What's new

What’s with the hate for Donovan Mitchell?

I do hate how the Donovan hate is mostly focused (by a lot of more casual fans) on what Don does in the off-season (not in Utah, hanging with celebrities, etc). I dont need a star on the Jazz to embrace Utah. I dont really care about the state of Utah that much either. If I was rich, I would be other places.

I wish the hate was more focused on his trash defense, his underwhelming playmaking, his stat-hogging, etc. The most I will hate him "off the court" is his influence in making the Jazz a terrible locker-room, but that is part speculation of course. Not as concrete or evidence based as his shortcomings on the court.

Keep it on the court. Off the court he is pretty great. He always shows up ready to play. He's generally gotten better each season in some aspect (though regressed in others).

but he did develop. dude just had the best offensive season of his career this last year. and whether you think he didn't develop enough and that lack of development was an issue of effort, to answer the question you posed, i don't think most fans see it that way. i think most fans see rudy as a guy who put in the work and played hard most of the time.
Also, Rudy has never gotten the ball enough in his career to truly fail at expanding his game.

If we gave him 12 shots per game and he still sucked at the stuff he kind of sucks at, that would be different.

Does anyone know what this is directly a response to? If it is really a dig at the organization then to me it is the strongest evidence he is actively being shopped and he knows it. If not, then why bite the hand that feeds you? Makes no sense.
He's talking about the fans for sure.

Also, Rudy has never gotten the ball enough in his career to truly fail at expanding his game.

If we gave him 12 shots per game and he still sucked at the stuff he kind of sucks at, that would be different.
Rudy does take about 12 shots per game. This season he took 8 shots per game and 7 free throws per game. It doesn't count as a shot attempt if he is fouled taking a shot unless he makes the shot.

I think Rudy could have gotten the ball more. Don and Conley weren't great at getting him the ball every time he was open. If he was playing with a Trae or LaMelo, I think he would have gotten 14 or 15 attempts per game maybe.

But now he's in Minnesota without a great PG. I doubt he's going to get 15 shots per game up from his around 11-12 here. We'll see.

This is misleading. Rudy averaged anywhere from 8 to 10 FGA per game the last 6 years. Six. Years. That's enough time to do something between workouts, off season training, training camp, practices with and without the team, and other training regiments. But his post game, much like his FT%, hasn't budged.

If he’s talking about the fans then he is just looking for excuses to justify wanting out. You can go look at any other players Twitter and you will find the same stuff.
I've said this before. Don't look at his statements for insight. Look for the narrative. He's been playing that game for 2 years now! It's really not that hard to see what's happening. He's been setting a narrative for so long. Sometimes when it suits him and when he doesn't want to be directly associated with it he/his agency will leak it to woj to "report" how surprised and disappointed and unsettled and unnerved he is. Sometimes he will put it out himself. Or rather... a statement will be conspicuous in its absence. Example - go look for any sort of statement on the new coach. ANYTHING. He's been posting about working out with Bam and Lebron, he's been posting about Royce, he's been posting about baseball in NY, he's been posting about his visit to Louisville, about women rights... (nothing wrong with ANY of this BTW). But there is one thing that's suspiciously missing - NOTHING about the Jazz or the new coach. Literally NOTHING.

This is misleading. Rudy averaged anywhere from 8 to 10 FGA per game the last 6 years. Six. Years. That's enough time to do something between workouts, off season training, training camp, practices with and without the team, and other training regiments. But his post game, much like his FT%, hasn't budged.
lmao what? The French National Team proved Gobert has more game than what he has been allowed to show in Utah. I'm not saying "Omg he is Hakeem" but if he got more chances to fail, he would be better. It's common sense. Practice reps can only do so much.

How is that misleading then you post that garbage? What kind of shots are those? They arent the kind of shots that are expanding his game. They are put backs, oops, dump off, etc.

And you must be blind as hell to have not noticed the massive improvement in his FT shot this year. And Im not even talking about the %, which was a career high, Im talking about the quality and consistency of the release.

