What's new

What are our problems defensively?

scootsy

I know there are a lot of issues with personal defense, but are there bigger issues also contributing? Overall poor team defense? Is it just personnel? Schematic? I know if we had solutions to these problems we'd be coaching, but I just don't even have an idea of what to or how to improve.

We are below average defensively at every position besides Favors, and even Favors isn't that far above average.

Guards can not stay in front of the opponents and that makes lots of pressures on big men (Teague, Ellis,Parker etc). Either Kanter seems more hesitated to show up for the guard or stay with his man or Favors tries to cover two players at the same time.

Quin is obsessed with playing one and one while defending an allstar to prevent perimeter shooting (Dirk, Millsap, Hibbert) No double teamcoming from help of forwards etc

Experience, chemistry, lots of training are elements of defending well and Jazz has less of these elements. Also, playing smart enough against different opponents is matter to defend. Playing set offense against Rockets and increasing the pace against Pacers help efficiency for the defense.

We are below average defensively at every position besides Favors, and even Favors isn't that far above average.

And once the opposing team gets Favors out of position, The Jazz defense crumbles.

I like all the responses so far. If we had a true pit bull out on the perimeter who could harass the primary ball handler, then I think things would change pretty quickly. For defensive purposes, imagine playing someone like Marcus Smart or Tony Allen instead of Trey Furke.

I think Hayward is above average defensively and gobert too

Reactions: MVP
I like all the responses so far. If we had a true pit bull out on the perimeter who could harass the primary ball handler, then I think things would change pretty quickly. For defensive purposes, imagine playing someone like Marcus Smart or Tony Allen instead of Trey Furke.

Don't want to sound like a broken record but Mo Harkless.

This makes me miss DMC even more...

Caption this pic:

puzzled-ty.jpg

Fuggin' DMC, braugh. He should still be wearing the note. Biggest head-scratching decision in the DL era.

Yup. He's like that one girl you were dating back in the day and for whatever reason you just messed around with her and didn't make her your girlfriend. DMC def got away. Miss that dude and his attitude.

I haven't looked at the responses but my initial inclination would be bad habits. Quin and his staff aren't going to just break the players of them after years and years of being enabled or not taught properly under Ty.

That and personnel. Kanter and Burke just don't physically cut it.

I haven't looked at the responses but my initial inclination would be bad habits. Quin and his staff aren't going to just break the players of them after years and years of being enabled or not taught properly under Ty.

That and personnel. Kanter and Burke just don't physically cut it.

Was just about to post this. Problem #1 and problem #2, probably in the order you just put them. Burks is adequate, although not great. Hayward and Favors are good, but can't make up for the other's faults.

I'd say the PNR defensive scheme is lacking. The bigs needs to hedge harder on the pick. Right now the soft hedge is leaving the guy getting picked and the big out of position. I remember watching the Clippers game and watching how they defended the PNR vs how the Jazz defended the PNR. Their bigs was hedging hard and fast stopping the PNR before it was able to be affective. The Jazz soft hedge allows the opposing teams PG to attack the bigs going down hill. So he has to back off and force the guard to shoot an easy shot to prevent the rolling big or close out on the guard and leave the roll man in a size mismatch with the guard.

A hard hedge allows the picked defender a chance to recover because the bigs stop the dribble penetration before it even starts.

I have noticed that Back side wings and guard crash into the paint on drives. When we already have 3 guys in the paint and you are covering a 3pt shooter. You can't come that far back in. But it is a double edged sword because we struggle to rebound sometimes.

I'd say the PNR defensive scheme is lacking. The bigs needs to hedge harder on the pick. Right now the soft hedge is leaving the guy getting picked and the big out of position. I remember watching the Clippers game and watching how they defended the PNR vs how the Jazz defended the PNR. Their bigs was hedging hard and fast stopping the PNR before it was able to be affective. The Jazz soft hedge allows the opposing teams PG to attack the bigs going down hill. So he has to back off and force the guard to shoot an easy shot to prevent the rolling big or close out on the guard and leave the roll man in a size mismatch with the guard.

A hard hedge allows the picked defender a chance to recover because the bigs stop the dribble penetration before it even starts.

The big doing the stay down low thing can work very well if the big has good feet and great BBIQ. Larry Sanders, Tyson Chandler, Anthony Davis, etc. do it well. Our bigs don't really have the skill set to hedge hard.

The basic problem is neither our guards nor our bigs have enough BBIQ in our defensive system to execute correctly. Hopefully by the end of December we will see some improvement.