What's new

What are our problems defensively?

I'd say the PNR defensive scheme is lacking. The bigs needs to hedge harder on the pick. Right now the soft hedge is leaving the guy getting picked and the big out of position. I remember watching the Clippers game and watching how they defended the PNR vs how the Jazz defended the PNR. Their bigs was hedging hard and fast stopping the PNR before it was able to be affective. The Jazz soft hedge allows the opposing teams PG to attack the bigs going down hill. So he has to back off and force the guard to shoot an easy shot to prevent the rolling big or close out on the guard and leave the roll man in a size mismatch with the guard.

A hard hedge allows the picked defender a chance to recover because the bigs stop the dribble penetration before it even starts.

Clippers have Barnes, Deandre, Paul etc. Athletic and smart players can defend pnr with lots of repetition. The formula is one athletic big man who knows how to block or at least alter shots, one perfect pitbull who knows how to make pressure on guards and one perimeter player who is at least mediocre (2004 pistons, 2001 philly etc)

Considering how 2 of our starting 5 were backups last year, and 2 others played behind Millsap and Josh Howard just a few years ago, under the worst coach in the league, I think they're doing just fine.

This is why fans were clamoring for the kids 3+ years ago over the vets. We could have taught them how to play defense via actually playing. We could have assessed who really cared enough to play defense and who had the attitude. Instead, we played guys like Big Al, Sap, Howard, Raja, Jefferson, etc. the future has arrived and where are those vets now? Are they part of our rebuilding? Ooops.

I think 90 percent of our defensive issues com from experience/bad habits and Kanter (he's always sucked and always will suck at defense. Too slow).

On thing that no one mentioned is defensive rebounding. In all three games of this road trip the Jazz are being killed on the defensive boards.

Take away the easy put backs by Millsap and Lavoy Allen and the Jazz win both of those games.

The team rebounding is poor right now.

On thing that no one mentioned is defensive rebounding. In all three games of this road trip the Jazz are being killed on the defensive boards.

Take away the easy put backs by Millsap and Lavoy Allen and the Jazz win both of those games.

just came here to say this. we need to rebound better. kanter and favors need to box out.

Sent from the JazzFanz app

I haven't looked at the responses but my initial inclination would be bad habits. Quin and his staff aren't going to just break the players of them after years and years of being enabled or not taught properly under Ty.

That and personnel. Kanter and Burke just don't physically cut it.
really?? Really?? dude it's just one page before your post... Show dome conviction here!!!

I wonder if this has anything to do with the jazz wanting to run as much as possible.

Maybe Burks, trey, and hayward, (or exum, ingles, etc) are looking to get to the other end of the court before the rebound is secured. I have not really noticed this happening, just thinking out loud and throwing it out there

Sometimes our best just isn't good enough

best.jpeg

Considering how 2 of our starting 5 were backups last year, and 2 others played behind Millsap and Josh Howard just a few years ago, under the worst coach in the league, I think they're doing just fine.

This is why fans were clamoring for the kids 3+ years ago over the vets. We could have taught them how to play defense via actually playing. We could have assessed who really cared enough to play defense and who had the attitude. Instead, we played guys like Big Al, Sap, Howard, Raja, Jefferson, etc. the future has arrived and where are those vets now? Are they part of our rebuilding? Ooops.

I think 90 percent of our defensive issues com from experience/bad habits and Kanter (he's always sucked and always will suck at defense. Too slow).

Yup, a LOT of inexperience here. It seems to me that in all of our games except for Dallas our initial defensive schemes are pretty decent. They don't survive much through the other team making adjustments though and we lose ground in the second quarter. The bench has almost no defensive continuity outside of Gobert's heroics because, with the exception of Booker, they are all 1st and second year players and haven't played much together. The Jazz generally open the second half with solid defense until the other team adjusts again. This tells me that there is hope, but it will take a while for the Jazz defensive philosophy to be learned and internalized.

It's harder to change REACTING HABITS than it is to change ACTING HABITS. I'm giving Quin until January before I give an initial evaluation of his defensive philosophy and acumen installing it.

I'd say the PNR defensive scheme is lacking. The bigs needs to hedge harder on the pick. Right now the soft hedge is leaving the guy getting picked and the big out of position. I remember watching the Clippers game and watching how they defended the PNR vs how the Jazz defended the PNR. Their bigs was hedging hard and fast stopping the PNR before it was able to be affective. The Jazz soft hedge allows the opposing teams PG to attack the bigs going down hill. So he has to back off and force the guard to shoot an easy shot to prevent the rolling big or close out on the guard and leave the roll man in a size mismatch with the guard.

A hard hedge allows the picked defender a chance to recover because the bigs stop the dribble penetration before it even starts.

Horrible idea. It's been tried with these bigs and previous ones and they couldn't get the job done. The big slips the screen every time for an easy layup.

It's harder to change REACTING HABITS than it is to change ACTING HABITS. I'm giving Quin until January before I give an initial evaluation of his defensive philosophy and acumen installing it.
Good call

Horrible idea. It's been tried with these bigs and previous ones and they couldn't get the job done. The big slips the screen every time for an easy layup.

The current scheme isn't working. So I don't see how changing is "horrible", but ok.

I've noticed that whenever the guard or wings gets beaten either through a pick or just a 1 on 1 drive, Kanter REFUSES to leave his man and help. I've noticed on a few occasions that Hayward or Trey/Alec comes over to him after and says something to Enes after the play in anger. Just keep an eye on Kanter with his help defense, it's Boozer 2.0.