What's new

What Became of Player Development?

Shaquille scored 11 points yesterday against the Raptors.
I still can't believe we gave away Shaquille Harrison to keep Forrest.
Quin is a funny guy. He cut NWG right after he had 15 points and was +9 in a quarter vs. the Suns. Shaq never had a run for us.

Our history with two way players is sad. Nate Wolters, Eric Griffin, Eric McCree, Naz. JWF. Bolomboy, Ty Wallace, Tyler Cavanaugh, NWG and Marcus Paige. You would think we would have hit on a higher percentage. I guess Niang and Royce will be it.
It's not "hovering around for 40-50 wins every year and exiting in the first/second round" we are talking about. We are talking about competing for a championship. And for that we will need more from everyone, including the player development.

There were games like the one in Philly, in LA, and in Minny when we were just one stop away from grinding out the W, instead we collapsed in the worst way simply because Royce alone isn't enough to get the job done. We desperately need more alternatives to Royce in crucial defensive possession and we need it bad.

Yeah, this is one of the complaints I don’t get. This team was built almost entirely on the margins and was heavily reliant on player development. Plenty of things to complain about as far as the FO, but hard to be upset with the results. It sucks that Jack Cooley never developed into a star but the team is still sitting at the top of the league despite that.

Cooley got the Big Dog Stamp of approval and the next thing you know cut. Quin must have been thinking "No one's smarter than me. To the waiver wire with this one."

It's pretty obvious Conley needs to go. He's too fragile, expensive and doesn't push us over the top in any way.

As far as Ingles, O'Neale and Niang, these are guys that just fell into our lap. Not a lot of player development was necessary as they all had skills.

that's hardly true. If you think any of those were as good their first year with the Jazz as they are now, you've not been watching many games.

It's pretty obvious Conley needs to go. He's too fragile, expensive and doesn't push us over the top in any way.
As much as I hated the Conley trade (and I still hate it) and as expensive, small, and fragile as he is he has been amazing for the jazz on court this year on both ends and in every way.
Can't wait to see him in the playoffs this year and I absolutely think he takes us to another level

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

I thought someone in here would comment on how well Forrest played on Sat. guess this is a bitchfest only thread

As far as Conley, some people are a bit fickle and some I imagine it is holding fast to their feelings last year and/or the trade price, obviously he is a huge contributing reason to the Jazz record especially the first half of the season.

I'm sure many people will remember pre-Conley trade where people would say all the time the Jazz need to take a risk to end up with the more talented player in a trade for once. That you worry about how the pieces fit, the price and the future later as the team that gets the player with the most talent wins the trade.

I did think it was a slight over pay on the trade, not because of Conley's talent that part was pretty on par but due to his contract size, MEM signed him to that huge contract and should've had to take a small reduction in what they got back. Once on the Jazz I pretty much just "excused" the contract (not the slight over pay) because the Jazz did not sign him to the contract and because they were pushing in all their chips, so to speak to acquire talent in a clear win now move.

I thought someone in here would comment on how well Forrest played on Sat. guess this is a bitchfest only thread

As far as Conley, some people are a bit fickle and some I imagine it is holding fast to their feelings last year and/or the trade price, obviously he is a huge contributing reason to the Jazz record especially the first half of the season.

I'm sure many people will remember pre-Conley trade where people would say all the time the Jazz need to take a risk to end up with the more talented player in a trade for once. That you worry about how the pieces fit, the price and the future later as the team that gets the player with the most talent wins the trade.

I did think it was a slight over pay on the trade, not because of Conley's talent that part was pretty on par but due to his contract size, MEM signed him to that huge contract and should've had to take a small reduction in what they got back. Once on the Jazz I pretty much just "excused" the contract (not the slight over pay) because the Jazz did not sign him to the contract and because they were pushing in all their chips, so to speak to acquire talent in a clear win now move.

Forrest is doing alright in don and conleys absence.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

Forest has improved with playing time. He is still just a mediocre PG as far as NBA PGs go. He has a long way to go to make a decent backup or even #3 PG.

Conley has played at an excellent level this year. Perhaps the best of his career. The Jazz are probably going to pay whatever the price is to retain him. If the price is too high, players like Niang and other young talent are going to be difficult to retain.

Forest has improved with playing time. He is still just a mediocre PG as far as NBA PGs go. He has a long way to go to make a decent backup or even #3 PG.

It is hard to extrapolate from a rookie with a small sample size (99% of rookies do not have a positive impact). I think he has a shot to become a serviceable backup PG. He looks like he belongs on an NBA court. as far as court sense, IQ, defense, athleticism, etc. More so than others on the "deep bench" . He needs to dedicate the offseason to fixing his shot mechanics.

I couldn't quite place it until last night but Forrest's shot has a little Ball brothers/Haliburton (Sacto rookie) look and feel to it.

But yeah for an undrafted rookie he is basically exceeding realistic expectations, if he can turn into a guard (PG/SG) version of Royce that would be a huge boon for the Jazz.

Yeah, this is one of the complaints I don’t get. This team was built almost entirely on the margins and was heavily reliant on player development. Plenty of things to complain about as far as the FO, but hard to be upset with the results. It sucks that Jack Cooley never developed into a star but the team is still sitting at the top of the league despite that.
Player scouting and player development goes hand in hand. Our player development certainly has work to do, but it's not like our player scouting is doing them any favor.

Take this kid for example. The Jazz has at least three opportunities to get him and he ****ing lives in Utah.

And now he's balling in Detroit and will probably get signed long term in the summer.

Shooting 40% from deep on over 4 attempts per game and we went for......Matt Thomas?

Now Imagine we have Mitchell/Conley out and JC who can't buy a bucket, and we desperately need someone like Frank Jackson off the bench to provide some much needed firepower. Oh wait, that actually happened......

Last edited:
Take this kid for example. The Jazz has at least three opportunities to get him and he ****ing lives in Utah.

And now he's balling in Detroit and will probably get signed long term in the summer.

Shooting 40% from deep on over 4 attempts per game and we went for......Matt Thomas?

Now Imagine we have JC who can't buy a bucket, and we need someone like Frank Jackson off the bench to provide some much needed firepower. Oh wait, that actually happened......

Good point! Also the Jazz once screwed up a draft pick.

I couldn't quite place it until last night but Forrest's shot has a little Ball brothers/Haliburton (Sacto rookie) look and feel to it.

But yeah for an undrafted rookie he is basically exceeding realistic expectations, if he can turn into a guard (PG/SG) version of Royce that would be a huge boon for the Jazz.
Hoping it's not just some Juwan Morgan type of fluke. The kid is getting some unique opportunities with Mitchell/Conley out and making the most of it. He needs consistent playing time.

Hoping it's not just some Juwan Morgan type of fluke. The kid is getting some unique opportunities with Mitchell/Conley out and making the most of it. He needs consistent playing time.
Once Mitchell and Conley come back there will be almost no playing time, at least for the rest of this season. Jazz have bigger fish to fry than prioritizing playing time for Trent.

Agreed there are bigger concerns, but him getting time and improving now really helps in the playoffs. If we get into any blowout games Q can confidently pull Mitchell and Conley sooner and we likely don't surrender double digit leads right at the end.

Agreed there are bigger concerns, but him getting time and improving now really helps in the playoffs. If we get into any blowout games Q can confidently pull Mitchell and Conley sooner and we likely don't surrender double digit leads right at the end.
If this were a normal year and the GLeague was still going, it would be worth sending him down to SLCC to play some games.