ground between non-existent offensive player and great offensive player. Perhaps you can effect offense without scoring. Perhaps you’re a dumbass. Perhaps.

Perhaps there’s middle ground between non-existent offensive player and great offensive player. Perhaps you can effect offense without scoring. Perhaps you’re a dumbass. Perhaps.
Perhaps we've never seen a team in modern NBA history build around a super max player that can't score outside of 3 feet. Danny Ainge understands how to build a winner, he knew Rudy wasn't the guy you build around, keep crying.

People on here hate Don because...

They hate young successful American black men.
Or they love Rudy so much and Don/Rudy didn't get along.
Or it's easier to blame one person rather than just acknowledge it was failure by all.
Or its just part of society to have somebody to be mad at.
Or they don't like that people like me chose to support a Don vision over a Rudy vision.

I've been around this site/forum for a long, long time. This fanbase always scapegoats somebody. They always have a player they needle. This fanbase, and much of this forum, has loser fans with a loser mentality.

Winning franchises get behind their players, critique their weaknesses but root for the best. Jazz fans just create toxicity.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app
This is lazy thinking.

Let’s say all of the posters that said they hate DM are honest. 5 out of all the fans do, so what.
Fans get worked up over their teams. It’s what fanatics do. They argue, have a mix of great, good, meh, and stupid takes. Sometimes these posters using fake names troll for various reasons.
Yes this place tends to nitpick some player constantly. It’s just what happens.

Winning teams have supportive fans…. Duh. Which came first though? 100% supporting fans, or the trophy? Any team that brings a trophy here will be heroes for life, period.

If they won a title, DM showing seeming fake/rehearsed over the years will get zero mentions. Rudy being stupid with a mic at the outbreak of COVID won’t get mentions. However, those two team stars going at it like petty kids until the whole thing gets blown up will get various mentions and opinions as it should.

Wasted opportunities, when it didn’t have to be like this. I’m 99% sure this is the subtext to all the text you read and overreact to.

The deep seeded racist ideology runs strong in Utah. People have been dragging Don but all of the sudden everyone loves him, lol.
This is bullcrap and you know it. He was embraced from day 1 after Hayward walked. He was idolized. The honeymoon wore off and now that some people question him the whole fan base hates him? Sound logic again.

This is bullcrap and you know it. He was embraced from day 1 after Hayward walked. He was idolized. The honeymoon wore off and now that some people question him the whole fan base hates him? Sound logic again.
Everyone outside of this board including our fans and fans of other teams recognizes it.

Again... I don't hate him.

But the way he's conducted himself for the last 2 years has left very bad taste in my mouth. You can check my posting history. I used to love Mitchell. I've defended him against the chucker insults countless times, and for the record I still think they are out of line. I thought we were on a path for perennial contention with a two way superstar in Donovan and the best defensive player of the generation in Rudy. Somewhere along the way something changed in him. He left this team and this whole fanbase in limbo for half a year after the COVID BS, when it would have cost him nothing to calm the spirits down... started forcing well respected people out of the team. Stopped playing defense... like... I perfectly understood he will never be a stopper with the offensive load he had to carry, but he stopped even trying at some point. Stopped passing to his co-star on the team... Then the toxic leaks in the media... YUK! That was shameful. And of course the constant non-stop rumors that he's not long for the team. And those are fed by him and/or his agency ("unsettled and unnerved and questioning the direction fo the franchise", refusing to give even the mildest commitment to this team after a heartbreaking loss and exit from the playoffs... and again... he's leaving us in limbo for the summer to ponder the "direction of the franchise" and whether its only remaining star is invested and committed in our team's future or just looking for the most expedient way out).

I just can't trust and don't trust a word coming out of his mouth. It all feels fake, it feels like a setup.

Let me put it like this. Whatever is at the bottom of Donovan's heart, whatever he wants to do the most, I want the Jazz to do that! If he truly wants to stay here and is invested in the long-term success of this team - KEEP HIM! If he wants in, I want him on the team! If he is willing to give the Ainge the time and the chance to retool/rebuild around him), I'm perfectly good with keeping him and going forward with him as the star of the franchise.

On the other hand... IF all the rumors and indications from him that he is not long for Utah and if he truly wants out, we should free him of the burder of playing for this team ASAP. If he wants out, TRADE him. If he's not committed to this team, TRADE him! And do it in a way to maximize our return. Once he's no longer invested in and committed to this team, we don't need to have any investment in his precise wishes anymore either - trade him for the best package you can get, and lets rebuild this team.

Last edited:
Again... I don't hate him.

