What's new

What is Rudy's actual worth?

So....anyone hear about this $190M contract extension that Paul George is signing with the Clippers ?
I saw it

Even tho i think he's a great player and got some big overreaction on his perceived value after his performance last playoffs, that contract screams desperation all over It. They're giving a 48 million PO to a 34yo PG (who, you know, has PG injury history), that's nuts.

Double edged sword for the Jazz. The positive is that the Clippers just signed an awful contract that will limit their team building capabilities. The negative is that Rudy is significantly better than George Paul and he probably thinks he should be paid more
You honestly think Rudy is "significantly better" than Paul George? I don't think he is even better, let alone significantly better.

Last edited:
I saw it

Even tho i think he's a great player and got some big overreaction on his perceived value after his performance last playoffs, that contract screams desperation all over It. They're giving a 48 million PO to a 34yo PG (who, you know, has PG injury history), that's nuts.
They are repeater tax with no draft picks for years. They really had no choice. This was inevitable.

You honestly think Rudy is "significantly better" than Paul George? I don't think he is even better, let alone significantly better.
I do, and I think it is pretty clear if you look into the data. Gobert's impact metrics are generally better, his basic stats are arguably better, and up until the last season when George teamed up with Kawhi Leonard Gobert's teams won more often. Gobert and the Jazz also handily won the head to head playoff matchup with George and OKC in 2017-18. I'm going to go back to 2016-17 for all the stat comparisons because I think that was the first year Gobert was the best player on the Jazz, and George was well established at that point.

Gobert vs George misc.PNG

Gobert was better than George in PIPM, RPM, and RAPTOR 3 of the last 4 years (2 seasons ago when George was 3rd in MVP voting is the exception). Gobert also had a better BPM in 2016-17 and 2017-18, although George had the better BPM in 2018-19 and 2019-20. Gobert vs George impact metrics.PNG

The basic stats are about what you would expect, George scores and assists more (the assists difference is not as big as you might expect though, George hovers around 4 per game to Gobert's 1.5) while Gobert rebounds more. George gets more steals and Gobert gets more blocks, but aggregating them together gives Gobert the lead. And while George is obviously a better 3 point and free throw shooter than Gobert, Gobert's dunk efficiency means he clobbers George in TS%.

Gobert vs George per game.PNG

My data visualization in this post is pretty crude, but hopefully it's not too hard to read. I highlighted whoever's number was higher in green on each of the stats, although for turnovers and fouls higher is worse so the highlighting is a little misleading for those.

Sources are https://www.bball-index.com/2019-20-impact-metrics/ for the impact metrics and https://www.basketball-reference.com/ for everything else.

What are any of us actually worth? I'd hate to see what my spreadsheet looks like.

I imagine 20 out of 30 GMs given the option would rather have Gobert than Paul George. And they'd the ten that wouldn't you would recognize as the bottom feeders.

Rudy is better than pg, but can rudy plug into another system and still be great?
Honestly, you could plug Rudy into every single team's starting lineup and he would own. Maybe Denver is the exception because they have so much different expectations from the Center position.

The comment wasn't whether Rudy is good. Of course he is very good. However I think people undervalue Paul George, or should I say "George Paul".

So Rudy just turned down the max and demanded the super max. You really think he's worth that cause I'm for trading his *** for Myles Turner.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

So Rudy just turned down the max and demanded the super max. You really think he's worth that cause I'm for trading his *** for Myles Turner.

Where does it say he turned down the max and wants supermax period
Seems like Jazz and Rudy are still negotiating
They will probably settle some where in between

So I guess we will never make the playoffs again once Rudy is gone. We should actually just pack up the franchise and sell it off. Jazz basketball is over. No Rudy no playoffs.

Right, because that's exactly what I said in my post. :rolleyes:

Where'd you hear that... as I understand it he would like supermax but not full supermax.

And just for the record... I'm not giving him supermax right now. If he wants that I will play the season out and see him healthy before going to the full amount. 5 year supermax could range from 5/195 to 5/228. Regular supermax is a bit of an overpay I'd say... full supermax is definitely and overpay, but I'd do it next offseason if it was that or nothing. If he turns down 5/195 then I go into the season knowing he probably doesn't want to come back because that is a fair compromise. I'll see how the season goes and listen to trade offers during the year but anything short of decent stopgap talent and multiple firsts and I am holding on to him. Obviously if Boston comes calling with jalen Brown for Rudy I will do that... but they won't so not a serious proposition.

Right, because that's exactly what I said in my post. :rolleyes:
You said we wouldn't make the playoffs if we replaced Rudy with Myles Turner. How does anybody know for a fact what's gonna happen?

Clarkson is here for a whole offseason
Conley too
Don keeps improving
Oni and other young guys might emerge
Royce gets better

This all Rudy or nothing attitude is annoying. Reminds me of "we are going to be so bad if Hayward leaves" discussions.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app