What's new

What do you think Smith, Ainge, Wade and Zantacs are thinking right now?

Basically say you do the Atlanta deal and it is Capela, Collins, and Atlanta's pick for Rudy... you basically pray Capela gives you 75-80% of what Rudy does... hope Collins stays healthy and has another jump in his development, and you pray that pick becomes the Duarte, Halliburton, Herro, Bam type of mid first that immediately hits. Its not super crazy I guess. The middle part of this draft is viewed as no bueno but I think there are still guys that could be good there.

You also hope Don wants to be here. You hire Johnny Bryant as the head coach.

I think you have to trade Mike... I think the cliff is next year for him... the type of deal I am thinking is doable is with Washington where they send KCP and Avidija for Mike. They need some pg help and have some big wing forwards they like... We hope Deni takes a big third year leap... he's already an excellent defender and he's very young. Keep Bogey or move him if there is a solid offer.

DM
KCP
Deni/Bogey
Collins
Capela

Does that get you excited?

Honestly...I don't hate it. Like you said, a few things would have to go our way, Capela would have to be good, Collins would have to stay healthy and keep developing, and we would need to hit on the draft pick. I would prefer to keep Bogey and bring Deni off the bench, and I think KCP would be a good fit next to Don in the backcourt. Would definitely give us better size and athleticism than our current starting lineup, as well as younger legs and hopefully more energy. I'd have to see what our bench would look like before I got too excited but that starting lineup does kind of intrigue me.

If we are trading with Atlanta, I'm demanding Huerter too. Here's why:

Capella does not have positive value with his new contract. His contract is pretty big for what he provides.

Collins is unhappy there. He has good value but not great value. Some would say he's overpaid.

Rudy has great value. Sure he makes a lot, but he drastically helps that team address their issues.

So yeah, I would demand Huerter in that deal. Sure we could take a late teen lottery pick or two, but we need to demand the proven player. Rudy is worth that much more than Collins at this point and time.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app
People don't look at Rudy's deal as value but an overpayment

People don't look at Rudy's deal as value but an overpayment
I think it's in the middle. He's definitely worth it now but might not be when it's finished.

Something like Rudy, Clarkson and Gay for Capella, Collins and Huerter is fair for both teams. Atlanta gets the best player who fits them perfectly and also a good bench scorer that they lack. Utah gets 3 good players who fit the Donovan timeline better.

If we are trading with Atlanta, I'm demanding Huerter too. Here's why:

Capella does not have positive value with his new contract. His contract is pretty big for what he provides.

Collins is unhappy there. He has good value but not great value. Some would say he's overpaid.

Rudy has great value. Sure he makes a lot, but he drastically helps that team address their issues.

So yeah, I would demand Huerter in that deal. Sure we could take a late teen lottery pick or two, but we need to demand the proven player. Rudy is worth that much more than Collins at this point and time.

And when they tell you to **** off what do you say. They need to keep some of their good players to work with Trae and Rudy and Huerter is one that is signed to a decent long term contract. You might get Bogey but he's not as good.

Trades need to be fair... if you think Capela isn't a good contract its hard to argue that Rudy is worth a ton on his. He makes half what Rudy will and his deal is one year shorter. Collins has lost a little shine but they will still have interested parties (SA has been rumored to like him and has a lot of ways to make a deal).

When it comes to Rudy a few things will work against his trade value. He's a center, he has a huge contract making trade partners difficult to find, and some folks don't seem to understand his true value... you'd think NBA insiders would be better than casual fans but they have to sell the trade to their casual fans.

We can make any trade seem amazing by simply assuming the other teams will give us everything we want but it just doesn't work that way. I'm not even sure we'd get the pick... and we need to get a lotto ticket with it imo.

Honestly...I don't hate it. Like you said, a few things would have to go our way, Capela would have to be good, Collins would have to stay healthy and keep developing, and we would need to hit on the draft pick. I would prefer to keep Bogey and bring Deni off the bench, and I think KCP would be a good fit next to Don in the backcourt. Would definitely give us better size and athleticism than our current starting lineup, as well as younger legs and hopefully more energy. I'd have to see what our bench would look like before I got too excited but that starting lineup does kind of intrigue me.
I don't hate it per se but I don't think its enough to keep Don happy long term. I think we end up getting around 50 wins and winning a round in the playoffs here and there.

I like Deni a lot and see him as a player that could pop... the defensive instincts are great... can his shooting improve? Does he have any creation/passing that could be unlocked? He's still young and I think could get lost in the shuffle in Washington with Kuzma/Rui/Kispert... you are hoping to buy him before he has a leap... and then hoping the leap happens immediately.