About Rudy and his limited offense. I want to point out that when the Jazz gave him his first big contract they specifically asked him to improve on the things he's good at and that they do NOT want him to be focal point of the offense. The statement from our FO was that they are paying him for his defense and for all the dirty work he does on offense - tons and tons of screens, rim rolling and offensive rebounding. What at the time the Jazz FO were saying is that they want him to be modern version of Bill Russell, not Kareem. And this is what he's actually done with his game - he's improved every single thing he actually is asked to do in our offense - screen setting, rolling to the rim, hands, finishing, balance... his perimeter defense... Last season he improved his FT shooting to over 70%. Some players are just not built for complex offensive game. Rudy doesn't have the touch and his movement is awkward AF. He will never be a smooth offensive player with dribble moves or great jumpshot or finesse moves in the paint. It's NEVER going to happen no matter how much he works on it. Why waste time trying to develop a hook shot that will drop 30%. This was never going to be a strong part of his game. Hell, amazing offensive weapons like Jokic and Embiid shoot like... in the 40s on post moves. It's complete idiocy wanting Gobert to be trying those type of things with any regularity.

lmao what? The French National Team proved Gobert has more game than what he has been allowed to show in Utah. I'm not saying "Omg he is Hakeem" but if he got more chances to fail, he would be better. It's common sense. Practice reps can only do so much.

How is that misleading then you post that garbage? What kind of shots are those? They arent the kind of shots that are expanding his game. They are put backs, oops, dump off, etc.

And you must be blind as hell to have not noticed the massive improvement in his FT shot this year. And Im not even talking about the %, which was a career high, Im talking about the quality and consistency of the release.
Bruh.

SeasonFT%
2013-14.492
2014-15.623
2015-16.569
2016-17.653
2017-18.682
2018-19.636
2019-20.630
2020-21.623
2021-22.690
Career.638

I shouldn’t respond but had some thoughts.

Like everyone except @oneye , I was a huge Donovan fan and was all the way bought in. All the way. Things change and that’s okay.

I don’t hate Donovan today. I think he’s cut from truly good cloth. Him making power plays within the organization is all stuff that is on the organization from ownership to Quin, I don’t blame him for that. He succumbed to human nature, it’s okay. I do fault him for being a bit of a conniving little **** with how he utilizes leaks and “sources” (there is WAY too much smoke here).

More than anything, the timeline just isn’t right for him continuing on here. Not for him and not for us. Even if I full-out loved him, it just doesn’t make any sense. Whether he wants out or we want him here doesn’t change the writing on the wall here; the Jazz have signed 0 NBA players for their “retool” and have a roster that is half Timberwolves cast-offs.

I don’t know what I hope for him in the future. I don’t really like him but I hope I can cheer for him in the future. Right now, I’m mostly just done and truly don’t have much malice towards him. I’m just done.

Last edited:
I shouldn’t respond but had some thoughts.

I truly don’t hate Donovan. He’s been a bit of a conniving little **** which is all that I fault him for. Him making power plays within the organization is all stuff that is on the organization from ownership to Quin, I don’t blame him for that. He succumbed to human nature, it’s okay.

More than anything, the timeline just isn’t right for him continuing on here. Not for him and not for us. Even if I full-out loved him, it just doesn’t make any sense. Whether he wants out or we want him here doesn’t change the writing on the wall here; the Jazz have signed 0 NBA players for their “retool” and have a roster that is half Timberwolves cast-offs.

I don’t know what I hope for him in the future. I don’t really like him but I hope I can cheer for him in the future. Right now, I’m mostly just done and truly don’t have much malice towards him. I’m just done.
I honestly would not care if he went out and had a great career post-Utah (though obviously it would be great if he lost if Jazz picks are tied to his failures). If he lands on the right team he can probably finish pretty highly in total points scored and have a HOF career.

Yeah, you notice the huge improvement that just happened?
Like the one from 6 years ago?

Dude, I love Gobert, but I'd stop making excuses for him offensively. He's an all-world good guy and generational defender, but there is a reason we could never exploit smallball mismatches with him. To say he hasn't had a chance to develop his game is just bull****.

Rudy is off of the team and Donovan will be next. Then maybe we can get to some actual good conversations instead of both sides trolling and arguing with each other.
Hell no. We are going to suck *** and likely f up our draft picks. The entire conversation will be about how Don didn't play defense. Or Rudy had zero offensive game.

If Don gets sent off, we will be bitter for a while because we wasted an amazing era of opportunity. We just got an unexpected laughable boatload for Rudy Gobert.

Build around Don for at least one season. He's probably been disengaged the last season or so because everything runs around Rudy. Give the guy a chance to shine.

Like the one from 6 years ago?

Dude, I love Gobert, but I'd stop making excuses for him offensively. He's an all-world good guy and generational defender, but there is a reason we could never exploit smallball mismatches with him. To say he hasn't had a chance to develop his game is just bull****.
What a garbage poster

Yeah, he was stuck at league-record-setting 70% FG. That just sucks! I hate it when our big guy only gets 70% of their FG attempts. What a ****ing loser!