But the way he's conducted himself for the last 2 years has left very bad taste in my mouth. You can check my posting history. I used to love Mitchell. I've defended him against the chucker insults countless times, and for the record I still think they are out of line. I thought we were on a path for perennial contention with a two way superstar in Donovan and the best defensive player of the generation in Rudy. Somewhere along the way something changed in him. He left this team and this whole fanbase in limbo for half a year after the COVID BS, when it would have cost him nothing to calm the spirits down... started forcing well respected people out of the team. Stopped playing defense... like... I perfectly understood he will never be a stopper with the offensive load he had to carry, but he stopped even trying at some point. Stopped passing to his co-star on the team... Then the toxic leaks in the media... YUK! That was shameful. And of course the constant non-stop rumors that he's not long for the team. And those are fed by him and/or his agency ("unsettled and unnerved and questioning the direction fo the franchise", refusing to give even the mildest commitment to this team after a heartbreaking loss and exit from the playoffs... and again... he's leaving us in limbo for the summer to ponder the "direction of the franchise" and whether its only remaining star is invested and committed in our team's future or just looking for the most expedient way out).

I just can't trust and don't trust a word coming out of his mouth. It all feels fake, it feels like a setup.

Let me put it like this. Whatever is at the bottom of Donovan's heart, whatever he wants to do the most, I want the Jazz to do that! If he truly wants to stay here and is invested in the long-term success of this team - KEEP HIM! If he wants in, I want him on the team! If he is willing to give the Ainge the time and the chance to retool/rebuild around him), I'm perfectly good with keeping him and going forward with him as the star of the franchise.

On the other hand... IF all the rumors and indications from him that he is not long for Utah and if he truly wants out, we should free him of the burder of playing for this team ASAP. If he wants out, TRADE him. If he's not committed to this team, TRADE him! And do it in a way to maximize our return. Once he's no longer invested in and committed to this team, we don't need to have any investment in his precise wishes anymore either - trade him for the best package you can get, and lets rebuild this team.
Finally, thank you for having a reason.

Finally, thank you for having a reason.
People are not really hiding their reasons. They are pretty clear ... I've had posts expressing my reasons for distrusting Donovan in the past too. It's not a secret.

For me the opposite is a bit baffling. What's the reason for wanting to keep him and wasting resources trying to retool around him if we all know where this is going? What do you think is the chance Donovan is part of this team past July 2023? What about past July 2025?

People are not really hiding their reasons. They are pretty clear ... I've had posts expressing my reasons for distrusting Donovan in the past too. It's not a secret.

For me the opposite is a bit baffling. What's the reason for wanting to keep him and wasting resources trying to retool around him if we all know where this is going? What do you think is the chance Donovan is part of this team past July 2023? What about past July 2025?
I'd assume the best way to keep him here long term is to build a team around him that's capable of making a title push.

I'd assume the best way to keep him here long term is to build a team around him that's capable of making a title push.
I don't think even that's enough. If he wants out he will be out whether we are in contention or not... If we are really competitive it might keep him until 2025 when we will lose him for nothing. Just nothing in his behavior, nothing in his public statements suggests he wants to be here long term. Everybody who is anybody in the league thinks he will be gone sooner or later. And I can absolutely see why they think so.

I don't think even that's enough. If he wants out he will be out whether we are in contention or not... If we are really competitive it might keep him until 2025 when we will lose him for nothing.
If we make the finals or win a title I doubt that he leaves. He has 3 years left on his deal, can't be scared of what he's going to do that far down the line. If we get 9 seasons out of him, can't really complain.

If we make the finals or win a title I doubt that he leaves. He has 3 years left on his deal, can't be scared of what he's going to do that far down the line. If we get 9 seasons out of him, can't really complain.
OK, my challenge from the other thread... Build a team that will make Mitchell want to stay long-term. Try to be realistic(no 3 1sts for Luka type of trades).

(BTW if I'm Ainge I am offering him max extension next year and if he refuses to sign it, I'm trading him)

OK, my challenge from the other thread... Build a team that will make Mitchell want to stay long-term. Try to be realistic(no 3 1sts for Luka type of trades).

(BTW if I'm Ainge I am offering him max extension next year and if he refuses to sign it, I'm trading him)
I'd personally try to keep Don and then trade for one of Ayton/Collins and Ben Simmons.

Simmons, Ayton, and Don is a very strong starting place to build a contender.

I'd personally try to keep Don and then trade for one of Ayton/Collins and Ben Simmons.

Simmons, Ayton, and Don is a very strong starting place to build a contender.
How many wins does this team have in your opinion? Does it go past R1 in the playoffs? What team is it better than? PHX with KD(or hell even without KD)? GSW? DEN? DAL? MEM? LAC with Kawhi and PG13? MIN? Hell even Lakers if they manage to turn Westbrook into Kyrie? Who are we winning against with Donovan + Simmons + Ayton? Are you good taking the ball off Mitchell's hands to give it to Simmons? Because Simmons is completely and utterly useless off-ball. Do you think Ayton+Simmons give you any better spacing than Rudy did?

So we are again R1 exit. What happens next? Is Donovan staying after another R1 exit? We lose in R1, Ainge offers him an extension... what does Donovan do? He stays because he loves playing with Simmons who needs the ball and can't space the floor?

Donovan - Beasley - Simmons - Vanderbilt - Ayton
Wait... you had trouble with Rudy's spacing, but you are willing to put a lineup with 3 non shooters on the floor with Donovan? Really? And this team will be a contender?