Those are the type of deals I hope we do if we do anything. They at least have some long term future value to go with the win-now mode.

And when they tell you to **** off what do you say. They need to keep some of their good players to work with Trae and Rudy and Huerter is one that is signed to a decent long term contract. You might get Bogey but he's not as good.

Trades need to be fair... if you think Capela isn't a good contract its hard to argue that Rudy is worth a ton on his. He makes half what Rudy will and his deal is one year shorter. Collins has lost a little shine but they will still have interested parties (SA has been rumored to like him and has a lot of ways to make a deal).

When it comes to Rudy a few things will work against his trade value. He's a center, he has a huge contract making trade partners difficult to find, and some folks don't seem to understand his true value... you'd think NBA insiders would be better than casual fans but they have to sell the trade to their casual fans.

We can make any trade seem amazing by simply assuming the other teams will give us everything we want but it just doesn't work that way. I'm not even sure we'd get the pick... and we need to get a lotto ticket with it imo.
So you're perfectly fine saying that Atlanta will give up Capella, Collins and a 1st rounder for Rudy but then get this fired up when I said I would want Huerter instead of the pick? C'mon now.

So much on this forum you're talking about how elite Rudy is then you start comparing him to Capella because of contract size and length? I simply made the point that Capella doesn't have that much trade value. Which is true.

Rudy Gobert and Jordan Clarkson for Capella, Collins and Huerter is more than fair. Considering Rudy is more valuable than Capella and Collins, getting the little bit more valuable Huerter for Clarkson is fair.

Last edited:
Rudy for bridges and Rozier
Donovan for Garland and Allen
Mike Bogey and Royce for draft capital

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

So you're perfectly fine saying that Atlanta will give up Capella, Collins and a 1st rounder for Rudy but then throw this fit when I said I would want Huerter instead of the pick? C'mon now.

So much on this forum you're talking about how elite Rudy is then you start comparing him to Capella because of contract size and length? I simply made the point that Capella doesn't have that much trade value. Which is true.

Rudy Gobert and Jordan Clarkson for Capella, Collins and Huerter is more than fair. Considering Rudy is more valuable than Capella and Collins, getting the little bit more valuable Huerter for Clarkson is fair.
Not throwing a fit... i don't even know if Atlanta would put the pick in there... and I said it a couple times. And yes Huerter is way more valuable than the 13th/14th pick in this years draft. It isn't really close imo. He's a solid two way wing player. He's young and on a good cost controlled contract. I don't think he's a throw in.

The comp on Capela is just saying he makes half as much and is a poor man's version of Rudy. I know Rudy is better... but Clint is a good player too. He makes half as much so you have to factor that value in. I think if he is overpaid it isn't by a lot... and if his 3/60M left is overpaid then what is Rudy's 4/120M going to be viewed as?

Collins is an eye of the beholder guy. Some teams may think his contract is an overpay... some may think he has more once he's free'd from the tyranny of Trae Young. I just think from Atlanta's side they say the trade is a decent upgrade from Clint to Rudy but they aren't going to go overboard... they also have Onyeka who they love. So worst case they flip Collins somewhere else and Clint bridges the time until Onyeka is ready.

Not throwing a fit... i don't even know if Atlanta would put the pick in there... and I said it a couple times. And yes Huerter is way more valuable than the 13th/14th pick in this years draft. It isn't really close imo. He's a solid two way wing player. He's young and on a good cost controlled contract. I don't think he's a throw in.

The comp on Capela is just saying he makes half as much and is a poor man's version of Rudy. I know Rudy is better... but Clint is a good player too. He makes half as much so you have to factor that value in. I think if he is overpaid it isn't by a lot... and if his 3/60M left is overpaid then what is Rudy's 4/120M going to be viewed as?

Collins is an eye of the beholder guy. Some teams may think his contract is an overpay... some may think he has more once he's free'd from the tyranny of Trae Young. I just think from Atlanta's side they say the trade is a decent upgrade from Clint to Rudy but they aren't going to go overboard... they also have Onyeka who they love. So worst case they flip Collins somewhere else and Clint bridges the time until Onyeka is ready.
Atlanta makes the most sense, but you're right. It's complicated.

We know that Collins wants out. We don't know how much Atlanta values Capella and Huerter. They gave them both extensions, but many reports said that Huerter was being shopped before the deadline. Atlanta couldn't shop Capella before the deadline so his name wasn't around. Hard to know where Atlanta sits on the value of those three.

