What's new

What happened to Derrick Favors at the age of 25 and can he bounce back?

I would lean towards yes, just because I find it hard to believe a guy at his age who hasn't had major surgery could fall of so quickly due to nagging overuse injuries.

We won't, probably, be able to sign him next year.

That was before Hayward left. Now we should be able to sign him, I think. Don't know the numbers but Hayward is now off the table. Favors agent was talking this way before he knew Hayward was leaving.

I would lean towards yes, just because I find it hard to believe a guy at his age who hasn't had major surgery could fall of so quickly due to nagging overuse injuries.

This. Plus, I know everyone talks about how he and Rudy can't play together. . . but they were just fine together to finish out the 2014/15 season with one of the worst benches in the league. Even without Hayward, the team is better overall from where they were two years ago. If he bounces back, the Jazz will be really, really good.

Now that Judas has gone, i'm really hoping Favors gets back to his borderline all star best and we re-sign him.

I guess none of you have ever had back problems before. Even seemingly minor back issues can wreak havoc for simple day to day tasks.. let alone getting smashed on a basketball court.

This. Plus, I know everyone talks about how he and Rudy can't play together. . . but they were just fine together to finish out the 2014/15 season with one of the worst benches in the league. Even without Hayward, the team is better overall from where they were two years ago. If he bounces back, the Jazz will be really, really good.

i don't see why he can't be a keeper. If he's reliable even out to about 16 feet, he can be a super important piece.

Favors + Rudy was the best defensive front court in the NBA last season by a massive margin. We should be the best defense in the NBA if he's back to form.

Rubio, Derrick and Rudy on the court together created obvious spacing issues on offense, though. Will be interesting to see how Quin attempts to counter that.

one interesting thing to remember is Derrick pretty much has always said how much he loves Utah and wants to stay .. is this a factor now in considering who we try to keep ??

Favors + Rudy was the best defensive front court in the NBA last season by a massive margin. We should be the best defense in the NBA if he's back to form.

Rubio, Derrick and Rudy on the court together created obvious spacing issues on offense, though. Will be interesting to see how Quin attempts to counter that.
Yes there's spacing issues, but if Hood, Jingles, JJ and Mitchell can knock down threes, that will be somewhat alleviated. If Quin can get any sort of improvement out of either Rubio or Favors. . . all the more help.

one interesting thing to remember is Derrick pretty much has always said how much he loves Utah and wants to stay .. is this a factor now in considering who we try to keep ??

A little bit I think. Now that Hayward is gone we should be able to retain Favs, Exum, and Hood. Could give out a combined $45M annually for them combined and still be 5-6 M below the tax.

I still think his talents would be maximized elsewhere, but now that we don't need the salary off the books I think you just see if he can get right again.

I'm going to throw my hopes in Exum and Hood taking a big jump. Rubio fitting well. Favs coming back into form. And a more healthy year in general. If we win 50 then awesome... I think Mitchell Hood Exum can grow enough that we will find a good long term running mate for Gobert.

Sign a Tolliver or Illyasova and some upside guys and let's roll with that team.

That was years ago. He ripped anything Jazz related off his twitter and knows he's been on the trading block.