What's new

What’s with the hate for Donovan Mitchell?

I always think it's funny how some people still insist on blaming Utah's *offense* for the Clippers series. The Jazz put up an offensive rating of over 120 in that series. This would equate to the greatest offense in NBA history (the KD Warriors was 115.6, for reference).

Our offense was garbage against the Mavs, and people blamed it on the Jazz not being able to punish the Mavs small-ball. The Mavs then proceeded to go up against Ayton in Round 2, who is supposed to be the ideal center for countering small-ball, and the Mavs annihilated them over the last 5 games of that series. Ayton put up a blistering 5 points against the Mavs small-ball in Game 7.

The Warriors torched the Mavs defense in the WCF, despite starting two non floor spacers who each averaged less points per game than Gobert.

At some point, when reality disagrees with your theory, you need to be willing to cast aside your theory.

I always think it's funny how some people still insist on blaming Utah's *offense* for the Clippers series. The Jazz put up an offensive rating of over 120 in that series. This would equate to the greatest offense in NBA history (the KD Warriors was 115.6, for reference).

Our offense was garbage against the Mavs, and people blamed it on the Jazz not being able to punish the Mavs small-ball. The Mavs then proceeded to go up against Ayton in Round 2, who is supposed to be the ideal center for countering small-ball, and the Mavs annihilated them over the last 5 games of that series. Ayton put up a blistering 5 points against the Mavs small-ball in Game 7.

The Warriors torched the Mavs defense in the WCF, despite starting two non floor spacers who each averaged less points per game than Gobert.

At some point, when reality disagrees with your theory, you need to be willing to cast aside your theory.
What was our defensive rating

Build around Don for at least one season. He's probably been disengaged the last season or so because everything runs around Rudy. Give the guy a chance to shine.
Assuming DM stays, here is the chance. New coach, no Rudy to build around. This is the time to shine. Let's see if the FO can get some better players around him the rest of this off season. Even is it's all scrubs, DM should shine.

Can someone link the interviews where he acts so entitled and cancerous? I've looked but can't seem to find them. Not taking a side in this argument at all. Rather than take everyone's word for it, I'm genuinely interested to see this perspective that he acts better than he is so I can form my own opinion.

Thanks

Look at the Clippers series last season against us and then how they played against the Suns. You don't need a true big man to guard Bogdanovic, you need one to guard a 7'2 post player that can score though.
Malone used to guard opposing centers in the post, and wasn't much larger than Bogdanovic.

To be fair, Malone was 6'9, 250ish and hauled big truck tires around for fun. Bojan is 6'7", 225, and looks like Joe's wingman at the YMCA.
True, in the days when you would see an occasional three-center lineup. Bogdanovic is relatively sized in a similar fashion for today's game. Most of the Dallas series he was defended by guards.

Malone used to guard opposing centers in the post, and wasn't much larger than Bogdanovic.
Height-wise, no. Stature on the other hand was a completely different story.

If posting up guards wasn't useful, why would it have been so important for Gobert to post up forwards?
Because if Rudy, who is 7'2" 250 was able to dominant smaller players offensively, teams wouldn't have been able to go small and space us out defensively. Tough concept to grasp, I know.

Because if Rudy, who is 7'2" 250 was able to dominant smaller players offensively, teams wouldn't have been able to go small and space us out defensively. Tough concept to grasp, I know.
Except, teams do go small against Jokic and Embiid from time to time.