Would you be satisfied getting Collins and Capella straight up for Rudy? I wouldn't. I would try to push for more. What sucks is that I don't know how many teams actually want Rudy.

Atlanta makes the most sense, but you're right. It's complicated.

We know that Collins wants out. We don't know how much Atlanta values Capella and Huerter. They gave them both extensions, but many reports said that Huerter was being shopped before the deadline. Atlanta couldn't shop Capella before the deadline so his name wasn't around. Hard to know where Atlanta sits on the value of those three.

Would you be satisfied getting Collins and Capella straight up for Rudy? I wouldn't. I would try to push for more. What sucks is that I don't know how many teams actually want Rudy.
Depends on the other offers. I have stated I'd trade both or none if it were completely up to me. If I was the GM and ownership said I have to trade Rudy and can't trade Donovan then the Atlanta offer may be the best out there.

Other scenarios I could see opening up:

- Indiana Brogdon and Turner for Rudy. Their owner is not interested in tanking. Having Rudy is more reliable than Turner because of health. Malcolm has been in rumors for a while before they got Halliburton... could see them saying Tyrese, Duarte, Rudy and whatever guy we draft high this year is good enough for us going forward. For us it depends on what you can get for Mike as well.

- San Antonio - If you could get Poetl and Vassell plus a pick they have cap space and cap fodder that will make the trade easy. Quin can have Rudy join him in SA.

- Charlotte? but this one is kinda dicey because they have some payroll issues coming. Rozier and stuff? Hayward somewhere in a three team deal and stuff... IDK.

- Memphis - They decide the time is now and its Adams, Melton, picks, cap relief type of deal. This is obviously a hard one to swallow because Memphis may become the title favorite. A Ja/Rudy pick and roll could be devastating. JJJ/Rudy on defense might be amazing. I'd make sure it cost a lot if we did it... or that there weren't other deals out there.

- Knicks? I am not taking back Randle's deal. It'd be really draft pick heavy so not a win now type of deal.

Depends on the other offers. I have stated I'd trade both or none if it were completely up to me. If I was the GM and ownership said I have to trade Rudy and can't trade Donovan then the Atlanta offer may be the best out there.

Other scenarios I could see opening up:

- Indiana Brogdon and Turner for Rudy. Their owner is not interested in tanking. Having Rudy is more reliable than Turner because of health. Malcolm has been in rumors for a while before they got Halliburton... could see them saying Tyrese, Duarte, Rudy and whatever guy we draft high this year is good enough for us going forward. For us it depends on what you can get for Mike as well.

- San Antonio - If you could get Poetl and Vassell plus a pick they have cap space and cap fodder that will make the trade easy. Quin can have Rudy join him in SA.

- Charlotte? but this one is kinda dicey because they have some payroll issues coming. Rozier and stuff? Hayward somewhere in a three team deal and stuff... IDK.

- Memphis - They decide the time is now and its Adams, Melton, picks, cap relief type of deal. This is obviously a hard one to swallow because Memphis may become the title favorite. A Ja/Rudy pick and roll could be devastating. JJJ/Rudy on defense might be amazing. I'd make sure it cost a lot if we did it... or that there weren't other deals out there.

- Knicks? I am not taking back Randle's deal. It'd be really draft pick heavy so not a win now type of deal.
The Pacers could make it interesting. Brogdon and Turner is decent, they have picks, and they could absorb more if we wanted to add in Gay or others.

The Pacers could make it interesting. Brogdon and Turner is decent, they have picks, and they could absorb more if we wanted to add in Gay or others.
At very least you make them eat Gay or NAW’s salary and swipe the #31 pick from them this year. We’d need rebounding on the wings but it might have the highest upside if Turner was healthy and if we got something good for Mike. I don’t think you could roll with Turner and Bogey though… so now your looking at like 3 sizable trades.

At very least you make them eat Gay or NAW’s salary and swipe the #31 pick from them this year. We’d need rebounding on the wings but it might have the highest upside if Turner was healthy and if we got something good for Mike. I don’t think you could roll with Turner and Bogey though… so now your looking at like 3 sizable trades.
Yep. I agree. The Pacers just don't seem to be a great fit unless we were trying to add on a bunch of salary. Which hell, we might be interested in doing.

The Hawks seem perfect for it if they have interest in Rudy. One big trade (Rudy for Collins and Capella with maybe picks) or one very big trade (Rudy and others for Collins, Capella and others with maybe picks). I like Bogdon, Huerter, Hunter, and Okongwu. There are a lot of possibilities with Atlanta depending on how we want to shape the trade.

