What's new

What does Donovans season actually look like?

I think Mitchell will shoot slightly less often, but more efficiently. His playing time also should decrease a little bit due to the team depth. I predict, thus, just above 21 points, while taking around 15.5 shots in 32 minutes (compare it to 20.5 points, 17.2 FGA and 33.4 minutes last season). That is the best kind of improvement, IMO -- an improvement not in volume but in efficiency.

Good take, ghsartin. I think Donovan is going to look to pass more, especially to Rudy. I'm also hoping he plays fewer minutes. Got to keep him fresher for the postseason. Hopefully, Dante, AB and Allen earn minutes. And if the Jazz play well enough, maybe there are some games Mitchell won't have to play much, if at all, in the 4th quarter. That would also be my hope for Gobert. I think he averaged too many minutes last year.

Efficiency gains for everyone is what I'm hoping to see.

I find most of that realistic, however he will realistically average more like 27 points per game IMO. But, to be honest I’d rather see him average 20 points and 7-8 assists then 27 and 4

The Jazz have so much talent and they share the ball so much that it's hard for me to see him getting 25-27 PPG. I have no doubts that he could average that... I just think he's a team guy and he'll be sharing the ball. It's all about getting W's. :)

I really just don't see how he is in the super low 20's even with a reduced workload. He's still got the ball in his hands a ton, and will be our go to guy at the end of games. More free throw line appearances, better three point percentages. It comes quick, he is one of those guys where you look up and suddenly he's at 20 points and you don't even remember a lot of them.

But hey tempered expectations are good. I'm just trying to envision the scenario, and I have way more trouble than I do imagining him getting like 25PPG

I think he'll average 22 and 5 Assists and make the All-Star game. A lot of that will be due to Utah having to have someone there with their record, though it could be Gobert. On the other hand, why not both.

Yeah I don't expect 25+ from Don with the way this team shares the ball, but I guess I wouldn't be too surprised either. I do think he will average 5 or 6 assists a game though, particularly if the refs actually place an emphasis on freedom of movement all season.

I don't see 5+ assists either, 4 max.

I think he'll have more points on lower efficiency than the seemingly consensus opinion around here.

That's my bet, lock it in.

The Jazz have so much talent and they share the ball so much that it's hard for me to see him getting 25-27 PPG. I have no doubts that he could average that... I just think he's a team guy and he'll be sharing the ball. It's all about getting W's. :)

The team is exactly the same except for Allen. He was a team player last year too, and still put up 24 or so after he got going. To me with improved shooting and more experience, he will naturally score more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think he'll average 22 and 5 Assists and make the All-Star game. A lot of that will be due to Utah having to have someone there with their record, though it could be Gobert. On the other hand, why not both.

I think that if the Jazz are a 1 or 2 seed at the all star break both Rudy and DM will make the all star game.

If they are a 3 or 4 seed then one of them probably makes it while the other gets left off.

If they are a 5 seed or lower then both might miss.

The team is exactly the same except for Allen. He was a team player last year too, and still put up 24 or so after he got going. To me with improved shooting and more experience, he will naturally score more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, it's not the same team. There is a lot more depth at PG and the wing positions. From December on, his scoring, by month, was between 21 and 23 pts (he never averaged 24) and his shooting averages were right around 44%/34%. December was probably his most efficient month, which makes sense because he was then a marked man for the rest of the season. We'll see how much of an effect the seemingly greater emphasis on getting the ball inside to Rudy has on Mitchell's scoring. I also hope a better team allows him to play <33mins/per. Probably not, but he could use the rest.

I don't see 5+ assists either, 4 max.

I think he'll have more points on lower efficiency than the seemingly consensus opinion around here.

That's my bet, lock it in.
From what I've gathered Quin expects to play at a faster pace this year, considering Don was up to 3.7 as a rookie, he should be able to add one more assist a game easy.

From what I've gathered Quin expects to play at a faster pace this year, considering Don was up to 3.7 as a rookie, he should be able to add one more assist a game easy.
That’d be awesome. But the assists are really passed around in this offense. He’ll have too many nights with 0-3 to average 5 or more imo.

He is a good passer though, and that’s what I care about.

His assist will probably go up. Ignore-season is a good indicator I don’t expect a big up-turn in points for sure. I also think making the All Star team will be very tough because the west is stacked, and the Jazz start of the season is tough prior to All Star break. He deserves it, I just don’t think it’s happeningg next season. Rudy maybe, but records gotta be there which will be tough with the early schedule for both.

That’d be awesome. But the assists are really passed around in this offense. He’ll have too many nights with 0-3 to average 5 or more imo.

He is a good passer though, and that’s what I care about.
Yeah I see what you mean, I wouldn't be shocked either way tbh.

I'm going to leave this here (by Zach Harper):

"As a catch-and-shoot 3-point shooter, Mitchell knocked down 40.6 percent of his attempts. When he shot pull-up 3s, that accuracy plummeted to 29.3 percent. He took far too many pull-up 3s, keeping from truly threatening the defense consistently with his outside shot. As a spot-up shooter, Mitchell rated as one of the best in the NBA. Synergy Sport clicked him in at 127.1 points per 100 spot-up possesions and 48.9 percent from deep. For players with at least 200 spot-up possessions, only CJ McCollum and Anthony Tolliver scored more efficiently than Mitchell."

1 game analysis:

He played pretty poorly overall and got 24. He is going to shoot a ton, I don't think there is any doubt. So much will rely on his percentages this season, but I think he's getting to 25+ one way or another.

Watching Kawhi.

This is the guy DM should study, the way he uses his body is a beautiful thing to watch.

Nice to have the size and length kawhi has too doe