Yep. I agree. The Pacers just don't seem to be a great fit unless we were trying to add on a bunch of salary. Which hell, we might be interested in doing.

The Hawks seem perfect for it if they have interest in Rudy. One big trade (Rudy for Collins and Capella with maybe picks) or one very big trade (Rudy and others for Collins, Capella and others with maybe picks). I like Bogdon, Huerter, Hunter, and Okongwu. There are a lot of possibilities with Atlanta depending on how we want to shape the trade.
I think I might prefer the Indiana deal to the Atlanta one. The upside is a little higher imo and the downside is limited. Turner is on an expiring so will be motivated and if he gets hurt you should have some space to play with in 2023. If he is healthy our defense should be good and he will add a stretch component we haven't had.

Get something for Mike... the Deni/KCP trade is the best one I see that is feasible... at least right now. Indiana takes Gay and NAW or maybe just Gay. If you can't find anything for Mike you could maybe slip JC in the Indiana trade and bring Mike off the bench.

I think I might prefer the Indiana deal to the Atlanta one. The upside is a little higher imo and the downside is limited. Turner is on an expiring so will be motivated and if he gets hurt you should have some space to play with in 2023. If he is healthy our defense should be good and he will add a stretch component we haven't had.

Get something for Mike... the Deni/KCP trade is the best one I see that is feasible... at least right now. Indiana takes Gay and NAW or maybe just Gay. If you can't find anything for Mike you could maybe slip JC in the Indiana trade and bring Mike off the bench.
I like the idea of getting two relatively young players on deals that are set for a while. That's why I like Capella (27 years old) and Collins (24 years old) who are both signed 3-4 more years.

As for Mike, I would try to keep him over Clarkson. I feel that NAW can grow into that role potentially, and Mike is probably more valuable to us than what he would get us back in a trade.

I like the idea of getting two relatively young players on deals that are set for a while. That's why I like Capella (27 years old) and Collins (24 years old) who are both signed 3-4 more years.

As for Mike, I would try to keep him over Clarkson. I feel that NAW can grow into that role potentially, and Mike is probably more valuable to us than what he would get us back in a trade.
No Mike is washed up with a horrible contract

ATL is the most talked about Rudy destination and it makes sense. They desperately need Rudy. I don't think Capela+Collins is close to enough. That trade would put Atlanta near the top the east and the Jazz would struggle to make the playoffs. Essentially, the Jazz would be swapping positions with the Hawks in their respective conferences.The Jazz should bargain to get Collins+Huerter/Bogdanovic+Okongwu or Capela+Collins+Hunter.

From there, I'd look to move one of Conley/Bogey/Clarkson at minimum. I like the idea of sending Conley/Bogey to NYK for something like Fournier+Reddish. That would give us a lot of size on the wing.

Last edited:
We will be fine when we trade Rudy
Will we though? Rudy is basically our defense. The jazz would have to average 125 points a game just to think about maybe contending. After trading Gobert the jazz would then need an overhaul just to compete because the defense we’d put next to Mitchell won’t cut it.

ATL is the most talked about Rudy destination and it makes sense. They desperately need Rudy. I don't think Capela+Collins is close to enough. That trade would put Atlanta near the top the east and the Jazz would struggle to make the playoffs. Essentially, the Jazz would be swapping positions with the Hawks in their respective conferences.The Jazz should bargain to get Collins+Huerter/Bogdanovic+Okongwu or Capela+Collins+Hunter.

From there, I'd look to move one of Conley/Bogey/Clarkson at minimum. I like the idea of sending Conley/Bogey to NYK for something like Fournier+Reddish. That would give us a lot of size on the wing.

Rudy would be a fantastic fit in Atlanta...him and Trae would be a great duo.

Rudy would be a fantastic fit in Atlanta...him and Trae would be a great duo.

He would be so good for them. They are already #2 in offense (behind us) because Trey is so great. Rudy is significantly better offensively than Capela in the same role. Rudy might average 17-18 with Trae passing him the ball. More importantly, he would turn their 29th ranked defense into a top 10 or even top 5 defense right away. That would make them one of the best teams in the league.

If Rudy was in Atlanta, you’d get a similar team to the 2021 Jazz but with a better balanced roster and tougher mental. If Rudy must get traded, I’d love for ATL to be his destination so I can follow them. Trae + Gobert is an ideal pairing.